PDA

View Full Version : How to you line up a slanted emitter? Or line up MHS components in general.

Obi-Jacob
01-09-2013, 06:40 AM
If I use a slanted emitter, is there a way to make this line up with the rest of the hilt? As I see it, when screwing in the emitter, the final position is quite random and depends on the treading of the MHS components.

The same problem occurs when trying to match the vents in one HMS component to another. E.g. an vented extension and a vented blade holder/emitter.

Anybody who knows how to do this? Or can't it be done?

Silver Serpent
01-09-2013, 06:45 AM
If you haven't purchased the parts yet, you can ask Tim to get them to line up before he sends them to you.

If you already have the parts, there are a few things you can try. Shims/spacers between parts (like trim rings (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Trim-Ring-1-P531.aspx)) or possibly lightly sanding down the edges of the parts so that they screw together a little further.

Obi-Jacob
01-09-2013, 07:00 AM
I don't have the parts yet, but unfortunately I'm trying to add some custom parts to another saber. So I guess trim rings or the slightly more dangerous sanding strategy is the way to go.

Thanks for the help, Silver Serpent.

Lord Dottore Matto
01-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Yeah, unless parts are indexed before hand, you would have to machine them to make them match up. It can be done by sanding, of course but it can also be done by adding set screws. Line it up as tight as possible then drill and tap your set screws in. You can indeed drill through threads, jsut make sure to clean and de-burr them before final assembly (lithium grease also helps to prevent them locking up.)

Darth Nater
02-11-2013, 12:06 AM
This is one reason I'd like to see the various main bodies (excluding the fluted of course) available as common store items in the "extensions" group without the switch holes drilled.

Strydur
02-11-2013, 12:19 AM
This is done all the time.. you just order the bare extension and a $10 custom lathe work fee to add hilt style 2,3, or 4 grooves and order whatever switch hole you want.