PDA

View Full Version : New Tool(s) for my workshop...

Darth Obi Don
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Right now, all I am able to do is ruin aluminum at a faster rate then by hand. But I will get there. Eventually.
Aint that the truth.I just did this tonight.Check out the drill chatter .Luckily it'll be inside the saber.

hedgehog1
03-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Right now, all I am able to do is ruin aluminum at a faster rate then by hand. But I will get there. Eventually.
Aint that the truth.I just did this tonight.Check out the drill chatter .Luckily it'll be inside the saber.

A buddy of mine who is a master woodworker says: the trick to perfect pieces is knowing how to hide your mistakes.

If only Tim sold 'saber putty'...

hedgehog1
03-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Well, I am starting to move up (just a we bit) in the tool world.

Here is what my metal working area looked like late Sunday night:

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/24/drillpress.jpg

A hand-me-down vise (it is a really big, but it was free!)
Bench Top drill press
2 axis drill press vice
My rotary tool with it's flexible extension.

You know how just owning a garage does not make you a mechanic? Same things for these tools. They all require I practice to really use them. Right now, all I am able to do is ruin aluminum at a faster rate then by hand. But I will get there. Eventually.

The bench vise has on odd story. I called my Dad to see of he wanted to make a hardware store run with me for a bench vice. He said I already had one. He is (nearly) finished building his new house about 2 blocks away from me and has all my wood working tools (and my big ladder and some other stuff, too). He left a big box under my workbench - been there for three years (with other boxes that came and went as he needed them). That huge and heavy box had this vice. He didn't want it anymore, so it is mine now. I will still want my ladder back from him someday. :-D

Silver Serpent
03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Right now, all I am able to do is ruin aluminum at a faster rate then by hand.

This particular statement amused me greatly.

I'd love to pick up a quality cross-slide vise that'll fit on my drill press. Maybe one of these days...

amwolf
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
My open carport is jealous of your garage. As for the ladder, I believe the tradition is to go over and borrow "his" ladder then not return it.

hedgehog1
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
This particular statement amused me greatly.

When we bought this house and I started woodworking again to do the things my wife wanted on the house, folks would see the woodworking tools and ask 'What do you make?"

I normally answered "Mostly, Sawdust."

hedgehog1
03-12-2013, 03:39 PM
... As for the ladder, I believe the tradition is to go over and borrow "his" ladder then not return it.

I tries this with him before. He has keys and just pops by and get's it back while I am at work. I supposed it all works out. I ruined a fair number of his tools growing up.

madmaxx
03-13-2013, 08:52 PM
drill presses are cool...i have one that was donated by my work....i don't think they know about it but still its the thought that counts. as for your ladder problem,i say go get it when your dad is on his roof

hedgehog1
03-13-2013, 09:13 PM
...as for your ladder problem,i say go get it when your dad is on his roof

Creative AND Evil - I like it.

DarthAlice
03-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Hahaha! that's what JB weld is for! I have also had some good luck with a product called quick steel (both can handle 500 degress in a powder coat oven)

hedgehog1
03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
OK - picture of my first and second attempts at milling a slot with a 1/4 inch end mill bit:

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/8337/firstandsecondmillingat.jpg

The lower slot was my first attempt. Then I made some adjustments to the x/y vise and my manual feeding speed, and the second one went much better.

Of course, not everything went as planned today. I managed to snap my 8x32 tap when building the anodes for my (home made) Salt Water Etching tank (that will be another thread, dedicated to madmaxx). I was able to pull the snapped tap out, so the only thing I lost was the tap.

Silver Serpent
03-19-2013, 05:16 AM
I have to say, the second attempt looks much better than the first. :)