PDA

View Full Version : Kyaryo's First Saber Build - Needs a name

Kyaryo Ysoyav
10-30-2012, 11:03 AM
So I thought it would be nice to have a record of my first build. I'm working on a saber that I'll put together over the next few months with the goal for completion around March of next year. Here's the render I'm shooting for:

This is a Jedi saber despite its dark color scheme. It will have a green blade. More pictures will come as I get things done. Let me know what you think!

And extra thanks to everyone who has answered questions and helped me to make this happen.

Kyaryo Ysoyav
10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Just to follow up quickly on the first post with a picture of the main hilt section. Style #4 from TCSS.

Not sure how to make the pictures bigger...is that photobucket related?

Kyaryo Ysoyav
11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Got more parts in today...everything to finish the hilt. Pictures forthcoming. :o

Lucien Kane
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Retribution... Shyrax... I dunno those were the names that popped into my head. What electronics are you planning on using?

Kyaryo Ysoyav
11-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Looking at a PC 2.0, a GGW Tri-rebel (extra bright green and white FoC) with a 14500 7.4V battery pack. I like the name ideas...need a good list to pick from :D I'm thinking something that kind of pays tribute to a Jedi's function as a "light in the dark" so to speak. Any ideas?

MasterStoddard
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Maybe "ssussun" which is Drow for light or "ssussun wun l'olath" for light in the dark. Drow are the dark elves of Dungeons and Dragons.

IvPalmer
11-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Green? I think a yellow blade would look better, due to the yellow details, no?

As for names, lemme see, I like to name objects based on feelings and emotions. Could be something like "Mercy", "Fear", "Sorrow", "Joy", and so on... can't be "Despair", that's already my saber hahaha

IvPalmer
11-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Maybe "ssussun" which is Drow for light or "ssussun wun l'olath" for light in the dark. Drow are the dark elves of Dungeons and Dragons.

My drow had a red energy sword in Neverwinter Nights called "Xukuth Lac'nala".. it's drow for "Heart Seeker"

This yellow saber could be named "Sssiks" too.. means "Sun"

But again, I think a yellow blade would look really nice on it

Boj-Vaati Mau
11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Just to follow up quickly on the first post with a picture of the main hilt section. Style #4 from TCSS.

Not sure how to make the pictures bigger...is that photobucket related?

Hover over your image then left click on the IMG Code at the bottom of the list. Paste it into your post and it'll give you the larger image in line with your text.
Good looking saber and I'd go for a yellow blade too (white LED with yellow Lee filter comes out to a nice highlighter yellow) but blade color is personal pref too. I run the aforementioned yellow and a pure green as I'm a Sentinel with Guardian leanings. ; }

MandoJoe
11-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Well, being the Mandalorian nutjob that I am, I just so happen to know a few words of Mando'a.

Kad'au is Mando'a for lightsaber. Nau'ur Kad means "to forge a saber" (literally "lit up saber"). Dha means "dark". Nau'ur lo te Dha would literally be "Lit up in the dark", and nau'ur te dha would be "Light up the dark". Mando'a is relatively fluid in structure, so you can play around with it.

Kyaryo Ysoyav
11-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Great ideas everyone! I'll have to put some thought into while I finish up the outside. I should have pics up today or tomorrow. I am however, dead set on green. I've always loved that color!

Kyaryo Ysoyav
11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Also, MandoJoe, you wouldn't happen to know the Mandalorian for "Hope" would you? I'm a big fan of Mandos too! :D

MandoJoe
11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Hmm. Doesn't appear to be a direct word for Hope. I know that Venku (as in Venku "Kad'ika" Skirata), which is derived from the word "Ven" (Future) is in reference to a positive outlook on the future. "Jate" is the word for good, so Jate Ven would be the literal translation of a good future. Ori'Jate (Very Good) Ven, maybe? Venku would probably be the best bet, as far as "hope" goes, though.

Kyaryo Ysoyav
11-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Here's the completed hilt.

This is from the front with the flash on.

From the side.

So this is the hilt as I wanted it, the only thing missing is the insert for the pommel. My wife wanted to have some custom engraving done for Christmas, so I will post pics when I get it :) . The solid pommel insert is the reason for the holes drilled around the pommel.

Still undecided on the name...

MandoJoe
11-21-2012, 10:15 PM
That is one mighty fine lookin' saber ya got there. I have to ask, is it powder coated or painted, because those are some very nice lines between the colors. Very well done.

Kyaryo Ysoyav
11-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks! I am very happy with how it came out! It's hand painted and then baked on. I used painters tape after baking on the black spray on the emitter and pommel, but the 4 gold stripes on the main hilt body are just painted in. They were recessed anyways, so it wasn't too hard. I have a little experience with detail painting from Warhammer 40,000 miniatures I used to paint.

Xene
11-21-2012, 11:16 PM
How about reverance?The saber looks elagant and stylish~
Tis awesome ^^

MasterStoddard
11-21-2012, 11:19 PM
40k is always helpful for detail painting. I haven't played or done anything with my Space Marine army in years.

Kyaryo Ysoyav
11-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Me either...played Space Marines, too!

Kyaryo Ysoyav
11-23-2012, 03:48 PM
My saber is now properly enshrined:

Picked this up at Michael's last night. Cost about $15 total. The saber is resting on two felt covered watch holders that were in the clearance section. Yay Black Friday (Which I normally hate, but since it was open last night, it wasn't bad :) ).

Darth Ryo
11-26-2012, 04:52 AM
Very nice looking, congrats ;)

Kyaryo Ysoyav
12-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Decided on a name, but first a little bit more about the reasoning behind the name of this saber. So, "Battlecry" is a rough translation of the Chinese author Lu Xun's 魯迅 compilation Nahan 吶喊. (I'm a Chinese Major, btw) So in the introduction to his book he talks about how he feels that as an author it is his responsibility to cry out in the darkness to others who are struggling through hopeless times, that they may know that they are not alone and that there is still hope. These cries also function as a "call to arms" (another translation of Nahan) to help people rally against said darkness. I really like this, and feel that it is a key responsibility of a Jedi Knight. Therefore, I chose to name my saber after it ("Call to arms" just doesn't work as a name )

This also play a little bit into the dark color scheme of the saber. Black with gold highlights is elegant, yes, but also symbolizes the darkness and is more suited for stealth work. I also got the black/gold idea from a fountain pen I own.

MandoJoe
12-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I like it. Very fitting.

Starwinder
12-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I dig it Kyaryo. The meaning behind the name really suits the saber. And i gotta give you credit for knowing your Chinese lit.

Kyaryo Ysoyav
01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Working on temporarily wiring it up as a stunt. Thought I'd share a valuable lesson: when using two AAAs to test which pads go with which LED on a Rebel Tri-star, don't look at the LED. DUH! I think I can almost see without a green blip in my vision now. :-D Just FYI, if anyone doesn't know, each die rest betweens it's associated pads.

Silver Serpent
01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Heh. Use a single AA, and wear sunglasses next time :cool:

Kyaryo Ysoyav
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Probably a good idea. :cool: I got it all wired up, and the Tri-rebel looks great. The two greens are bright enough that I might have to order a dueling blade just to dim it a little...or when I get a PC I might take the current down from 1000ma to 800ma or something. But I guess it has the real lightsaber effect...I mean, really, who would stare directly at a blade made of pure energy...:-D

Pictures forthcoming...have to go make dinner so the wife is happy!

Kyaryo Ysoyav
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Here's the pictures I promised (All of these are in a fully lit room, but the darkness is from the camera compensating for the blade):

With blade and AV lit, blade plug in.
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag15/KyaryoYsoyav/LitSaberLQ_zps54c91f75.jpg

With blade:
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag15/KyaryoYsoyav/SaberwithBladeLQ_zps15b3f5a4.jpg

Comparison with my MR Obi ROTS:
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag15/KyaryoYsoyav/SaberCompLQ_zps330b1b2d.jpg

Detail of the pommel insert my wife gave me:
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag15/KyaryoYsoyav/PommelInsertDetail_zpsbc95699f.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Darth Ryo
01-17-2013, 01:25 AM
That's a very fine weapon you got here Kyaryo, I really like the black and gold finish and overall look :D
Plus that insert look definitely cool, kudos to your wife too ;)

Starwinder
01-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Lookin good! I like what you did with the dual colors on the blade holder - looks great lit up!

Kyaryo Ysoyav
01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys! Kudos to my wife and Tim for the pommel insert. It came out looking fantastic. He actually ended up sending me two, now I'm going to have to build an offhand saber to use the other one in!

Darth Ryo
01-21-2013, 03:28 AM
Haha always a good reason to build another one huh?
But you're right, that extra pommel insert definitely need a host ;) looking forward to it!

Kyaryo Ysoyav
01-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Got my PC wired up and have the everything but the FOC and the RICE port up and running. Having problems with both of those, but I'm happy with what I've got for now. I'll play with it later. Thanks to forgetful jedi knight to his wiring help and others who helped me troubleshoot! I'd post pictures of the wiring, but it is dreadfully sloppy. I'm looking for a ribbon cable or something to rewire things a bit more neatly later.