PDA

View Full Version : MHS Emitter #4 question...

Dregan
09-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Ok, so I got my emitter/blade holder in my grubby little anxious hands, this little guy right here...

http://thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/prodimages/emitter4-left-selector.jpg

And I have a question... Is there supposed to be a thumbscrew to secure the blade? There's no screwhole. Should I tap one on my own? The blade fits very snugly, so I gould go without, or I could epoxy it in.

What should I do?

Jedi-Loreen
09-27-2006, 12:02 PM
You need to drill and tap your own screw hole. Tim will do it for you when you order it, for a service fee, but if you don't ask for that service, he leaves it up to you, so you can put it where you want it.

Did you order a thumb screw when you ordered the emitter?

The threads are not all started in exactly the same place on the bottom emitters, so you might just want to see how the holes line up to decide where you want the screw hole. Don't put it too low on the emitter, you want it to be up fairly high, you want the screw to have a good "bite" on the blade.

I have this same emitter, and I like how the holes lined up. I could center my thumb screw hole in line with my switch.

If you plan to duel with this saber, or even just swing it around, DO NOT do so without securing the blade! It will fly out of the emitter with enough force.

Why would you think about epoxying the blade in? Then you'd never be able to remove it.

james3
09-27-2006, 12:45 PM
If you drill and tap #4 or #6 holes above or below the slots and use set screws you will get a very nice even look with that emitter. You also get the added bonus of having the blade secured in more then one spot.

Dregan
09-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah, that's kinda along the lines of what I was thinking...

I think I'll use some stock fine threaded rod, and tap the holes for that. Then, cut and finish the rod flush with the emitter, and drill two (much) smaller hoes on the end to fit a security socket. The end result might actually look like something that is supposed to be there, if I'm good with it... Or I could just use set screws and be done with it...

Oh, and Tim, if ya read this, ya might want to put a link to the drill & tap service on each of the emitter webstore pages - that way people know in advance that they gots to do this. I'd have hapily paid for you to sink a couple of holes, and just have it already done, if I had but known about it...

xwingband
09-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Well, it's assumed that if you part it by going through the pages you know what you're doing. If you build it through the MHS the option is there. Not an entirly bad idea though.

danissith8
10-19-2006, 06:39 PM
How do you mount the heatsink to this emitter?
Iwoul really appreciate it.

xwingband
10-19-2006, 06:46 PM
The same as all MHS ones. It sandwiches between either the adapter or another MHS part.

DACOTA
10-20-2006, 02:06 PM
hey could you throw up a pic of how it sandwiches,thanks.i dont get how it holds to gether. im confused. :? :? :? :? :oops:

xwingband
10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
There is one up... it's in the wiring/cut-away diagrams section.

Let me try to explain it better though. Each MHS part has the threading. It's designed so that when fully screwed together there is a gap. That gap is exactly equal to the thickness of the heatsink. So until the parts are fully screwed together the heatsink floats and the wires don't bunch.

DACOTA
10-25-2006, 05:21 PM
oh i got it now there is an edge where the threads stop in the hilt tube and it sandwiches between the emitter and that gap,cool thanks.