PDA

View Full Version : Chassis System

jin starkiller
03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
I know that others on here have used different methods to secure there batteries and sound boards in their sabers. I was curious what type of materials people in the saber community use to secure them.

I know that the store we have the chassis discs and insert for holding the batteries and soundboard. I was wondering what others use in a 1 1/4 sinktube and MHS besides the chassis materials in the stores

Jenny
03-21-2013, 02:29 AM
I've been thinking about 3D printing a custom inner chassis.

CGompertz09
03-21-2013, 08:39 AM
For my first saber, I used a piece of 1.25 inch pvc sink tube. I sanded it down so that it fit inside the main body parts (doesn't fit inside he ribbed section though) and carved it with a dremel tool so it could hold most of the electronics. I've seen alot of really nice sabers that use chassis' like that, which is what gave me the idea.

hedgehog1
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
I've been thinking about 3D printing a custom inner chassis.

Perhaps something like this:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/674846/graflex-chassis.html?li=productBox-search

If you want it in metal is gets expensive very quickly. But it is a really neat idea.

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Back before the excellent chassis disk system available here now I tried plastic M&M tubes, pill bottles, film canisters and plastic and rubber hoses as well as the PVC plumbing tube...its a matter of finding something non-conductive that your electronics will fit in that is also the right outside diameter measurement to fit inside the inside diameter measurement of your metal hilt part[s]. You could even use wood of the required diameter and drill/saw/carve/sand recesses for soundboards, batteries, wiring etc. Just be sure of your measurements because potential chassis parts that may work in a Graflex or 1.5" sinktube may not always work in some MHS parts or 1.25" sinktube so it can be a good idea to take a vernier/dial/digital caliper or micrometer to precisely check before buying when you go hunting for potential chassis parts. Good Luck!