PDA

View Full Version : Nanobiscotte issues

SophiannaKatan
02-16-2013, 11:56 AM
So I've bought two Nano Biscottes, and I'm having some issues.

The first one worked fine until the saber was dropped and the wires where severed and needed to be resoldered - it's possible I damaged it while resoldering it - all I get now is some slight static sounds from the speaker. The LED tries to turn on, but then cuts out.

I figured I'd mis-soldered it while rewiring it. As I figured it'd been damaged, I bought a new Nano Biscotte. I went very conservative with the solder, thinking I had it right.

I checked the contacts made certain there was no cross solder, and then wired it up - and got no sound, the same slight buzz from the speaker and the same effect with the LED. Now I'm not the most competent with solder work, but I have a fairly steady hand.

Thinking I may have inadvertently cross soldered this one, I went over the solder points with an exacto knife, trimming away solder and even edging the existing pads away from each other - and double checked it again. Still no cross solder, and still the same effect.

My question is thus: What's the likely cause? I know they're pretty complex, small, sound cards, but I'm at a loss.

-- Sophie

SophiannaKatan
02-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Hot Damn.... it's the SD card. Looks like something happened with it when the first one was dropped to damage it.

I'll need to reformat it and reconfigure it. Heee.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Hot Damn.... it's the SD card. Looks like something happened with it when the first one was dropped to damage it.

I'll need to reformat it and reconfigure it. Heee.

Lucky you. This is why is is a great idea to have a nice secure chassis to prevent your sound card from moving around too much.

SophiannaKatan
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM
I suspect that it's more then that - there's not much room in the saber for -anything- to move once everything is in. Quite literally it only goes in one way, and can't fit in any other. I suspect that the damage to the card was my fault.

Now I just need to figure out a way to get the old SD card working with the sound card, and then I'm good to go. That, and a 2nd saber.

I would be using an internal chassis, but I do need to design it - the inside of my hilts is a smaller size the MHS. I have some ideas, but need a trip to the hard ware store.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Depending on how you crammed everything in there, you might have shorted something out if the board came into contact with the metal inside the hilt. ;) You could try reformatting and reloading your card and see what happens.

SophiannaKatan
02-17-2013, 03:16 AM
Depending on how you crammed everything in there, you might have shorted something out if the board came into contact with the metal inside the hilt. ;) You could try reformatting and reloading your card and see what happens.

Oddly I thought of that, so I used a loose fitting plastic brace to keep the card from contacting anything else in the hilt. Fair amount of breathing room.

I did reformat the card, but it didn't seem to work. I may have misformatted it however. I'll be checking it tomorrow morning as it is a bit late night.