PDA

View Full Version : switch question. please help

QueenTitan
11-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Hi, I've been searching for an answer and i am not having any luck. Could someone please explain to me the difference between using a latching switch and a momentary switch? the way i understand it, the momentary switch doesnt stay locked, it just activates something.. that causes something else to run, like the key switch running the starter on the car.. then returns to its starting position. the latching switch is like a light switch, it stays in position,causing power to continually circulate. is this correct?

If so, here is my real dilemma.

MUST a latching switch be used with a stunt saber? If so, why?

I really like the way the av switch looks and feels, but the latching version is too long to use in a guarded style hilt switch hole. so I want to put the av momentary in my stunt saber. (will eventually have a sound board, but money runs tight.) :)

Thanks!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi, I've been searching for an answer and i am not having any luck. Could someone please explain to me the difference between using a latching switch and a momentary switch? the way i understand it, the momentary switch doesnt stay locked, it just activates something.. that causes something else to run, like the key switch running the starter on the car.. then returns to its starting position. the latching switch is like a light switch, it stays in position,causing power to continually circulate. is this correct?

If so, here is my real dilemma.

MUST a latching switch be used with a stunt saber? If so, why?

I really like the way the av switch looks and feels, but the latching version is too long to use in a guarded style hilt switch hole. so I want to put the av momentary in my stunt saber. (will eventually have a sound board, but money runs tight.) :)

Thanks!

Yes, you are correct. You REALLY SHOULD use a latching switch in a stunt.

Why? Unless you plan on keeping your finger on it all the time to keep the saber lit (it's kind of impractical), it's just plain easier.

It you are having an issue with the length of the latching AV's you can use a short or long bezel to make it a bit easier to fit into the hilt. ;) Another option is to use the short latching AV's though they only come in a brushed chrome like finish. ;)

QueenTitan
11-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks! I will look into both of those options! Now, just because i like to know how stuff works, can you tell me how exactly the momentary switch works with a soundcard installed? is there some sort of switch on it that the momentary activates? (obviously, i'm kinda new to the inner workings of electronics, i've looked at the diagrams, and i think i have a grasp of how things go, but i just like to know why they go that way...)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
If you have the card properly set for a momentary switch, the soundboard (a PC or NB) will control when the circuit is on or off. You will have to properly wire the momentary switch the the selected sound card, then set the sound card to the momentary switch option, and then you'll be all set. You may want to check out the manuals to the 2 sound cards. ;)

QueenTitan
11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
thanks again! :D

FenderBender
11-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Stunts can use momentary switches. You can use them in conjunction with a TCSS driver board or a Pololu board. The shorty momentary AV switches are a much ***ier solution because you can have Tim recess a hilt for one so it sits flush without having to use one of those bezels. A few extra wires, yes, but totally worth it.