PDA

View Full Version : New purple blade tests on the way

LeMoel
03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi guys im back in the saber making, I just wanted to brief everyone on my new tests coming up

TEST# 1
i know there are bright purples already being made but i want to test a possible theory of mine to make an uber bright purple using 5mm leds

Im waiting on some white 5mm leds to test if my theory will even work, im going to paint white leds with tranlucent acrilic purple paint much like the all ready colored 5mm leds, since you can get really bright white leds i thought it might be worth testing, im going to test it on some 5mm white 20,000 mcd ones first, i will post my results....

madmaxx
03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
i dont know if this will help but i messed with 20,000mcd green 120 degree leds.here is a little video comparison i did.from memory i had 2 or 3 strings of 40 leds in it.
http://s1266.beta.photobucket.com/user/maddmaxx666/media/LED%20string%20blades/3LEDstringtest.mp4.html
hope it helps or at least you find it...iluminating ...get it hahaa
edit: i just watched the clip. i had 3 strings of 55 leds each.1 string was 120 deg and the other two strings were flat cut 45 degree leds. a total of 165 leds

Silver Serpent
03-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Painting the LEDs is not going to give much of a different effect than using filters. In fact, you technically ARE using filters, they're just painted onto the LED.

That being said, you'll possibly end up with a brighter blade than if you used a single LED. String blades (when properly done) can be a great deal brighter than single LED blades. Keep on experimenting, that's what keeps our hobby moving forward!

LeMoel
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
"madmaxx" thanks for the tests i love them, question which blade are the 120 degree leds, and which are the 45 degree?? and which one did you find works better, im guess that the 45 degree ones worked better but let me know thanks and good test!

"Silver serpent" your probly right how ever ive test these leds and they were pretty bright

http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/165

madmaxx
03-07-2013, 07:59 PM
the blade on the right had both 45 and 120 deg strings in it.2 strings of 45 and 1 string of 120.i found that i got a better visual light spread but you cant tell that from the video.basically it had no dark spots.the blade on the left was just a p4 led

hedgehog1
03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
The video is really great. Thanks for posting it.

My favorite part is at the very end, where give a (semi) evil laugh and then say 'Sweet'. I could not help but smile!

It will be interesting to see the results of painted LEDs. What are you going to paint them with? This may be another use for nail polish; i know when my wife drips any on something plastic it really adheres to the plastic.

madmaxx
03-20-2013, 02:05 AM
if your serious about painting them i would suggest a dye instead... although the ones i used in the video were all clear... i'm not seeing the point of painting them when you can get clear leds in just about every color

LeMoel
03-22-2013, 04:27 PM
ive seen purple but they are really expensive and arnt that bright

Sunrider
03-23-2013, 12:15 PM
I have had a hard time finding good color purple leds, and they are always horribly over priced. By mixing colors is a lot easier to get the color you want. Be it RGB 3mm leds or a 40w.

LeMoel
03-24-2013, 05:19 PM
ya the rgb ones does sound better but i bought 5mm rgb leds and it will mix the green and the blue together but not the red and blue, the red overdominates it too much and i tryed a potiant metre from a buck puck and it would only turn the red color off not dim it enuff to see the blue, my reds are 7000mcd and my blues are 9000 mcd.

i found 5mm purple leds 10 000 mcd from here http://www.ledsales.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1108

Sunrider
03-25-2013, 10:14 AM
The problem is the vf is different for each color so they have to be driven on different circuits. Or you can wire them serial for a 5 or 6v vf

LeMoel
03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
yeah true i could, but rgb leds suck to do in parrell

Lord Dottore Matto
03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
yeah true i could, but rgb leds suck to do in parrell

How so? I would say that hey are exceptionally easy to work with and that Ohm's Law is not difficult to work with either.

LeMoel
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
well i find to attach them to eachother os more work, but if you cut off the color you arent using then it wouldnt be too bad i guess

Lord Dottore Matto
03-30-2013, 02:33 AM
well i find to attach them to eachother os more work, but if you cut off the color you arent using then it wouldnt be too bad i guess

I guess it is "more" work to connect in //. 3 or 4 solder pads vs. 2 solder pads. Not exactly sure what you mean by the second part of your statement, but if it means that you simply don't hook up the die that you aren't using, then yes it would indeed save you some work. That is, of course if you were going without FoC on your saber ;)

Oh, and about your idea of painting the white LEDs, it will work relatively well. I have been doing it for a couple of years for purple Crystal Pommels and they are nice. For a string blade, it think it would indeed work, but talk about a LOT of work, lol.