PDA

View Full Version : Silver Blade on a NB?

TrypWyr
01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Hey all,

Currently re-working my Iron Man "Repulsor Blade" saber. My son has moved on and now wants a Spider-Man saber, so he's getting a PVC piece and I'm taking back the MHS build! :) I didn't really like his choice of blue for the blade so now that I've repainted and upgrading to a NB from the old Mace board, I'd like to change to a silver blade.

So the question: which LED would you use for a blue/white=silver mix that can be pushed by the NB running 3.7v?

:D Thanks!

Silver Serpent
01-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Tri-rebel Blue/Blue/White. You'll need to run the blue (just one of them) and white dice in parallel, or you won't have enough voltage to power the setup.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Tri-rebel Blue/Blue/White. You'll need to run the blue (just one of them) and white dice in parallel, or you won't have enough voltage to power the setup.

Actually the Royal Blue/Royal Blue/White would be best for Tri-rebels, since the "normal" blues tend to have some green in them. What SS said about 1 "blue" and one "white" is correct though.

TrypWyr
01-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Okay, that's what I was thinking as well, with the Tri-Rebel. I had heard of some issues with color mixing with them so I wanted to make sure before I ordered.

Also, the store description for the Tri-R doesn't list voltages... Would I be correct in assuming that they are identical to the single die Rebel counterparts?

Thanks guys!

Silver Serpent
01-12-2013, 08:29 AM
They are. The Royal Blue may be better, I haven't done a silver blade yet.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-12-2013, 10:15 AM
They are. The Royal Blue may be better, I haven't done a silver blade yet.

SS, in normal circumstances, blue+white=silver as you know. The problem is with the Tri-Rebels is that their "blue" can look more like a cyan at times, which would be bad to mix with for colors like purple or silver. If it were a LedEngin or a Tri-Cree, their "blues" are more of a true blue (with no green shading).

TrypWyr
01-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Actually, moot question! I completely forgot that I had a spare RGBW LEDEngin. I put that one in, running the blue and white in parallel... WOW! So bright and exactly the color I was looking for! I still need to place my order for a commissioned build I'm doing, so I could still order the Tri-R... think it would be worth doing that and saving the LEDEngin for something else?

Side note, I'm really amazed with the Nano Biscotte. Wonderfully loud, easy to install, and I love having custom sounds and LED "ramping" on an inexpensive board! Now time to work on that Iron Man font I've envisioned and this build will be just about complete.

Here's a NB question(s) for y'all (rather than a new thread...): I'm using a single 3.7v pack; the LEDEngin can handle up to 4.2v on the blue and 4.0v on the white, I believe. I currently have it set up without a resistor, but since that is quite a no-no, is there a reason to put one in? I was afraid that a 1-ohm would affect my brightness, however minutely; would that be a concern? Would there perhaps be a small setting to the "drive" parameter that would work in this situation?

Thanks for all the assistance guys, update pics coming soon!

Silver Serpent
01-14-2013, 06:14 AM
You shouldn't have any issues if you leave the resistors off that setup. A fully charged li-ion will give approximately 4.2v. It's still not enough to cause damage to the LED.

TrypWyr
01-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Excellent, thanks for all the help SS. As always, much appreciated!