PDA

View Full Version : Anakin MR conversion

Usernames suck
12-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I have just converted my anakin MR to a luxeon 3 with the color disks that Tim offers on the site. The problem is that it is not as bright as the red, blue... led's and it doesnt light the full blade. Would it be brighter if I put some aluminum tape in the tip of the blade so it would reflect back down the blade?

The impression of the Sith will never return, you have lost - mace windu

Strydur
12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Are you sure the led is running at full power? How did you wire it up?

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LAN-ED-TUL
12-15-2005, 09:59 AM
you have to put some kinda reflective stuff, like a mylar film or mirror on the underside of the tip.

UltraSWG
12-15-2005, 10:06 AM
A white LED with a color filter won't be as bright as a colored LED, period.

Adding reflective tape won't make that big a difference, either. You really need to make sure you have the LED wired correctly, too.

LAN-ED-TUL
12-15-2005, 12:51 PM
white only puts out 65 lumens and the filter will knock that down even more

Usernames suck
12-15-2005, 04:48 PM
So how do u make ur lightsabers so bright then UltraSWG? I checked it out on ebay and u use the color disks too.

UltraSWG
12-15-2005, 07:16 PM
[?]

Usernames suck
12-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Well I still can't figure out how to make it any brighter. Anymore suggestions?

Usernames suck
12-17-2005, 01:27 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/darthruin188/12-12-05_2302.jpg
This is the hilt

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/darthruin188/12-17-05_0122.jpg
This is a pic of the full blade. As u can see it gets very dim towards the top of the blade. ( Taken with cell phone )

Strydur
12-17-2005, 11:12 AM
That is definately not working correctly. Take it back apart and post a picture of how you have it wired up.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

UltraSWG
12-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah, what Strydur said. Not even a 1 watt would look like that. Post a pic of the LED with the wires soldered on, I suspect you have something criss crossed.

FYI, the clash sensor wire and purple wire should be soldered to the positive post and all the other wires should be soldered to the negative post.

Usernames suck
12-17-2005, 06:54 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/darthruin188/12-17-05_1847.jpg
I accidently ripped the blue wire that comes out of the clash sensor out.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/darthruin188/12-17-05_1848.jpg
The left side is the purple and grey to positive and the other side is the brown wire is on the right and goes to the negative side.

Usernames suck
12-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Do i need the shock sensor to make it brighter because when i wired it up like you said it was the same but i didnt have the clash sensor hooked up.

Strydur
12-18-2005, 10:35 PM
This is how we currently wire them.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/scripts/05vader/18.jpg

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Usernames suck
12-19-2005, 12:42 PM
But is the clash sensor neccesary?

Strydur
12-19-2005, 12:57 PM
nope

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Usernames suck
12-19-2005, 01:47 PM
So how come mine isnt as bright then? I have it wired like in the pic you posted Tim. Do I need a collimator lens? Is everyone aware that I am using a white led with the color discs and if this is how it is supposed to look can i just exchange the white led for a green led?

Strydur
12-19-2005, 02:28 PM
You dont have any lens on it? that could do it also

Are you sure you have it wired like the pic? It looks like in the pic you posted that you only have 1 negative wire coming out of the sound module.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Usernames suck
12-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Well once I saw the pic you posted I rewired it. Is the lens neccesary?

suit_man
12-19-2005, 05:45 PM
i just wanted to say, i am pretty sure that mace windu says opression, not impression. [:)] just thought i would let you know, i could be wrong

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

Usernames suck
12-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I believe you are right. Maybe the last time I watched Episode 3 I didnt hear him correctly.

Usernames suck
12-19-2005, 06:17 PM
So anyway, what do you think the problem is because I have actually rewired this thing 10 times and it still isnt any brighter. Any other suggestions? I know that you just closed the store down but could you please send me a lens and a lens holder because I believe that not having the lens is the problem.

The opression of the Sith will never return, you have lost - mace windu

xwingband
12-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Well, if it's wired like Styrdur said then the lack of a lens would be the prime suspect. Ever take the lens out of a flash light? It makes it like a lantern. The light wants to go everywhere but up the tube. Same problem here.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Usernames suck
12-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Well then the lens must be the problem then. I hope that Tim will send me one soon. By the way Tim I have already sent you the money for the lens and lens holder and I was wondering if you knock a little bit off on the shipping because I dont think it should 9.38 for a lens and lens holder.

Strydur
12-19-2005, 09:46 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I was wondering if you knock a little bit off on the shipping because I dont think it should 9.38 for a lens and lens holder<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Usernames suck
12-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks Tim. You are a big help and as I continue to create sabers and I need parts I will order them from you only.

LAN-ED-TUL
12-20-2005, 08:19 AM
same here, Tims stuff is da bomb!!!!!!!

Darth Vengus
12-22-2005, 10:22 AM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Ya got that right! Best guy around to buy from[:D]! And he ships fast, too[:0]!

Vengus
</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and far more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

Stan Johnson
12-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Strydur, in that pic of how to wire the stuff to the led, what kind of wires are connected to the led (the red and white ones)? Are they soldered on one end to the led, covered in hot glue, and soldered on the other end to the Master Replicas wires?

There are those who call me Piemaster

Strydur
12-22-2005, 01:30 PM
which pic?

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Usernames suck
12-22-2005, 02:09 PM
He is refering to the pic that u posted for me to show how to wire the led.

Strydur
12-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh then yes what you said is correct stan

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Stan Johnson
12-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks man.

There are those who call me Piemaster

scaarmor
12-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I was wondering when the tutorial was going to be touched up. I heard something of this awhile back. My Anakin sucks! at least the light does, developing dark spots and randomly flashes when hit. I want to convert it but I am not sure of what I would need to order. The tutorial pics are good but a few words to go with them (like the basic led hilt tutorial) would be great.

Cain

LAN-ED-TUL
12-23-2005, 10:06 PM
tims pretty darn busy fillin orders and such and i know he'll get to it when he has the time.

scaarmor
12-24-2005, 03:14 AM
Trust me, I know he is very busy and in no way am I tring to rush him. When he has time he will get to it. Just wanted to know if he had an estimation? Besides, I am in no rush as I have other projects as well, just tring to touch base and see where this part stands.

Cain

Strydur
12-24-2005, 11:52 AM
The reason the anakin never got done is the extra machining required to make the holders. I have done a few by hand but have not offered the kit yet just because it takes allot of extra time on the lathe and then on the mill. As soon as I get a bunch made up I will finish the tutorial showing how to install my kit.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Usernames suck
12-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Tim,

Is there a way that yuo could make a custom led/blade holder that would still allow me to put the gold pins in the side back in so the anakin would still look the same?

GeluKhanGharr
12-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Tim, you've got a mill?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Awsome!

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

Strydur
12-27-2005, 02:49 PM
When I do the mass produced anakin holders I will try and make it so they can hold the pins.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Usernames suck
12-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Tim,

I got my lens for my led and it helped alot. It makes it so much brighter!!! Thanks

LAN-ED-TUL
12-28-2005, 08:26 AM
well on my latest work in progress, im making a ESB luke from a real graflex and using one of tims led holders in it. i placed the end of the holder flush with the bottom of the s-curve end. that way it doesnt stick out and i can put the ears back in. then pinch the ears and put blade through it into holder. underneath the top red button i am waiting for a mini momentary switch to come in, which will fire the sound board which fires up the led. my bottom red button is a redbutton thumbscrew. now where the pins on each side go, the shouldered down end part of tims holder is right under those big holes. so i drilled and tapped holes in tims holder and just screwed the pins in place. once i get the led lens and lens holder i ordered here, then i can finish up putting it together. the bottom hilt section is already got the sound board and batteries setup, just need the other stuff and its done. it sounds just as loud as that heiland vader ANH saber i built. it should turn out nice when done.

xwingband
12-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Were you aware graflexshop.com sells sockets that replace the camera electronics to make a 3/4 EL or LED saber? 3/4 isn't everyone's cup of tea but it fits perfectly into the graflex and looks exactly like the real parts.

Strydur
12-28-2005, 05:29 PM
I will have better ones setup for EL next month..I might also get some done for 1" blades..we'll see

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

jm1925
12-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey guys I am having Tim convert my Anakin ROTS I have a question, do you keep all the sounds including the all the clash sounds

Usernames suck
12-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Yes. The sounds in the force fx will stay intact.

LAN-ED-TUL
12-31-2005, 03:31 AM
yes xwing, i know of it. and as a matter of fact i have one installed in another graflex converted esb luke saber. its a replica from hong kong. its a larbel saber. i ripped out that crappy resin core peice it had and put in TGS's core piece in its place. it runs a blue el blade bought right here from tim. i had it in the one im converting to led and decided to put it in that old larbel replica instead. so that way i will have a real graflex with a led conversion.

that mini momentary switch i got works just great under the top redbutton. i have in in place and hooked it up to the led and tested it. http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=700550&item=MPB-131&type=store

soon as i get the rest of the waiting parts i can finish it and post some pics for all to see.

Usernames suck
01-04-2006, 10:02 PM
This question is for Tim... Do you have any extra switches for the MR Anakin because mine is messed up now...

Strydur
01-05-2006, 01:35 AM
I dont have any but I think someone said in another thread that radio shack sells one that works great.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Usernames suck
01-05-2006, 03:28 PM
thanks tim for the info..

Protein5000
01-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi,

I've read that a lot of people have converted their Anakin 2005 MR FX to Luxeon and I'm planning to do the same. Was just wondering how people mount the LED without a proper conversion kit for the Anakin?
Are the blade holders home made? Properly heatsinked?

Forgive me if I've missed something but I've never opened up a force FX and don't know how it's possible without the coversion kit.

Thanks for any help.

Usernames suck
01-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, I didn't use a heatsink I just used a couple of pieces of tape and tapped it down to the sides. It probably isn't a great idea but it works.

dbraxton9
01-24-2006, 05:53 PM
I just unwrapped my MR FX anakin saber. it was $27 "damaged" off ebay. the LEDs are dim in spots, which i expected. however the sounds are still working but it does funny things. first, the hum is fine. but the "woosh" sound kinda comes and goes when it wants to, whether i'm swinging it around or not. then, the "clash" sound requires a strike hard enough that i'm scared it will break the (WAY flimsy) blade. is it the batteries? the ones i put in were fairly fresh but they are the only ones on hand so i can't test it right away. anyone else had this problem?

"Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you do not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

GeluKhanGharr
01-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Take it appart and look for loose wires connecting to the board

dbraxton9
01-25-2006, 08:56 AM
ok, i found out that if i hit it with something soft like a cushion or my hand, the clash sound doesn't work so well, but if i hit something harder like another saber with a poly tube blade, it works ok. the "woosh" is what is giving me trouble. it seems as though there are 2 samples for this sound, a "woosh" and a "woosh-woosh" that seem to alternate at some frequency. the sound only corresponds to the motion about 1/2 the time, the rest it sounds like a ghost saber that swings on its own. am I right? are there more than one sample for this sound in the unit? also, is the sensor for the swinging motion the same as the one for the clash?

"Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you do not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

Strydur
01-25-2006, 11:28 AM
I am pretty sure there are 2 "woosh" sensors..1 for horizontal and one for vertical movement. Maybe when you are getting the double "woosh" you are setting them both off.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

dbraxton9
01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
so yours doesn't ever go "woosh-woosh" when you just swing it once? if not then my theory is wrong and there is probably something up with the sensor (maybe something pressing against it inside?). this is my first time with one of these sound effect sabers, so i don't know if i should expect a realistic response to the motions/impacts or if it is more of a recorded soundtrack intended to inspire the imagination.

xwingband
01-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Yup, it's there on mine too. Never noticed it really. It only happens once and a while so it must be a product of the way you swing it.

dbraxton9
01-25-2006, 06:02 PM
wait, xwing, are you saying yours has a "woosh-woosh" too? if it does then I'm not crazy. the thing that makes me think it's a separate sample is that it's a uniform rhythm of "woosh-woosh" (not sure if this conversation sounds dumber in print or out loud) and it happens about every other time i swing it, similar to the way those blaster rifle toys have 2 blaster sounds that alternate each time you pull the trigger. if it has two samples, does it have 2 sensors like stryder says? i haven't bothered to take it apart yet as it will surely take some time, but I would like to know what to expect when I do.

xwingband
01-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Yes, I get a double "woosh" sound depending on the swing. There's no set interval at all so I'm assuming there are multiple sensors and it's not a cycling sample but like you said a seperate sample. Not too accurate I'd say but that's asking much for such a small thing.

dbraxton9
01-27-2006, 07:36 PM
ok, so now we agree, the anakin makes 4 sounds : hum, woosh, woosh-woosh, saber clash and laser deflect, right?

xwingband
01-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Yup.[:D]

dbraxton9
01-27-2006, 07:52 PM
ok, now to figure out how to disable the woosh-woosh.

"Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

Usernames suck
01-27-2006, 09:17 PM
On the battery pack there are three prongs and you u need to loosen one of them so it wont power the sounds but that is just a guess.

dbraxton9
01-27-2006, 11:01 PM
well, i like the sounds overall, but that one in particular is driving me nuts. Episode I: the Phantom Lightsaber. the single woosh is quite adequate but the double one sounds like the saber has a heartbeat. kinda creepy and definitely annoying as it does it whenever it pleases.

"Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

GeluKhanGharr
01-27-2006, 11:34 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dbraxton9

wait, xwing, are you saying yours has a "woosh-woosh" too? if it does then I'm not crazy. the thing that makes me think it's a separate sample is that it's a uniform rhythm of "woosh-woosh" (not sure if this conversation sounds dumber in print or out loud)...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for a good laugh! [:D]

suit_man
01-28-2006, 07:54 AM
to turn the sound off, put a piece of tape over the contact ontop of the battery pack that is just on the right of the big groove, the groove that is to line up the pack when putting it in the saber.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

dbraxton9
01-28-2006, 09:46 AM
that will turn them all off though, won't it? Strydur said something about 2 sensors and I think he might be right, one for the clashes and one for the wooshes. if they can be isolated, i bet the sounds can be controlled better.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

Protein5000
02-01-2006, 05:22 AM
From what I can see in the Conversion tutorials, the clash sensor is originally in the MR blade, is this right? If so, where do you put the clash sensor when converting it to Lux so it operates properly? In the blade holder? [xx(]

Strydur
02-01-2006, 09:07 AM
On a MR sound module I have seen 2 different wiring setups. Some have the clash sensor inside the blade like this.
../scripts/05vader/15.jpg
And some will have it on a seperate little board like this
../scripts/05vader/17.jpg

The second setup is much easier to reuse when converting to luxeon. Both can be easily removed if you wanted to take the clash away.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Protein5000
02-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Ahuh, So it's the luck of the draw.

If it has the quick disconnect, do all the wires come connected to that white plug that gets put into the sound/battery back? Or is it a much different process to do?

Strydur
02-02-2006, 09:04 AM
They both have all of the wires coming out of the plug. The luke has the clash inside the module housing so there is no extra wiring for the clash sensor though.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

dbraxton9
02-02-2006, 10:21 AM
oh wow, that's good info.
do you know which models have which sensor set-up?

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

Strydur
02-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I have seen both the vader and the anakin have either setup. I dont think there is a way without taking it apart to know which you have.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

OB Wayne
02-04-2006, 01:32 PM
i saw the tutorial for the vader MR conversion and you show how to make a blade housing, but in the anakin MR tutorial, you haven't shown how to make the housing for a blade. i was wondering how you make your blade housing.

Strydur
02-04-2006, 01:33 PM
The blade housing is part of the conversion kit. I will have a anakin one soon I hope.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop