PDA

View Full Version : LDM's Philanthropy challenge 2012

Lord Dottore Matto
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
LDM's Philanthropy Challenge 2012

I have been going back and forth about doing this (no time, expense, etc.) but I decided that if not now, when? It is a time in our World with a great deal of economic despair. We have all felt it. I personally work two full time jobs to make half the money I did 5 years ago. 61% of the new-graduate Veterinarians in the United States this year (2012) got a job. That is where we are. It scares me to death. I need to do something to create some positive energy. I want to pay it forward and I want all of you to help me. What will it do for me? Other than make me feel useful, probably nothing. What will it do for you? Hopefully it can make you and someone else smile. I see so many "vacant" eyes every day that I just need some positivity.

This challenge, like its forebear in 2008, is simply this...do something nice for someone, then post it up at JSSDC, Fx, theRPF or at TCSS. This first post will be copied to all four forums. That is all you have to do. The challenge ends on December 31st at 11:59:59 PM. I am the sole judge. So what does the winner get? A lightsaber of course. For the 2008 challenge, I gave a highly customized MR conversion. For this one, I go a step further. I will machine a 100% scratch hilt. It won't be a 50 hour project, but it will be nice. It will be duel-worthy. It will have MR sound and most likely 4aaa batteries. Can these things change? If other Sabersmiths donate to the cause, then the particulars can indeed change. I am not soliciting. I will do this myself if need be and am fully prepared to foot the entirety of the project but if I know some of my peers I just may have a bit of help.

That is all. Post those positive actions. They need not be big. They can be as simple as walking an elderly lady across the street. I have no preconceived notions of what people find to be "kind". I look forward to reading some positivity every day for the rest of the year. I will check every thread each day. I hope everyone participates and it is my sincerest desire that this touches all of you and makes all of us at least infinitesimally better people.

@ Fx: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=38438.msg519131#msg519131

@ The RPF: http://www.therpf.com/f12/ldms-philanthropy-challenge-2012-a-169304/

...and the winner is:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/Philanthropy%20Saber%202008/Philanthropy%20Challenge%202012/Selection%20Video/th_102_2373.jpg (http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/Philanthropy%20Saber%202008/Philanthropy%20Challenge%202012/Selection%20Video/?action=view&current=102_2373.mp4)

bk_renesis
11-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Weeellllll.... Funny thing this should come up actually. Yesterday, 29-11-12, was one of the hottest November days followed by the hottest night in melbourne Victoria (Australia) in over a hundred years. Peaked at 39.5 degrees Celsius (101.3 degrees Farenheit) with extreme uv levels during the day. The whole company decided to start work at 5:30am to avoid some of the heat.

Being the warehouse manager I was taking a large delivery during lunch time and just saw that everyone was struggling. I decided they all needed a treat. I took off to the supermarket and purchased ice cream (Maxibons.... Mmmmm) for the 40 odd workers we have on the floor. It was great to see people liven up as I handed them out and even restored some of the motivation back to the atmosphere.

Being the hot day that it was the cooled water fountain in the cafeteria was getting its fair share of use and stopped working. Diagnosis was that the filter from the main water supply was blocked. What did Uncle Baz do... Call the repair guy, what did he say... He'll be there in a week.... What did Baz do... Raised a personal purchase order and purchased a filter from the warehouse we use on the caravans (RV) we build and, swapped it out and gave it a good flush. Well, let me tell you it feels good to do things for others.

Oh, I almost forgot... I also made sure that all the caravans in the finishing section were connected to mains power enabling the use of the AC. A lot of happy people, I tells ya!!! Well I must say I got promised a lot of beers on the house next time we go to the pub for drinks after work!!!

Just made the day easier to get through.

Cheers,

Baz.

Lord Dottore Matto
11-30-2012, 01:01 AM
Thank you for sharing. That is a wonderful story and very kind things to do. Giving of ourselves while expecting nothing in return is one of the finest human qualities :)

bk_renesis
11-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Hey it doesn't take much to put a real smile on people's faces, I love the people I work with, and it was the least I could do.

MandoJoe
11-30-2012, 06:51 AM
My mother-in-law works for NASA, and her office gets together every year and assembles care packages for soldiers/marines/airmen/sailors overseas. This year my wife and I helped supply and assemble, and she and I shipped the first round going out. We're currently working on the next set. In total there will be four shipments going out. It's not much, but as a former soldier myself, I know that every little bit helps.

My wife and I are also rescheduling our own holiday celebrations with our various families so that we can work double shifts on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. This way our co-workers with kids/family coming into town have the time to spend with their families.

Lord Dottore Matto
11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
My mother-in-law works for NASA, and her office gets together every year and assembles care packages for soldiers/marines/airmen/sailors overseas. This year my wife and I helped supply and assemble, and she and I shipped the first round going out. We're currently working on the next set. In total there will be four shipments going out. It's not much, but as a former soldier myself, I know that every little bit helps.

My wife and I are also rescheduling our own holiday celebrations with our various families so that we can work double shifts on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. This way our co-workers with kids/family coming into town have the time to spend with their families.

I LOVE this. Kindness to our Service men and women rank very highly with me. Thank you and thank you for sharing.

@everyone else...let's go!!! TCSS was an amazing contributor to the 2008 Challenge and we only have two responses so far? Come on! Don't be shy. Share kindnesses done for you or by people you know. Any positive act of human kindness works!

Weaver
11-30-2012, 04:54 PM
It's not much, but I've got one:

I'm pretty much self-employed at this point, but business has been very slow. I work in both maille (more commonly known as "chain mail") and nylon whipmaking, but the whipmaking has been the focus of my attention for the past three years. I have had a long period of stagnation since losing my regular job, and my mate has just about had it with me moping about the house all the time. I finally received a commission request from a client in the UK and jumped at the chance to get back into my workshop. You see, I get bored very easily. If I don't have something to do, I go stir-crazy. I get depressed. Depression usually saps me of all motivation, leading to a self-propogating cycle of inaction. Of course I was happy to have the work!

However, having never shipped out of the United States, I was woefully unprepared for the shipping quotes I received. Unfortunately, the sale had already gone through and with a decided shipping cost of $20US. Out of curiosity, I decided to estimate how much it would cost to ship the client's TWO 4.5ft 12-plait nylon bullwhips. Assuming I can fit both in a flat-rate box, the lowest cost I could get was $40US. This is on top of the $34US I'd already spent on the new paracord I needed for his whips, since the colors he wanted were not in my inventory. Of the original $220US, I will see about $150US.

Now, I won't lie: Business has been slow. I'm next to flat broke, and I need every cent. But I've built my reputation as a craftsman around quality, durability, service, and honesty. I want to make money, but I can't bring myself to ask for more. We decided on a price and I was paid in full. Even knowing that I'll take a loss, I have decided to let it go. I made an error in judgment, and I refuse to pass that on to my client.

I just don't think Vader's approach is a sound business model. I am a man of my word; I don't "alter" my deals.

amwolf
11-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I was talking to my wife about this thread, and the sense of shame I felt because while I've scratched checks to charities and public radio stations and done work for Architecture for Humanity, in retrospect I don't feel like I've really done anything because there are no PEOPLE involved there. Just organizations. My wife, however, is my truly better half, so I'll share her story:

Her sister Mary teaches school in rural Kentucky as a speech pathologist (essentially helping to get kids to speak proper English because even something as simple as that opens doors later in life for them), and some of the students come from exceptionally poor families. These are kids that wouldn't eat today if it weren't for the school lunch program; kids who don't have books at home, shoes or clothes that fit; sometimes they live with a relative because their parent is in jail. These are kids from families who receive assistance from those same big, faceless charities I give to, which help but miss the mark with little but very important things. What's truly frightening is that she only lives about an hour south of us... Every year at this time my wife gives her sister $100, with no questions asked, which Mary uses to take one of these kids shopping for essentials - shoes, coats, socks, whatever they need, and always a few books. The kids and their families are never told where the money comes from specifically, save that it isn't Mary's and the donors wanted it to help people directly and if she knew anybody. That way, there's less push back about "taking charity." If she gets two such donations, she'll help two kids, and so on, and she can really stretch those dollars. When my wife could, she'd sent a little more... and I had no idea that she was doing it, really. She says she mentioned it years ago, but I wasn't paying attention.

So now my shame is doubled, and the check I write tonight will not make that go away. But Mary will see that the money goes where it needs to, and I hope she and my wife forgive me for not being there sooner.

TrypWyr
11-30-2012, 08:52 PM
So this one is not about me, but rather my wife.

Cass worked for about 3 years to get her bachelors degree in Project Management. Of course, this is all while trying to raise two very young children (and one very old one, who insists on building lightsabers and telling her about them, ad nauseum). But, like LDM stated, getting a job right out of school is not the easiest thing to do. Also like LDM, we both lost our jobs around the time she started school and are just now making a little over half of what we were previously.

About 6 months ago she started volunteering for the non-profit Wyakin Warriors foundation, http://www.wyakin.org. This amazing woman works twelve hour shifts dispatching and coordinating helicopters for a local hospital, then meets with the Wyakin staff on her "days off" to provide project management assistance for free. She was selected to be on the planning committee for the inaugural Guardian Ball, which we will be attending tomorrow night thanks to the grace of a sponsor who paid for our tickets.

She is one of the most selfless women I've ever met and I'm a very lucky man!

Lord Dottore Matto
12-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Now we're talkin'. Fellas, I love the well thought out responses here. Very "significant" contributions and I love each one. The posts about the kindnesses of others (your wives) are wonderful for this thread. Those count just as much and something "you" did yourselves. Thankyou for sharing!

jin starkiller
12-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Me and the wife went through our clothes in storage and gave to the local homeless shelter coats that we no longer needed as well as shoes that we had that were practically new to the men and women of the shelter. We even helped out serving food to the homeless this past weekend, we have a good re-pore with the shelter since we donate there every year. We also will be sending care packages to the troops again this year since they deserve it for what they do. I also will be donating my time for Habitat for Humanity on the 15th here in Raleigh, NC.

Lord Dottore Matto
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Me and the wife went through our clothes in storage and gave to the local homeless shelter coats that we no longer needed as well as shoes that we had that were practically new to the men and women of the shelter. We even helped out serving food to the homeless this past weekend, we have a good re-pore with the shelter since we donate there every year. We also will be sending care packages to the troops again this year since they deserve it for what they do. I also will be donating my time for Habitat for Humanity on the 15th here in Raleigh, NC.

The philanthropic spirit is strong in your family! Thank you for sharing!

Ty_Bomber
12-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Well, this kind of pales in comparison to some of the stuff that's on here, but I really like this thread and wanted to post something.

This year around tax time, I had finally accrued the funds to build my first custom saber. I approached LDM about a custom blade holder based off of some of his previous work after Tim turned the project down, and we agreed upon price and I got ready to ship the deposit.

Well, a couple weeks went by and he didn't hear from me, I was bogged down with finals for the quarter and my wife had taken ill, and I felt really guilty so I checked in to make sure he was up to date. He was super accommodating the whole time.

A couple weeks later I contacted him again, this time because I found out what was plaguing my wife: we were expecting. As excited as I was about this, I knew that this wasn't the time to be thinking about a $500 toy for myself, so I reluctantly had to cancel the commission. Again, LDM was incredibly understanding and he had no problem canceling the order. Still, I don't like to backpedal on my debts, so the whole thing didn't sit well with me. Then it hit me.

A few months before, my best friend had purchased a saber from Saberforge, and was really disappointed in the final product. After $400 he had a poorly wired (and really dim) amber led, a cheapo economy soundboard (with the annoying cutout in sound between ignition, hum, and clashes) and a finicky recharge port. After doing a lot of studying on these forums, I decided that if he bought the parts, I would upgrade the electronics for him. He gutted the saber and I took the empty hilt and sat on it for a few months, building up my tool set and waiting until he had the funds for the install.

It occurred to me that I could do right by the General by still giving him the business I originally approached him with and do something nice for my friend at the same time. I talked it over with my wife and she thought it was a good idea. Using the same funds from the comission I purchased one of LDM's pre-wired sound and light modules to install in my friend's saber, and also upgraded the blade and switch to a lit AV. All in all, I spent $110 of my own money for the project, and when I put it in his hands, he was thrilled. It didn't have all the bells and whistles that he would have spent his money on, but he got his money's worth.

It might not be much, but I feel good for doing it. That is it's own reward.

Lord Dottore Matto
12-07-2012, 12:06 AM
I remember this. It is indeed a kindness and no less worthy a story than any of the others. It was a kindness, even if it was fun ;)

QueenTitan
12-07-2012, 06:50 AM
I am a member of a group called MOPS, that is mothers of preschoolers. a friend of mine lives in brooklyn and she posts on FB alot about the need of the people there since hurricane sandy. I asked the ladies in my group if they would be interested in donating winter clothes and other needed items for Christmas. They said yes and we have a truck full of stuff to send up next week!

Lord Dottore Matto
12-07-2012, 02:14 PM
I am a member of a group called MOPS, that is mothers of preschoolers. a friend of mine lives in brooklyn and she posts on FB alot about the need of the people there since hurricane sandy. I asked the ladies in my group if they would be interested in donating winter clothes and other needed items for Christmas. They said yes and we have a truck full of stuff to send up next week!

That is a very, very cool! I love it when people show the beautiful side of humanity!

shmoetech
12-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Hey LDM, I'm writing this because i'm proud of my daughter and thought this was a good place to show it...My daughter had a brain tumar removed a about 4months ago, when she was recovering in the cancer ward of our local CHKD (Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughter), she made friends w a few of the children threr that are fighting w cancer. Since we left my daughter has insisted on going to the cancer ward and playing w/ the children every saturday, keep in mind that shes only 4yrs old. So my wife or I will take her..We are so proud of her, she enjoys bringing the lightsaber that i made for her, one little boy is always excitedto sing that baby around. Again she has made me proud, and I wanted to share this. Thanx for starting this thread, so I can post this. 8080

MandoJoe
12-21-2012, 10:49 AM
It always amazes me when kids are super awesome like this. *sniffle* She gets my vote.

Lord Dottore Matto
12-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for sharing man. That is such a wonderful story!!!!! Good on her :)

cardcollector
12-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Not a philanthropy thing really I don't think, but I was getting starbucks the other day, and a guy started a "Pay it forward" deal in the drive through. You know, where you pay for the person's drink behind you, and he does the same for the guy behind him, etc....

Well, I have having a really bad morning, and to drive up and hear the guy say "The gentleman in front of you paid for your order." Turned that morning right around, and it was so fun to pay for the guy's drink who was behind me. I'll be starting one of those this morning.

I'd like to challenge everyone to go and start one of those wherever you like to drive through, you have no idea how much that little act of kindness can change a person's day. :)

Lord Dottore Matto
12-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I love that idea. Bravo!

Lord Dottore Matto
01-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I will tabulate the entries and post the winner within one week. Thank you all who entered and Happy New Year!

TCSS Entries are:

13. bk_renesis
14. MandoJoe
15. BlessedWrath
16. amwolf's wife
17. TrypWyr's wife
18. Jin Starkiller
19. Ty_Bomber
20. QueenTitan
21. shmoetech's daughter
cardcollector is already entered elsewhere ;)

40 entrants total, and 67 total entries.

Weaver
01-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Fortune to the contest entrants. No matter the victor, the real prize is a better world.

Lord Dottore Matto
01-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Indeed :)

patolcott
01-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Good Luck Gents!

Lord Dottore Matto
01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
The winner has been decided. I have a video. I will upload tomorrow night and reveal to all on all 4 forums at once.

Lord Dottore Matto
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Winner selection video in the first post.

amwolf
01-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Congratulations, Caine! And to all, keep up the good work... I suspect there's more out there for us all to do, as we're able.

Lord Dottore Matto
01-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Congratulations, Caine! And to all, keep up the good work... I suspect there's more out there for us all to do, as we're able.

Agreed. I want to thank everyone again. I was rooting for one person in particular. She didn't win, but she is a winner nonetheless...a winner at life, from a young age. :)

shmoetech
01-18-2013, 06:15 AM
Hey LDM, I hpoe you are talking my daughter (if not, I look like a dummy), thanx she is a winner in my worlfd also. Thanks again for considering her, she was really excited! In my book you are a good person to have put up an outlet for people to show that there are good people in this chaotic world, again thank you from me and my daughter. Oh and congrats to Caine!

MandoJoe
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
And MandoJoe, late to the party as usual, agrees. Shmoe's daughter is my hero. Also, Caine, if you hear some rustling about in your saber collection once this is complete...you should ignore it. It's probably just mice and not a jealous Mando....*chuckles*

Caine Drathul
01-18-2013, 11:50 PM
I have respectfully forfeited this win.

As incredibly generous as Marc is, I cannot and will not accept this free saber.

It was never my intention whatsoever to enter this contest, as I feel that doing my best on giving value and empowering lives is something that I was put on this earth to do. I was just simply sharing my story. I do not want rewards or accolades for this.

Therefore, I have requested to LDM that the saber go to another person in the contest that I have chosen.

I am fortunate to own plenty of sabers, and I feel this person can use this saber more than me. To me, this is the right thing to do.

Like all of you, I was just overwhelmed by some of the amazing stories that I read about, and many of you people did some extraordinary things and gave tremendous value. YOU are the true stars!

I am proud to be a part of this community.

MandoJoe
01-19-2013, 09:13 AM
And this is why Caine is my hero...

Lord Dottore Matto
04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Arise oh dormant thread...The saber is finished. 100% custom. I have contacted the winner via PM and am awaiting a reply before I post the finished saber. Hopefully tomorrow ;)

oXdanXo
04-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Just seen this thread, it's a great thing giving away a machined lightsaber for the person who does the nicest thing, but people shouldn't need an incentive to be kind to others we should all just do it anyway, because one day we all end up in a bad situation and we would appreciate the help.
Just while writing this post I saw "And this is why Caine is my hero" then read his post above, strange how things like that can actually bring a tear to your eye.

Lord Dottore Matto
04-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Just seen this thread, it's a great thing giving away a machined lightsaber for the person who does the nicest thing, but people shouldn't need an incentive to be kind to others we should all just do it anyway, because one day we all end up in a bad situation and we would appreciate the help.
Just while writing this post I saw "And this is why Caine is my hero" then read his post above, strange how things like that can actually bring a tear to your eye.

You missed the point of the challenge. It was to relate positive stories of things that had already been done (to remind all of us that there are plenty of good people in the world and that the negativity that the mass media would have us believe is pervasive is not, in fact reality for everyone), not to do something nice to try to win a prize. Anyone who did that was automatically disqualified.

Jedi Mynock
04-08-2013, 07:09 AM
awesome thread! and awesome work by all you kind people.
ironic that its caine and i just read about him in GEEK magazine, inspiring so many people to learn saber combat and get in shape!

do we get to see the saber? maybe caine could carry on with the thread's theme and all of the entries could "time share" the saber? totally up to caine of course but that would be so fitting, considering the spirit of this thread.

one more thing... BAKERS IS SOO GOOD!!! hahaha shredded beef burritos are incredible there.

again, you are ALL awesome, and LDM said it best when he said he wished he could make 40 sabers for you all.

Lord Dottore Matto
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah, everyone gets to see it (to prove that it is not fictional). The winner has yet to contact me however. He has been PM'd and emailed. I am hoping that he gets back to me very soon. If not, I will select someone else at random.

Lord Dottore Matto
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
It is posted: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?15533-LDM-s-Philanthropy-challenge-2012-Prize-reveal-quot-Il-Cuare-di-Angelo-quot&p=222196#post222196