PDA

View Full Version : After 4 orders of parts from Tim, I thought I should join the forum. Hello!

hedgehog1
02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Greetings!

Like a lot of folks, I started with a couple of Ultrasabers. Rather than satisfy me, they just whetted my appetite for more.

I think the 'tipping over the edge' point was when I lucked into a short production run of ten Crystal Focus 6.1 sound boards from Erv last week. I ordered one main (CF6.1) board and one color extender board (Cex); Erv marked them as 'shipped' about 48 hours ago. Now they are traveling from France to Portland, Oregon.

I feel like someone who just got a V12 engine and is looking for the 'perfect car' to mount it into. It is both fun and terrifying all at the same time.

My stress shot up recently when Tim announced he would be on vacation and away for just over a week. In panic I order more parts from him 'to get my fix' to hold me over until his return. Really. I did.

The parts I ordered so far are for sizing, testing, R&D and just plain messing about with (to be honest). Legos for Sabers... Ummmmm....

My plans are to build a saber around the CF6.1 & Cex and also to 'spiff up' the internals of my Ultrasabers. I am in no hurry - I want to enjoy the journey.

jedimastergarcia87
02-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Nice CF order. Wish I could get me one. Can't wait to see what you come up with and welcome to the forum and addicting hobby. xp I too started out with some Ultra Sabers but I want to take it up a notch in the future.

hedgehog1
02-16-2013, 02:14 PM
I was quite surprised to find units in stock when I visited the site. I was just adding my info to get ready for a chance at one, and there they were available. Thankfully, when I later add a Nano Biscotti to one of my stunt sabers, I can get that right from Tim.

Silver Serpent
02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
The Crystal Focus boards have been lasting a lot longer now that the PC and NB are readily available. Most of us don't need all the bells and whistles for our sabers, and the PC/NB fit the bill just fine.

hedgehog1
02-16-2013, 07:34 PM
The PC and NB boards are really nice. And they are a good value, too. The PC was my second 'Plector Labs' choice, if it took too long to get a CF.

There is a lot to be said for affordability and availability!

Now the wait for powder coating to become available again...

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Normally, most experienced people (myself included) tend to recommend you start out working/practicing on a NB or PC, this way you'll have the skills when you finally graduate to a CF.

hedgehog1
02-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Normally, most experienced people (myself included) tend to recommend you start out working/practicing on a NB or PC, this way you'll have the skills when you finally graduate to a CF.

Yes, starting with a simpler card makes sense. This is not the course most folks should take (and I may regret my doing it). I have a little practice in electronics, so I am hoping I will muddle through. If I freak, I can always shelve the CF and go for a simpler card first, and then return to the CF later.

Your words are very wise.