PDA

View Full Version : Saber crystals

whitmers
11-11-2012, 07:53 PM
As I get more into this, I am curious about the best way to go for inserting using a focusing crystal. I've seen some out there with acrylic plugs with a crystal in it. Do you have to end up machining your own hilt to accommodate this? Can it be done with only mhs parts?

xl97
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Yes.. of course this can be done with MHS parts.. :)

Im going to assume you mean crystals inside a chassis? and not a plug.. like a blade plug?

its really all about the knowing the ID of your saber/hilt/parts.. but in the case of the MHS parts.. Tim provides internal parts for you to build chassis to hold batteries, soundboards, and a crystal if you want. (most of the chassis disks have a center cutout/hole that can be used for this.

to spice them up.. some put people gut old hard drives or other similar internal parts to be used as holders for the crystals as well.. to hide the wiring, many people by brass/aluminum rod to snake/run the wires through.. (this also goes along with the chassis disks..as they have holes around the ends for this. :)

there are also many ways to secure your chassis/crystal reveal chamber in the hilt... again Tim supplies some ways with his products.. or you can search other peoples builds to see how they approached it.

in the end.. you should try to layout/list the features you want, and search out the best means of doing so, whether it be the approach/method or the part(s) used..

MrCafe
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Not contributing to the conversation much, however I would like to see how this turns out please keep us posted. I myself would like to try doing this with a quarts tuning crystal.

whitmers
11-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I saw these plugs from sanjuro systems (http://www.sanjurosystems.com/crystal_emitter_plugs) and they looked pretty interesting. I figure that I would have to cut a hole in a housing for the crystal to be visable, but then I wonder if I would be able to run an accent led from the NB board? How would you do this if you don't have something like that wired in?

xl97
11-14-2012, 11:00 AM
what you are looking at is a 'Blade Plug'.

and t does what its name implies.. plugs the blade holder.

this is NOT a crystal chassis/reveal chassis crystal.. (although I think he does make those or similar as well)

this goes in where your blade usually goes when not in use.

TrypWyr
11-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Sanjuro does indeed have a crystal chamber kit, quite a bit pricier than the plugs but worth it if you can utilize it to its full potential. Both pieces are only available when he does a limited run on the FX site.

The blade plugs are gorgeous and I've also considered using one in a chamber reveal. You would just need to keep in mind that they are made to fit in a 1" blade holder, so you would need to anchor the top and bottom well in a standard MHS piece since they won't reach the sides. To get a decent idea of the size, just use a piece of blade tubing and insert it into the MHS piece. Also, the crystal are held in place by tension with two pieces of copper or brass tubing. Theoretically, you could use very small LEDs and project the light up/down them.

If you do end up going this route, please post in the gallery, I'd love to see it done!