PDA

View Full Version : Apology and Questions about PC/RICE/Color mixer

jmPlagueis
12-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Hey guys, a few of you might remember being a bit of an ass last time I posted on here, so Im sorry for that, mostly for FenderBender. He is professional and does exceptional work, along with other resident sabersmiths, and I was just jealous, because I am still a novice.

ANYWAY

All that mush aside lol, I am looking to sell my current collection of entry - level sabers that I have tinkered with over the last couple of years so that I can build my own, personal, custom TCSS saber.

It looks like Ill be using a Petit Crouton with RICE, recharge port, and color mixing

My brain is going in a thousand different directions, because I have never worked with Erv's goodies before

From what I understand:

- I STILL need a BuckPuck if I use a PEX, right? ( 10w LEDengin RGBW, with white FoC)
- In order to have the RICE color mixing feature, I need a TRUcolor board installed in addition to the PC?

Those are the main questions I have before venturing any further.

Any input is appreciated, and if someone feels gracious enough to point me in the right direction as far as wiring diagrams that would be awesome too :)

Thanks!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Welcome back JM.

To do color mixing you would need a CF6 and a Color Xtender board (a.k.a. CEX), if you wanted to do full color mixing, other than the standard serial or parallel wiring for a color. (i.e. blue + red = purple)

To answer your other questions, you do NOT need a buckpuck if you are going to use a PEX with a PC or CF.

Most of the wiring diagrams you seek would be in the CFv6 manual.

I strongly recommend you get the manual, read it over a few times, and then go from there.

jmPlagueis
12-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Ahh snap

So full spectrum color mixing from my computer will not be possible with a Petit Crouton?

I have a lot of planning to do still, so I will definitely be reading up

many thanks

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-13-2012, 06:14 PM
So full spectrum color mixing from my computer will not be possible with a Petit Crouton?

Nope.

jmPlagueis
12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Why is that? what component is missing on the PC that prevents the use of TruColor full spectrum RGB capability? just out of my curiosity and thirst for knowledge about Plecter Labs boards.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Why is that? what component is missing on the PC that prevents the use of TruColor full spectrum RGB capability? just out of my curiosity and thirst for knowledge about Plecter Labs boards.

Without getting into specifics, because 1 - I won't and 2 - this isn't the venue, the PC was not designed for the capability. Hence it wasn't given whatever hardware and software items necessary for this - in a nutshell. Besides TruColor is an Igniter board feature IIRC.

You can easily go over to FX and check the specs of the various Plecter Lab boards. ;)

jmPlagueis
12-13-2012, 11:11 PM
My mistake, I forget that TruColor is an Igniter feature

and I completely missed the part in your reply about the CEX

Silver Serpent
12-14-2012, 05:43 AM
It's not that there's anything *missing*, but it's the fact that the PC was designed and built with a single channel LED driver. The new CFv6 and Igniter boards have multiple channel LED drivers that allow you to adjust the power flowing to each individual die on a multi-die LED.

You can still mix colors with the PC, but you have to do it manually with resistors and parallel or series wiring.

jmPlagueis
12-14-2012, 06:52 AM
It's not that there's anything *missing*, but it's the fact that the PC was designed and built with a single channel LED driver. The new CFv6 and Igniter boards have multiple channel LED drivers that allow you to adjust the power flowing to each individual die on a multi-die LED.

You can still mix colors with the PC, but you have to do it manually with resistors and parallel or series wiring.

Just the info I needed! Ill have to snag a CEX and CF while they are in stock