PDA

View Full Version : First Saber Design Concept - Opinions Welcome

Amik Asota
11-25-2012, 09:05 PM
I've been reading the forums and fiddling with a design for months now and I'm finally at a point where I'm relatively happy with what I've come up with. That said, I'm a great bloody n00b and second/third/fifth opinions are never a bad thing.

My thought process was to create a "traditional" style lightsaber that was far more streamlined than Luke's or Vader's. The chunkiness of the clamps and such has never appealed to me. I wanted mine to seem sleek and functional as a weapon. Almost scalpel-like. I'm not 100% sold on the Covertec clip as it gets in the way of a comfortable grip so a d-ring pommel insert is a possibility.

My concerns: Is it dull? Is it too typical? Could it use a bit of spice and if so what kind? Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Design can be a touchy business. To some, it may seem "plain" or "common" or "too typical". Some people like a lot of "bling" or fancy shroud work, and some don't. Ultimately, you have to be the one happy with it, if you are going to keep it. Also you have to be able to do whatever electronics work that you want to put inside your saber design - which is a part of the design process as well. Most sabers that I have designed tend to be "simple" by some standards, yet I add a unique touch (or 2 or 3) to make it stand out a bit.

madmaxx
11-25-2012, 11:12 PM
design as forgetful Jedi said is all up to you. as for the d ring they can be rattlely if that is an issue for you. just go with something that you are comfortable and confident building and learn from it. good luck and enjoy yourself

Silver Serpent
11-26-2012, 06:30 AM
I agree with fjk and maxx. Design is something that should be left up to the owner of the saber; whether that is the sabersmith, or their customer. If it is for you, and you like it, then build it! I've seen beautiful designs and hideous designs, and I've seen people thrilled with both of them.

I remember a quote (though I don't remember who said it): "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like." You'll find that's true for building sabers as well. There are some very prominent and prolific builders in our community. I absolutely adore some of their works, while others I can appreciate for their technical expertise, if not their aesthetics.

That being said, I think you've got a fine design going there, and I'd love to see pics of it completed.

Xevious
11-26-2012, 07:39 AM
My concerns: Is it dull? Is it too typical? Could it use a bit of spice and if so what kind? Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

1. A good "first saber" is one that has generous internal space -- don't make things too hard on yourself, you need to practice your Cram-Fu. You’ve done that here.

2. Overall, the design is classic and solid – grip, choke, emitter. Plain aluminum "rings" as accents to a darker and/or textured finish along with the angled motif? Looks great!

3. A general guideline of design is Unity. This is my only critique: the choke and emitter have right-angled topography, while the pommel just comes to a rounded stop. Were I making that saber, I’d consider pommel style 7 to complement the overall design.

amwolf
11-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Overall, solid design. I'd make the silver band towards the back end a groove rather than a double-male connector, which would tie in aesthetically with the negative space used at the front of the saber. Plus, it may make the install simple (and possibly overall cheaper) since you'd switch from 3 parts to 1 back there, with a little custom work. I'd also agree with the pommel 7, to step the end out a bit from the main hilt diameter.

Amik Asota
11-27-2012, 04:58 PM
forgetful jedi knight: I appreciate your advice. And you're right. I prefer "simple" or sleek designs in life. I can't imagine why I'd think my lightsaber should be different!

madmaxx: I doubt I'll ever be dueling with this saber so the rattling D-Ring probably won't be an issue should I decide to use it.

Silver Serpent : Thanks! I'll be sure to post pics.

Xevious : Thank you! You're right about the pommel.

amwolf: I thought about your groove idea and put some variations together in Illustrator. The one on the far right is a reconfiguration of the main body with a single latching switch instead of Activation Box #9. #9 just seems a bit rounded and "slinky" for such a stark saber. Maybe something more like #19 on the original or grooved configuration? Hmm. Also, I was thinking matte black for the coloring (dark chrome?).

Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-27-2012, 06:16 PM
If you look up my "Traveller" build, you'll see an example of a relatively simple design (which also shows off a little black chrome). ;)

Crystal Chambers
11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
So far so good....I would suggest considering a little MHS sleeve material to alter the OD a bit on the main body. Just simple straight cuts like Luke's ROTJ hilt. Not that it really NEEDS it but it's a good idea. I have a hilt I'm been sitting on with similar qualities and I'm very happy with the sleeves on it, even though they're very simple.

Amik Asota
11-29-2012, 05:04 PM
FJK: Your "traveller" build is slick! I like that a lot. I may go matte black for my first saber (which I think will be named "Nobody") just to really get the stark contrast going.

CC: I'll give that a go-around and see what comes up.

Thanks again!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-29-2012, 05:08 PM
FJK: Your "traveller" build is slick! I like that a lot. I may go matte black for my first saber (which I think will be named "Nobody") just to really get the stark contrast going.

CC: I'll give that a go-around and see what comes up.

Thanks again!

Funny you mention that, that is roughly the color scheme of a saber I am working on now. :D

Amik Asota
11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Funny you mention that, that is roughly the color scheme of a saber I am working on now. :D

Great minds! :-D I was thinking about making the accent ring/Double ended male threaded connector a color to pop but the blade might pull that off on its own.