PDA

View Full Version : My lightsaber problems

Shahin
01-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Hi guys i live in the uk and im 14 years old i do not no what to do i cant aford to buy stuff off the custom saber shop i really need some help i do not no where to look to find some nice looking stuff and i dont want my saber to look like crap so please help thanks to everyone

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi guys i live in the uk and im 14 years old i do not no what to do i cant aford to buy stuff off the custom saber shop i really need some help i do not no where to look to find some nice looking stuff and i dont want my saber to look like crap so please help thanks to everyone

First off, Welcome to the forums.

I would strongly suggest you save up some money, if you really want a decent looking saber. What kind of saber do you have now? It might be helpful to post some pictures of what you have, if you already have one.

Silver Serpent
01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Well, this is not a cheap hobby, but there are less expensive alternatives to making MHS sabers. Building sabers out of PVC can save you a good deal of money, and they can still look great. If you have access to some power tools and hand tools, plus a soldering iron, you should be good to go.

The biggest expense you'll find is going to be sound. The electronics for a simple soundless stunt saber are not too bad. You'll need a high powered LED, a latching switch, a resistor, and some kind of battery pack.

My advice, is to read, read, and read some more. There's a lot of great advice here that will help you get on your way.

Battle_1
04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey, Welcome!
First off, im with SS on the price issue. A cheap stunt saber(No sound) can cost maybe $120, not including shipping. That is close to my first build's cost for the one im doing this week.

Skinnerman02
04-19-2013, 10:53 AM
A cheap stunt saber(No sound) can cost maybe $120, not including shipping.

Only if you're using an MHS hilt (which are nice and pretty and feel awesome in the hand, but tend to be pricier. SO worth it!).

My specialty is in PVC (and I'm expanding to resin casting fancy parts) because it's cheap, cheap, cheap! A basic stunt saber, with electronics and all, usually runs me around $50-$60 (usually just for electronics and the blade, because I'm too lazy to make one of my own), which hurts the pocket book a lot less. If you're a very creative person, you can even create sabers to rival the nice aluminum ones with none the wiser. I have a few sabers in the pipeline that should prove to be impressive (I hope), if I ever get the time to finish them :/

Silver Serpent
04-19-2013, 11:02 AM
The saber in my sig only cost me about $20-$25 in parts. It's just a belt hanger, with no electronics or blade, but it's proof that you can build a hilt without spending a ton of money.

MHS is awesome though. It feels great in the hand, and is just stupidly easy to assemble a decent looking saber, even for a first-timer. The electronics are where your real costs will lie. Especially if you want sound.