PDA

View Full Version : Disney buying Lucasfilm! (WTF)

DarthRevenchist89
10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd-195100740.html

This could be a disaster or a blessing, but what really grinds my gears is this statement in the article that i hope never comes about unless its a fan film or WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY into the future like cade skywalker times.

"Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future."

After all that bull all this time from GL about not continuing the saga the first thing Disney wants to do: MAKE MORE MOVIES. WTF!!!!!!!!!

Jev Moldara
10-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Apparently, Anti-Trust regulations do not get enforced.

Here's a scary thought for saber smiths... Think about how fanatical Disney is about brand protection and copyright infringement.

sekrogue1985
10-30-2012, 01:31 PM
...........yeah................the world is doomed!

jin starkiller
10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
it will be interesting to say the least that we will have another Star Wars movie but at the same time dreading it because they could totally screw it up

Yoshi-Taka
10-30-2012, 02:06 PM
"Zac Efron is.... Anakin Solo in, Star Wars Episode 7: Jedi Academy Musical! Rated G."

Just let that sink in for a moment. And yes, the lack of Roman numeral was purposeful.

Jev Moldara
10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
"Zac Efron is.... Anakin Solo in, Star Wars Episode 7: Jedi Academy Musical! Rated G."

Just let that sink in for a moment. And yes, the lack of Roman numeral was purposeful.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/LordDragonspyre/scrubbrain.gif

ARKM
10-30-2012, 03:10 PM
"I got a bad feeling about this."

madmaxx
10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
hmmm.....Ma ....get my gun...theres a mouse that may need some gettin

Knighthammer
10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
It could be bad, but it could also be good (look what they've done with Marvel) so all things being equal I'll wait and see.
Certainly they can't do worse then the last couple Lucas outings.

Xanthium
10-30-2012, 04:07 PM
It could be bad, but it could also be good (look what they've done with Marvel) so all things being equal I'll wait and see.
Certainly they can't do worse then the last couple Lucas outings.

I have to agree with this, the recent Marvel films by Disney have been fantastic. Honestly this makes me excited about my beloved Star Wars. As long as they are better than the prequels, I highly doubt I'll complain. New ownership of this franchise may very well be what it needs to survive.

patolcott
10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I may get flayed for this, but why does everyone hate on the prequels? I admit the acting is not great and jar jar was a bit much but other than that, luke was just as much of a whiner as anakin. I thought lucas did a good job describing the events that led up to anh. all i am saying is they are not as terrible as everyone makes them out to be. I mean come in in rots when anakin puts on the vader outfit and you hear the first snap his that was AWESOME.

CGompertz09
10-30-2012, 04:48 PM
This was the first thing I saw when I logged onto the internet after work today. I'm actually excited for this. As already said, Disney has done pretty well with things like Marvel, The Avengers was amazing! The only thing I'm worried about is what they are going to make the episodes about.

X
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM
After all that bull all this time from GL about not continuing the saga the first thing Disney wants to do: MAKE MORE MOVIES. WTF!!!!!!!!!

I believe GL said that he'd never make another SW film. That didn't remove the possibility of more films, just with him writing/directing them.

annon
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
It would annoy me if they just threw out all of the EU canon. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would take some of the fun out of the star war universe for me.
My biggest fear is them cracking down on the prop/costume making community. I would hate for Disney to try and take away some of my favorite hobby's.

TuxedoCartman
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't know. This could be good, or this could be really bad. I just pray they take a light touch to dealing with the fan community, and don't start flinging lawsuits against the 501st, Rebel legion... us!

dbluephoenix
10-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't think this is a bad thing. Disney bought Lucasfilm for a reason, and I doubt it was to dismantle it. They want our viewership, and our money, and the fandom as a whole. I doubt they'd toss out all of the EU just because they can. Although, I bet Clone Wars moves from Cartoon Network next season.

Weaver
10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
As long as they don't come after sabersmiths and the suppliers of the parts they need. I can't speak for everyone else, but I, personally, did not spend the last two years studying just to give up after my first build.

DarthZero
10-30-2012, 06:25 PM
My feedback...
1. MARVEL planned the avengers movie long before Disney acquired them.
2. The prequel trilogy was just fine. In fact, i want to see more jedi and more sith.... and more DEATH!
3. Disney ACQUIRED Lucasfilm, but they can't go running in and dismantle all the long held contracts. The irony to me living in Florida is realizing Universal Studios has both Marvel and Star Wars rides mere miles away from Disney.
4. Sabersmiths cannot be targeted. Copyright law is vague but nowhere on TCSS does Tim say "lightsaber." Tim sells the tools needed to craft a high powered LED in an aluminium enclosure. :D

I was at Celebration VI and didn't get to see Mark Hamill but i saw one of the fans' pics of him and he wasn't looking too hot, so i'll be intrigued to see what Disney does with the franchise. I always had the sense from Lucas that he was stressed out, or enslaved, to his creation.

The Yin
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
I agree with DarthZero. From what I've read, GL was done with Star Wars after ANH, he never planned on it becoming what it has.
As for Lucas Ltd.'s new ownership, think of the director options for the next Star Wars films . . . Joss where you at?

captain_mills
10-30-2012, 09:36 PM
I, for one, would love to see Ford, Hammill, and Fisher come back to introduce the Solo kids and the New Jedi order... If they grab some good stories from the EU, we could look at a real good series that could bring some of what others have requested. New stories, extended universe, new characters, all stemming from the original characters that we know and love!

Count me excited!

Loachri MacTalabh
10-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Uncle George sold Pixar to Disney, and look what they did that. He stepped down and gave control to Kathleen Kennedy, his Co-chairman. She will still be in control as Disney acquires the franchise. He's always said (HE) was done making Star Wars films. As mentioned above, he thought he was done with ANH, that's why Ivan directed ESB.
I am intrigued but not getting too excited.

Greevar
10-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Darth Zero, you don 't realize how far companies will stretch trademark suits. Even having the word "saber" can be considered an infringement and similar cases have happened just that way with the trademark owner winning the case.

Loachri MacTalabh
10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Darth Zero, you don 't realize how far companies will stretch trademark suits. Even having the word "saber" can be considered an infringement and similar cases have happened just that way with the trademark owner winning the case.

I'm sure if someone were to sue Smiths over their trade it would have been George Lucas. I don't think our Great Masters have anything to worry about.

Yoshi-Taka
10-30-2012, 11:46 PM
As I recall, "saber" has a meaning outside of "lightsabers". Namely the swords of the same name. Just as well, and this is me showing off useless knowledge here, there's an anime/manga character named Saber. So I doubt such a frivolous lawsuit would even happen.

Darth Ryo
10-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Well, we'll ahve to wait and see about that anyway :)

Still, feeling pretty excited about new SW contents coming, can't be bad, can it?

TuxedoCartman
10-31-2012, 01:53 AM
LOL... I see you've forgotten the buildup to Episode 1. ^_^

Darth Ryo
10-31-2012, 02:27 AM
But I liked Episode I..... ok kidding :P
Hope we won't have the same kind of stuff!

DarthRevenchist89
10-31-2012, 03:16 AM
I will say that i was fairly young when episode 1 came out but i had the same feeling that the characters in Fanboys had when thinking that all was lost and than a bright new shiny light was coming (although a very strange and ugly one at that). I wasn't completely disappointed with 1-3 but I have always felt that if you are a fan of star wars you celebrate new content because it keeps it alive while we can grumble and gripe on our own about what should or shouldn't be different. I grew up watching star wars like everyone else. I just of all of this that my children will be able to experience the same type of excitement that I felt when I was a boy.

Crystal Chambers
10-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Ewe!..Marvel comparisons. Have you ever read the comicbooks? BUTCHERED! So much rewriting it's not funny. Almost every superhero movie were aweful for this.

Disney has been known to threaten lawsuits against small rural daycare centers. They are founded in pure evil. From propanda to children, to robbing their parents with overpriced merch.

I can't help but think Lucas planned this with JarJar and young Anakin etc. It just seems more CG and youth wich is more disney's thing lately.

As much as I would love to see the little Solos tearing it up on the big screen, it seems likely this will be more disappointing then the prequils. I didn't mind them but they were flawed in so many ways.

Too bad 4 billion fans couldn't chip in a buck each on it!

Dom
10-31-2012, 07:44 AM
I may get flayed for this, but why does everyone hate on the prequels? I admit the acting is not great and jar jar was a bit much but other than that, luke was just as much of a whiner as anakin. I thought lucas did a good job describing the events that led up to anh. all i am saying is they are not as terrible as everyone makes them out to be. I mean come in in rots when anakin puts on the vader outfit and you hear the first snap his that was AWESOME.

Yeah that was pretty good. ROTS wasn't bad at all, but the previous two were awful.

Weaver
10-31-2012, 08:00 AM
You may be on to something, CC. Think about it: A Kickstarter project, funded solely by die-hard Star Wars fans, to raise the money it would take to film the sequels, but with creative control restricted to those who loved the films the way they were meant to be; the way they were before merchandising and breathing new life into an old franchise took the front seat.

"Hey, Hollywood! Here's $4B. Make the films right this time."

Xevious
10-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Hey, maybe they’ll remake the story of Anakin Skywalker:

The Clone Wars is a dark time for the Republic. The core worlds are being devastated by an army of clones from an unknown region in space. Ordinary men and women must leave their families to fight this alien menace.

In Episode I, we meet a young man by the name of Anakin Skywalker – mad, bad and dangerous to know. Gifted but headstrong, he leads his squadron of fighters against the incursion. In the chaos of war, he befriends a Jedi by the name of Obi-Wan Kenobi. As the Jedi are scattered and spread thin across the Galaxy, Kenobi takes it upon himself to train young Anakin in the ways of the Jedi.

In Episode II, Skywalker and Obi-Wan lead their army to many victories, liberating many core worlds from the evil clone army. During their adventures, an incredibly captivating woman falls for Anakin because he’s such a badass – romance ensues, and they elope. Word spreads of power culminating in the Chancellor’s office as dire political action is taken to support the war effort – we hear about this only through exposition because this isn't C-Span. Anakin’s battles bring him closer to the Dark side – hatred for his enemy fuels his victories.

In the final episode, the clone army makes its last big push on Coruscant. The battle is fierce, and it looks dire for our heroes. In the exchange, young Anakin believes his wife is killed. He goes full darkside. The clones are defeatd. Obi-Wan tries to redeem Anakin, but fails. They fight. Kenobi cuts his pupil up good, but is forced to retreat. At the end of the tale, Anakin is noticed by the Chancellor who gives him a new mission and name. The rest is implied. The end.

Ronan
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Hopefully it works out... we own a LOT of Disney shares... :)

VicSkimmr
10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm personally excited for this. I don't have an opinion nearly as cynical as CC and think Disney has done wonders for Marvel. Besides, the Phase I movies were written and directed by Marvel itself, Disney really didn't have much to do with anything related to Phase I except that they kept their noses out of it, which is good.

As much as I enjoy the prequel trilogy just because it's Star Wars and I can ignore some of the really awful parts of it (the execution of order 66, midichlorians, the awful scripts, lack of plot, etc etc), I don't think it could be handled any worse with someone other than Lucas at the helm. I had settled into thinking the Clone Wars tv show would be the last redeeming thing to come out of the Star Wars universe, but now I have hope.

TimeRender
10-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Disney's whole approach to Marvel has been pretty hands-off. I agree that the movies aren't perfect representations of the comic books, but the Marvel films have been pretty great as "stand-alone" media. My hope for this is that Disney continues to allow Lucasarts to take the creative lead with their projects. I also break from the pack a bit by hoping that they completely disregard the EU material, much of which I always felt was sub-par. I honestly think the worst thing that could come from the acquisition is that we see a Star Wars level in an upcoming Kingdom Hearts. If that's as bad as it gets, I'm on board.

On a side note, who wants to start a petition now to get Joss Whedon involved in future Star Wars films? I can't think of anyone else I'd rather see taking the reigns on this.

Edit: Oh oh oh and is anyone else at least curious about the possibility of Square Enix working with certain newly acquired Disney franchises OUTSIDE of the Kingdom Hearts context? A Square-Lucas collaboration might be something really special.

Crystal Chambers
10-31-2012, 05:38 PM
I wonder if the live action TV series will still be a go for 2013!

Starwinder
11-01-2012, 06:41 AM
Slashfilm had a great article from the other day on what is known (and still unknown) about Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm and what that entails for other Lucas-related projects (ILM, live action SW show, etc.).

http://www.slashfilm.com/your-questions-answered-disney-purchase-lucasfilm-star-wars-episode-7/

Also, check out today's homepage article on what Mark Hamill knows! http://www.slashfilm.com/george-lucas-told-mark-hamill-and-carrie-fisher-about-the-new-trilogy-last-year/#more-146218

VicSkimmr
11-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Disney's whole approach to Marvel has been pretty hands-off. I agree that the movies aren't perfect representations of the comic books, but the Marvel films have been pretty great as "stand-alone" media. My hope for this is that Disney continues to allow Lucasarts to take the creative lead with their projects. I also break from the pack a bit by hoping that they completely disregard the EU material, much of which I always felt was sub-par. I honestly think the worst thing that could come from the acquisition is that we see a Star Wars level in an upcoming Kingdom Hearts. If that's as bad as it gets, I'm on board.

On a side note, who wants to start a petition now to get Joss Whedon involved in future Star Wars films? I can't think of anyone else I'd rather see taking the reigns on this.

Edit: Oh oh oh and is anyone else at least curious about the possibility of Square Enix working with certain newly acquired Disney franchises OUTSIDE of the Kingdom Hearts context? A Square-Lucas collaboration might be something really special.

Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 are both slated for 2015. That'd be an awfully busy year for him, heh.

psab keel
11-01-2012, 02:15 PM
As long as they don't mess with TCSS and and other smiths (or costuming groups) I don't care what they do with the story. My concern has more to do with the fans, and how Disney deals with fan efforts/ costumes, props, and that kind of thing. Copyright issues, intellectual property, etc.

nartules
11-01-2012, 10:53 PM
There's very little to gain from going after small communities such as ours, and far more to loose. For one, we are internet based...its too easy for information to spread through the internet now. If the saber sites were shuttered, it would be all over the media and the horrible PR backlash would cost Disney too much money.

They've left the Marvel fan costumer's/merchants alone. They've seen how a strong fan base can increase sales, so best not to attack them.

Everyone fear's the worst, but those fears are unfounded. Disney has attacked with litigation individuals in the past, but not communities of fans.

Everyone take a deep breath, it will all be okay and we'll get some new content out of it :)

Crystal Chambers
11-02-2012, 05:28 AM
"Worse case Ontario" We have to stop selling replicas and call our hilts lightswords or something along those lines. Lets hope that it doesn't come to that.

TheTyler0013
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
I welcome it. I mean heck everyone flipped when they bought marvel, and looked what happened since then. We got phase 1 with the avengers movies. I think this will bring something to the table.