PDA

View Full Version : Simple do it yourself safety plug

Darth Nater
03-02-2013, 09:34 PM
I just bought plain polycarbonate tubes and tips separate this time to save money and just make my own blades. Didn't have them cut down any so I could use the excess to make safety plugs with. Nothing fancy, just something similar to what the store sells for a plug. I found that a penny fits inside a piece of thick walled polycarbonite just about perfect.

Super glued 3-4 pennies together end to end, then sanded down one end with some 600 grit sandpaper. The copper wears off quick since the whole penny isn't totally made of copper. I don't know if its nickel or what they use for it, but in the end you have a plain silver color instead of copper. Cut the plug for size, sand it down some, and super glue in the little stack of pennies flush with the end and its done.

Not responsible for anyone getting in trouble for de-facing currency though. ;)

Johannes Huber
03-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Hi!,

Actually, that is a very interesting idea to begin from on designing a custom blade plug. The metal (whether coin or otherwise) acts as the desired stop for the direct LED light and could provide some very interesting base points for etching, pipe work etc. I have a piece I'm making as a gift for a friend who went through some difficult times and adding a unique blade plug sounds great. Thanks for sharing it!:D

Johannes

Ari-Jaq Xulden
03-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Nice tip DN. Knowing a few things about coins, the metal is zinc. In fact all pennies after 1982 have zinc cores. All pennies prior to 1982 are 95% copper aka bronze throughout. As for 82's themselves,they could be either, as that was the year they changed. The only way to tell is to weigh them.

Darth Nater
03-03-2013, 10:41 AM
I was kind of happy myself that in the end, the plug cost me 3 cents.

cannibal869
03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
neat idea - thanks for sharing! any pics?

The Yin
03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
neat idea - thanks for sharing! any pics?

I second that question. It sounds cool, but I'm half awake and I'm having trouble fully picturing this.

Darth Nater
03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
On the left, just a stack of pennys in there. Middle, same with the top penny sanded down. On the right - TCSS safety plug that I already had.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/Bassham29/2013-03-05_21-00-43_133_zpsb9e7637d.jpg