PDA

View Full Version : NB Issue

Sarich
02-16-2013, 06:25 PM
So, after extensive searching I couldn't find an answer and with TCSS on vacation, I turn to you fine folks!

I just recently acquired the MWS Nano Biscotte and I'm having an issue with it. First off, it cooked the SD card that it came it not even after and hour of getting everything set up, so Tim is sending me a new one, but in the meantime I took to one of the SD cards I had laying around and decided to use it. After partitioning it to be 2 GB and putting in the files, whenever I put it into the board the LED flashes briefly then the speaker starts making a weird buzzing sound with no light at all. Any help would be awesome!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Offhand, I would say you might have a bridge or a short somewhere.

You should put the card in first and THEN connect the power, then turn it on and see what happens.

hedgehog1
02-16-2013, 08:05 PM
If memory serves, the sd card can be no larger the 2 gig size card. Anything larger than 2 gigs is not supported, nor are cards using the sdhc format.

I believe that when others used an sdhc card, they had the same behavior form the sound board. Another possibility to consider.

SophiannaKatan
02-16-2013, 08:15 PM
So, after extensive searching I couldn't find an answer and with TCSS on vacation, I turn to you fine folks!

I just recently acquired the MWS Nano Biscotte and I'm having an issue with it. First off, it cooked the SD card that it came it not even after and hour of getting everything set up, so Tim is sending me a new one, but in the meantime I took to one of the SD cards I had laying around and decided to use it. After partitioning it to be 2 GB and putting in the files, whenever I put it into the board the LED flashes briefly then the speaker starts making a weird buzzing sound with no light at all. Any help would be awesome!

I had the same issue - I thought it was the sound card itself, so I bought a 2nd one to replace it.

But when the new one arrived I discovered that it too had the same issue. On a whim, I popped the new SD card in, and it worked.

So I wired up the old one, and guess what? It worked too. The SD card reads fine in my computer, mind you, so I dunno what the issue really is. I'll be doing a bit of R&D on this one, see if I can peg the problem.

SKA

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
If memory serves, the sd card can be no larger the 2 gig size card. Anything larger than 2 gigs is not supported, nor are cards using the sdhc format.

I believe that when others used an sdhc card, they had the same behavior form the sound board. Another possibility to consider.

Correct, verify that the 2 GB partition of your SD card is formatted using FAT or FAT32. It's not necessarily that the board cant support larger than 2 GB, it's that FAT and FAT 32 file systems max out at 2 GB. ;)

hedgehog1
02-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Sorry - poor choice of words: 'Format' has many meanings, I was was sloppy in it's use.

The NB, PC and (I think) the CF cannot read SD cards that have the SDHC (High-Capacity) design. Typically, most SD cards over 2 gigs today are SDHC type. If the SD card has the SDHC logo, then the sound card cannot read it.

Once you have a non SDHC card, then formatting with the SD the FAT or FAT32 file system is also required. Most SD cards are large enough to that they require FAT32 file system.

Most of my SD cards are SDHC type - so I know I would have to search/rummage a bit to find one that is 'just plan old' SD. :D

Sarich
02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah, it's in the SDHC format, but hey, it was chilling out in a broken cell phone. Like I said, I've got a new one on the way, but I thank all of you for the information. Once I get the new card in, I'll do a review of the saber I put together. Just finished painting it today and doing the appropriate weathering to make it all Steampunky.

hedgehog1
02-17-2013, 02:08 AM
... to make it all Steampunky.

This I really want to see. I have pictures of a wonderful steam-punk saber that really caught my attention. Looking forward to your review!!!!