PDA

View Full Version : Switch terminals.

LORD VANE
12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Having some issues soldering the small terminals on some micro switches. I was wondering if I could extend them with some trimmings from led leads. That way I could have more room soldering my wires and they wouldn't break as easy when installing in my hilt. Would this work?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Having some issues soldering the small terminals on some micro switches. I was wondering if I could extend them with some trimmings from led leads. That way I could have more room soldering my wires and they wouldn't break as easy when installing in my hilt. Would this work?

Sure.

DarthGM
12-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Could you explain or show an image of what you're doing? I've been having a similar issue and am curious what you mean.

Weaver
12-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Depending on the kind you're using, micro switches can be very difficult. The only reason I got away with my micros on my first build was because I practiced a TON beforehand. I still went through two switches before I got it right. Take your time and practice. Detail work is hard.

LORD VANE
12-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I know what you mean lol!! [I] decided on using a resister. I trimmed the terminals and soldered them on the switch. Then I got some 5 minute epoxy and covered the entire bottom of the switch. The terminals are completely encased now and will not come off the switch leads now.

truman
12-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Ok, just did wiring for the first time. Board works, sound works, leds work. In short, i have a 6 wire 700mA buck puck that i thought i needed, but didn't use. You'll see from the diagram I used a 9v for testing. I plan to replace that with three 3.7v li_ion batteries. Also, in testing, the switch (momentary) will not turn off the setup, it just stays on. Is this because the board originally had a toggle switch, or is the switch just faulty?

Weaver
12-24-2012, 01:23 AM
My activation mini-tactile is acting up as well. If I rock it just slightly to one side, it will work, but it loves to ignore the shutoff command. I don't have to treat it any differently to power on...just when I want it to shut off. I chalk it up to shoddy wiring. When I get my new components I'll give it another whack.

If it's not too much trouble, gut your switch box and have a look at your terminals. If they're loose, or if the switch is grounding against the metal body of the hilt, it can cause problems. Check that the switch housing is not damaged; even though the switch body is usually plastic, any damage to the body could cause the switch's internals to come into contact with the hilt body. It's asking for a short.

Jay-gon Jinn
12-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Ok, just did wiring for the first time. Board works, sound works, leds work. In short, i have a 6 wire 700mA buck puck that i thought i needed, but didn't use. You'll see from the diagram I used a 9v for testing. I plan to replace that with three 3.7v li_ion batteries. Also, in testing, the switch (momentary) will not turn off the setup, it just stays on. Is this because the board originally had a toggle switch, or is the switch just faulty?
what sound board are you using? The Nano is designed to run on less than 5 volts, and the Petit Crouton only really needs 7.4v and has a maximum input of 11v. Depending on your mauin led, 3 Li-Ion may be overkill for your set up.

As far as your switch goes, as long you are using either board from the store, you'll need to check your switch setting in the configuration file on the MicroSD card. for a momentary switch, it should be set at "2."