PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl by Yoshi-Taka

Yoshi-Taka
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Confession time: I'm a very avid brony and until now, I haven't had the chance to really show it here. Once I had enough money saved up, I placed my order and waited. Inspired by one of my favourite ponies in the series, Vinyl Scratch (http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/133/4/e/vinyl_scratch_by_monkey678ruby-d3g9zxa.png), it's meant to look and feel like a unicorn's horn. The blade matches her horn's aura when she's using magic. So here's all the specs and details:

-MHS parts, all media blasted to give it a natural bone look to it
-Novasound Neutrino soundboard
-Seoul P4 (3W, blue)
-3.7V 2600mAh 18650 li-ion battery
-16mm antivandal momentary switch
-TCSS premium speaker

Normally I use a 4AA NiMH battery setup, but it doesn't fit in the ribbed extensions! I was very sad so I'm testing the li-ion battery and hoping for the best. I'm planning on upgrading this in the future (next month) to give it a recharge port. And now for some glamour shots!

And a video for funsies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoqt27GnIzk

And that's Vinyl. I'm extremely proud to call this my personal saber, just as much so as I am proud to be a brony.

jedimastergarcia87
10-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Novasound doesn't sound half bad in an MHS hilt. How was it wiring up and would you recommend doing the same set up you did? Single 18650 cell? How was the wiring of the board? Not too difficult? and does this sound board have more of a Jedi sound to it than other Novasounds?

Yoshi-Taka
10-25-2012, 07:30 AM
The Neutrino is extremely user friendly. There are only 8 tabs to solder to and they're clearly labeled on the board. I've never used this battery setup before so it's still in testing. My fear is overheading the board but I think it'll be okay. I can't say anything about the Novasound series; I've only used the Neutrino. My only complaint is not having a "Dark Side" font or anything like that to work on. Truthfully, this board is only temporary in this saber. It's later going to be upgraded with a Petit Crouton and a recharge port, the latter happening first.

The Neutrino is really good for someone who wants to put their saber together quick and easy, and doesn't need all the bells and whistles of a Petit Crouton or Crystal Focus. I like its simplicity, I just wish I could mess with soundfonts.

MandoJoe
10-26-2012, 10:14 AM
A brony?! Not in MY Star Wars!!!!

*chuckles* Kidding, of course. I really like this one, Yoshi. I think having the whole thing media blasted is an absolute stroke of genius. The simple symmetry of this also makes my brain very happy. I love that you can take something out of another fandom, craft a lightsaber out of it, and it's still in your simple and tasteful style. Excellent work, sir.

Yoshi-Taka
10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
A brony?! Not in MY Star Wars!!!!
It's more likely than you think. =p

*chuckles* Kidding, of course. I really like this one, Yoshi. I think having the whole thing media blasted is an absolute stroke of genius. The simple symmetry of this also makes my brain very happy. I love that you can take something out of another fandom, craft a lightsaber out of it, and it's still in your simple and tasteful style. Excellent work, sir.
Thank you. The original idea came from Madcow and his Krayt bone lightsabers. While I can't do the same thing, I can get something close to it. And since white powder coating wasn't available..
The ribbed extension gives me the perfect grip for my hands. It's perfectly lengthed and spaced and feels easy to wield and spin even in full speed combat. The media blasting is great for adding a great texture to keep it from slipping even in sweaty hands.

tl;dr - this saber is perfect for me and I've never been so happy to own a saber. I can't wait to upgrade with a recharge port.
Also my next two sabers are gonna be pony inspired as well, so.. yeah, the crossover sabers ain't going anywhere. lol

MandoJoe
10-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Glad to hear it. I'm thinking about making my next one a crossover saber now...*sigh* Thanks a lot.

Yoshi-Taka
10-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Whoo! My plan is unfolding as planned! Now to prepare to upgrade this saber and design more ponysabers.