PDA

View Full Version : LED driver and Petit Crouton Sound Module V2.0 question

MKnight
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Hi,
im collecting my parts list to build a sabre im pretty intelligent, and have used the search.

But i need to know the follwoing:

do i need resistors if im using the LED Engin LZ4 10W Multi Color with Constant current LED driver and a Petit Crouton Sound Module V2.0?

and whats the best to drive it all with a 9volt battery?

I want the sound module, flash on crash and nice power up and down on the blade.

I just cant find enough info on the boards or any how to's on the devices or the power xtender..? This is allot to try an fathom as a nubie i use to solder ic's on boards so i have a clue i just need to know about the capabilities of what i can use with what?

I gues im asking for a list...?

MKnight
01-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I think i need the following:

7volt Battery (can i use a 9v?)
Constant current LED driver
Power Xtender™ 2.0
Premium Speaker
LED Engin LZ4 10W Multi Color
BuckPuck 1000mA 6-wire
+ Misc cables + connectors

however i dont know if the driver and the board will erase the need for a buckpuck or resistors..? i cant find any more detail on the boards or find any resource on wireing. I dont want to blow the driver and soundboard on my build...! (expensive)

What i will give you in return will be detailed photoshoped pics of wireing and components and detailed in depth how tos of every build i do.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
First, Welcome to the Forums!

Alright.. let's take this from the top...

If you are using a PC 2.0, you will not need a Buckpuck or a constant current driver. IF you are planning on using Flash on Clash, then yes, you will probably need resistors for those (1 or 2) dice. You forgot a speaker holder, and maybe switches? You may also want to give some thought to some type of internal chassis.

The soundboards do not provide a ramping up and down effect like the old MR LED string blades, so IF that is what you are *expecting*, you might be a bit disappointed.

No, you can not use a 9 volt battery. The store sells 7.4 battery packs that will work fine for your purposes.

For wiring diagrams, you may want to go through the PC manual, there are plenty of diagrams there, and also on the wiring a LEDEngin LED thread, I think they discuss the power extenders (a.k.a. PEX) there as well.

You can feel free to share your first build with the others, it's how you all learn.

MKnight
01-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Yea i found The PDF manual for the Petit Crouton Sound Module, so answerd allot of my questions yes i need a resistor...

Im unsure on the power xtender deatils but your link should help :-D so if i want the ramp up and down effect with the sound board do i just wire the driver off the sound board..? or will this mean the flash on crash wont work due to the constant driver..?

Yes i was going to use a internal housing to hold it all :-D i need the saber build first so i can think something up.

My Goal is a ramp up/down blade with sound and "flash on crash" maybe movment as well.

Looking at the LEDS it looks possible to use two or 3 of the 4 part LEDS to drive the blade and use the other (one or two) for flash effects?

I think im going to try and design a wireing diagram up, so you guys can look at over the weekend? Yea it dawned on me a 7.4 would be ideal plus a charging socket. Can i use 2800 NiMiH rechargeable batterys in a 4 or 6 battery holder? i noted that lilion's seem to be the main choice..? but NiMiH batterys are the best for power output i have used... in my view!!!

Silver Serpent
01-09-2013, 07:56 AM
The PC will provide the same ramp up/down effect that the constant current driver does. It doesn't provide the same ramping effect that "string blades" do. You will not need the driver with a PC. The PC has a fully featured LED driver built in. It does everything the constant current driver does, and then some. :)

About the multi-die LEDs: yes, it is absolutely possible to use some of the LED dice for the blade and the others for FoC effects. That's a big part of the reason we use multi-die LEDs in our sabers now.

You can use NiMH batteries with your setup, but Li-Ion gives more power in less space. Space is always at a premium inside a saber hilt. You need 6 AA sized NiMH to get the same voltage that you get with 2 AA sized Li-Ions.

Jay-gon Jinn
01-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Yea it dawned on me a 7.4 would be ideal plus a charging socket. Can i use 2800 NiMiH rechargeable batterys in a 4 or 6 battery holder? i noted that lilion's seem to be the main choice..? but NiMiH batterys are the best for power output i have used... in my view!!!NiMH do not have as smooth of discharge rate nor do they hold their nominal voltage as long as Li-Ions do. Both of the sound boards in the shop are designed to work with Li-Ion batteries so it is best to use those whenever possible. I have used both types of batteries in my long years of working on sabers, and Li-Ions are hands-down the best solution at this time for powering a saber.

MKnight
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Yup li-ion are the best been reading tech specs lol :-D