PDA

View Full Version : strobing el saber...

darthdan
09-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Has anyone ever done an el saber using a strobing inverter? I have a little el wire rave toy with about 2 1/2 feet of el wire that can either be constant or strobing, and I thought it might look cool in a saber (spins would be wicked). Any thoughts?

jjshumpert
09-22-2006, 06:29 AM
well the strobing effect would be pretty cool, but your gonna need much more el wire for a saber, since you have to fold it over 3 times inside your blade to get the right amount of light

james3
09-22-2006, 09:20 AM
I think we are normally running 5 strands though.

jjshumpert
09-22-2006, 09:32 AM
3 doubles would be 6...

james3
09-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I gotcha om that JJ. I was just thinkin that 5 strands was tight. If your getting six in there I am way impressed. I normally cuss a bit with 5 :wink:

Jedi-Loreen
09-22-2006, 11:00 AM
He didn't say anything about mulitple strands of EL wire.

I have a "toy" that does use 3 strands and flashes them in different patterns that you can choose, but you couldn't fit that large controller box into a lightsaber hilt. I'm not sure if you could take it apart and have the controller separate from the battery, maybe.

Could be in interesting effect if the wires were all the same colors. My toy has red, white and blue wires.

jjshumpert
09-22-2006, 11:46 AM
that would be pretty neat if you could do multiple colors, each with a switch of some sort to either run one color, any combination, or a cycling effect. in my attempts at el for car kits, fold the wire over on its self 3 times making 6 sections of wire inside the polyc, havent tried it with the 1/8 wall but it comes out extremely bright in a 1/16 with a double wrap celophane diffusor, use that method all the time for interior lighting in cars and trucks, one 16 section is plenty to light either quite well, makes a great look at night as well!

darthdan
09-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I know the toy I have wouldn't work, but i found inverters that will run up to either 15 or 30 feet of el wire off of a 9v. Just wondered if anyone had heard of this being done or had personal experience with it. With all the years of el sabers I'd be surprised if i was the first to try it. Wondered if the effect was cool enough to warrant spending more money on the inverter...

Woo hoo, I'm a padawan!