PDA

View Full Version : Saber desigen idea prototype!!

MKnight
01-20-2013, 10:15 AM

i was going to do something like this for a future build, blue and weather the inside then use a sleve with the holes so it looks like the above.

amwolf
01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Nifty look, but it's the shy side of 15" long...

MKnight
01-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Double handed, Im faster with two hands ;-) Im tying to keep it modular tho...

Is there a limit on saber size? Should they be small as a default?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Generally, most sabers are anywhere from 11-13 inches long.

As for your design, it has some promise, BUT I think that the shroud work OVER a ribbed section isn't that great, plus it's long.

MKnight
01-20-2013, 02:23 PM
So shorter...

Im trying to create a complex look with a sleek and clean finish, that has a slightly aggressive look to it..

Unsure on the shroud variations what do you think looks good?

Maybe a white powder coat with blued alloy shroud... Im trying to create detail but simple at the same time!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-20-2013, 02:26 PM
The problem you have with that saber is that you have a tad too much going on. Look up my Traveler build, that's a unique, yet fairly sleek and clean build. You should spend some time in the gallery - and REALLY look around

nartules
01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Keep in mind its all about what you want some people love long hilts I prefer mine in the 11-12 inch range

Boj-Vaati Mau
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
For the sake of it...
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?12663-Saber-Dimension-Guidelines
Is that a partial shroud you're looking at over the ribbed section? If it's a full shroud, save the $$ and use a blank tube.

MKnight
01-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Full..dude...

FYI my saber builds will have the blade length so that i can hold the saber in my hand by my side facing the blade down and it be 20mm from the floor.

So stand put your hand by your side palm open faceing your leg, mesure from the v formed from base of your thumb to the ground This should be your BASE blade length for your saber builds (minus the extra hilt length). When i had both of my swords made up this was key as you dont want the blade too long unless your going double handed.

I think your post basicly works off this as sword builders normally use this as a baseline for taylored blades :-D

cant find that Traveler build... argh..!

shmoetech
01-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Besides being a long hilt I think the saber would look good. The joy of this hobby is you can build your own saber, for you! If the saber works for you, then my friend go for it!

Darth Ryo
01-21-2013, 07:10 AM
I second that last statement ;)
I for one don't mind the fact that the hilt is long and 2 handed weapon. Then it's all a matter of your taste, since you're building it for yourself.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Full..dude...

FYI my saber builds will have the blade length so that i can hold the saber in my hand by my side facing the blade down and it be 20mm from the floor.

So stand put your hand by your side palm open faceing your leg, mesure from the v formed from base of your thumb to the ground This should be your BASE blade length for your saber builds (minus the extra hilt length). When i had both of my swords made up this was key as you dont want the blade too long unless your going double handed.

I think your post basicly works off this as sword builders normally use this as a baseline for taylored blades :-D

cant find that Traveler build... argh..!

It's around page 9 in the Gallery, and it's spelled with 2 L's ;)

dgdve
01-21-2013, 07:46 AM

i was going to do something like this for a future build, blue and weather the inside then use a sleve with the holes so it looks like the above.

Ok.. A few things to think about when building (or that I think about)... Everyone and everybuild will be different (thats the beauty of tcss MHS).. Celebrate this... but be careful.... With great power (of 1000's of mhs choice)... come great responsibility (to artistic direction.. screen type accuracy finishes).

They are not saying your saber is too long... its just long (by cannon standards)

They are not saying the choke with a shroud will not work... they are experienced builders... this is simply a suggestion.

I say you should build to your heart and you will gain the experience in time..... BUT remember.. your saber is not just "out here"..... when you stack choke and ribbed sections AND cover them with a shroud... look at whats happening to your internal dementions.... WOW, thats getting tight right... and tight installs can be problematic irregardless of experience... trying to fit "more into smaller"... just aint easy (I for one NEVER put those types of restrictions on myself.. I like wide open spaces and long walks on the beach.... as far as installs is concerned.. K.I.S.S.)

As your using a shroud... how about (as suggested) you ditch that section and just grab a hilt style 2 or something else that will still have some raised or turned details that could still be seen through the shroud cuts... BUT (interior wise) will give you that larger area of standard MHS for your install

Again Im also just trying to help AND the best thing you can do is start a thread when you ever have questions or just want to make some new friends along the ways toward an epic build and hey I can tell.. Look at all these people you got helping you, this will be epic!!

Good Luck!
~dgdve

MKnight
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
^^^ I cant quote the above as its a little big, but thanks i do take eveything in and i do research and plan everything. this is going to be a fun, simple first build and i have learnt so much on here and i would have made some very expensive mistakes without your advice.

its all greatly appriciated..!