PDA

View Full Version : accent led on nano biscotte

whitmers
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm looking to to use the 3.3 accent pad on the nano biscotte, and frankly I have no idea to begin. What sort of LED can I easily mount on there since this is the first time i'm playing with this? I'd like to use it to try to make a crystal chamber. Any help or advise is welcomed.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm looking to to use the 3.3 accent pad on the nano biscotte, and frankly I have no idea to begin. What sort of LED can I easily mount on there since this is the first time i'm playing with this? I'd like to use it to try to make a crystal chamber. Any help or advise is welcomed.

You can attach a 3mm or 5mm LED to it (via wires), you would have to run the negative back to the battery(-). You might need a resistor depending on which color you decide to use.

whitmers
01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
is there a list somewhere for accent led resistances? ideally I want to do one without a resistor, something less for me to screw up.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
is there a list somewhere for accent led resistances? ideally I want to do one without a resistor, something less for me to screw up.

Look up Ohm's law. ;) It's how resistance values are calculated. The formulas are in the NB manual as well. It's been covered several times on the forums. I know I've demonstrated it several times here. *Waves hand* Use the search button, it is your friend. ;) :D

Silver Serpent
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Accent LEDs are pretty much gonna need a resistor. It's exceedingly hard to build around that requirement. Wiring in a resistor isn't hard. You just add it to either the positive OR the negative wire for the accent LED.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz is what I use to figure out resistor values. You can also choose to do the math as well. Both are valid options.

Caine Drathul
01-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Keep in mind that if you run an accent LED on the 3.3v pad that you will need a recharge port. Even in deep sleep mode, the accent LED would remain on and drain your battery, I have just wired it in parallel with the main LED, like you would do on a stunt saber, and it won't come on until you power on the saber.

Darth Ryo
01-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Wiring in parallel of main LED was also what i thought to do if I eventually get to use a NB.
Yet I was wondering, could you wire up to 3 accents (2v 3mm) in parallel of the main led die? or would it be better to wire these accents in series (and then in parallel of main led)?
Still a bit noob in understanding that part sorry!

Silver Serpent
01-16-2013, 08:18 AM
If you have a power source of at least 6v, then you can wire the three accents in series, and then parallel to the main LED. Add the Vf of the 3 accent LEDs together, and then calculate your resistor as if they were a single LED with the combined Vf.

Darth Ryo
01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
I see, thanks SS!
However the power source would be only 3.7v. It will be 1 18650 or 2 14500 in parallel as NB can accept only 3.7v from what I understood.
Every led would be in parallel then but I have to check what the NB can handle in that configuration :)

The Yin
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
If you have a switch like this one (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/16mm-Anti-Vandal-Latching-Green-Dot-Switch-P410.aspx) you can wire the LEDs to the switch so they are on when the switch is pushed in, or when the switch is up.
I wired the LED in the switch to my Power indicator light that way on my PC. Thus it's on only when the saber is on.

Also, I was looking around for a Super-bright LED to use for my accent LED (for a crystal chamber as well), and found one that said . . . nvm, I checked the webpage again and it says 3.3v (not sure why I got a resistor for it, I may have got mixed up with a different LED). Any way, the specs for the LEd say 3.3v-3.6v (it's green).

So, depending on the color and the brightness, you may be able to find an LED that is rated for 3.3v, and then you wont need a resistor.