PDA

View Full Version : Lux 3w Lumens

naashar
09-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Hey, folks! I didn't see an answer to this so, I'll ask: anybody know the lumen output on the Luxeon 3w? Someone asked me, and I tol' 'em, "I dunno, but I'll find out."

Don't make me a liar, guys! Thx! :D

Do-Clo
09-26-2006, 07:44 AM
It depends on the color of the led. you can look up the the specs for each color and type of luxeon here: http://www.luxeonstar.com/

xwingband
09-26-2006, 07:45 AM
It depends greatly on the color. Let me look them up on the data sheet...

Royal Blue isn't even in lumens.

Wait for the edit. :P

EDIT- White 80
Green 80
Cyan 80
Blue 30
Royal Blue 450mW (when I did a unit conversion this was 16 lumens)
Red 140
Red-Orange 190
Amber 70

Be aware our eyes change this, I expect it was more of a "hey, what are they?" kind of question though. You can only tell the lumens by side throw... like the vids I posted, the RED lights up the room while blue really only lights up to me.

naashar
09-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks again, guys. I appreciate it!

james3
09-26-2006, 10:25 AM
And I think the specs should be thrown out the window.

To my eyes red is the one that tends to not light up a room as well as Royal blue and green do.

xwingband
09-26-2006, 10:32 AM
And I think the specs should be thrown out the window.

To my eyes red is the one that tends to not light up a room as well as Royal blue and green do.

That's where the camera ironically is more truthful... my eyes say "Man, that green is bright" but then in a vid the red is amazing.

james3
09-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah, but I don't think that is so much as the camera is more truthful as it shows the flaw in camera design. Red tends to stick out while blues can be totally faded out. If you take a picture of a red barn against the sky the barn looks brillant but in reality the sky would be brighter to us for real.

xwingband
09-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, the camera doesn't act like our eye which would be the "flaw". It shows that the lumens aren't lying. The truth would be our eyes don't care! :lol:

That's why in Miami-Dade the fire trucks are a yellowish-green. The color get burned into your retinas where the traditional red truck is less noticable at a quick glance.

james3
09-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Excellent color choice for those trucks.

It really is frustrating. My photography teacher was about half nuts but he was brillant in manipulating the camera to see what he saw. I never did get that good.

The main reason that I am a proponent of trusting the eyes is that the lumens scale is for purposes that we just don't really need. Of course the camera "validates" it as that was the purpose for it.

Up in Anne Arundle, Md. the police use a puke-sea green and it is just nasty but like you said you make no mistake about what you see.

The VA state troopers are dirty dawgs though. They use a dark grey/ navy blue deal and you can't ever see them till it's blue light time.

xwingband
09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
FL highway patrol does brown... they hide in the brush behind ramps and overpasses. I've never had a problem but I've seen an FHP do a 360 to nab a guy that passed me doing around 90-95. :shock:

james3
09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
So what's the problem? He was doin the speed limit for down there :P

Yeah, I forgot about the brown ones. Brevard used the white and green thing.

Just be careful as ya make your way through Georgia. Them boys use those Suburbans and they aint marked well :evil:

Ambo
09-26-2006, 02:13 PM
FL highway patrol does brown... they hide in the brush behind ramps and overpasses. I've never had a problem but I've seen an FHP do a 360 to nab a guy that passed me doing around 90-95. :shock:

cant help it X....forgive me....im havin a moment......take it as a playful jab....so your sayin he turned a complete 360 and kept goiong in the direction he started in?

james3
09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/pointlol.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/icon_rofl2.gif

xwingband
09-26-2006, 02:25 PM
He was had parked with his front up a hill behind a overpass. So he had to do a circle to get around the right direction.

Sadly I had to slow too... The speed limit was 75 and I was at least 80. At least it was slower than the person that got caught. :)