PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for non-Star Wars, non-silly sound fonts?

Matt Thorn
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Apologies for cross-posting (I also posted this to fx-sabers), but I'm in a hurry to get feedback.
For my wedding party next month, a dancer friend will be dancing with an illuminated saber of my making. It will contain a Petit Crouton 1.6. I was initially thinking of making it without sound, but now I'm thinking it might be nice to have sound. I just don't want it to sound like a lightsaber, and I don't want it to sound silly. (I know there are plenty of joke/gimmicky sound fonts out there.) The first that popped to mind was Novastar's "Steel Sword." But I'm not terribly up on the non-Star Wars sound fonts available. Does anyone have any suggestions? By the way, the dancer will be dancing a variation on a traditional Japanese dance of celebration. (That doesn't mean I'm looking for something that sounds "Oriental." 95% of the guests will be Japanese, and "Orientalism" will come off as tacky or weird to such a crowd.) Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Silver Serpent
03-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Have you checked www.saberfont.com yet? There's a ton of them available for sale, and most (if not all) have previews.

Matt Thorn
03-06-2013, 09:49 AM
I found them earlier, and, yeah, they have a ton. Which I why I'm asking for recommendations. ;)

Skottsaber
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Looking through my font CDs yields the following list:
Elemental - H2O
Nano Deus Tachi
Phoenix Pyre
Steel Sword
ResBlade
Chain Whip
Iron Inferno

Hope that helps ;)

Matt Thorn
03-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, Skottsaber! I've put Phoenix Pyre, Steel Sword, and ResBlade on my list of candidates, but the others seem to be no longer available. :(

Looking through my font CDs yields the following list:
Elemental - H2O
Nano Deus Tachi
Phoenix Pyre
Steel Sword
ResBlade
Chain Whip
Iron Inferno

Hope that helps ;)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I've always liked Satori Zen and Elemental Ice.

Matt Thorn
03-06-2013, 09:29 PM
I decided to go with ResBlade. Purchased it from Saberfont.com. Such a cool and strange sound font. Thanks for the suggestions!

Skottsaber
03-07-2013, 12:20 AM
A shame it's only a Petit Crouton. I love ResBlade with pitch shifting ramped up super high.

Matt Thorn
03-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I thought about that, too, when I saw the video, but I have to keep the cost on this one to minimum. Still love the sound, though, even without the pitch shifting.