PDA

View Full Version : MHS CAD service?

Strydur
10-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Would anyone be interested if I offered a service to order 3D CAD drawings of MHS builds? Here is what you would get for a $20 fee (estimate) to cover my time.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/cadtest.pdf <--adobe 3D PDF

Silver Serpent
10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
The pictures are kinda nifty, but the Adobe 3d pdf is much much nicer. I like the ability to rotate the render around and see it from multiple angles.

The Yin
10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Wow, that is pretty cool. I'm not sure if or when I would need that, but, to have an option for a 3D rendering of the MHS build is awesome.

-The Yin

Evilpancreas
10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
That's a fantastic idea. It really lets the person get a feel for what their saber is going to be like.

Mav750k
10-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I would be very interested in .IGS files of MHS sections that I could play with, mix and modify on my own. Making them individually on our own isn't hard, and I'm not sure how you would feel about opening up your files and specs to General public like that.

patolcott
10-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Hey Tim I would love to help I am a engineering major and am profficient with Rhino, as well as Catia V5 r20 and would love to hone my skills designing and drafting, pm me if you are at all interested.

Strydur
10-23-2012, 12:17 AM
The reason I was offering this service is that it is only for MHS parts which I already have modeled in 3D. So basically I just need to create the assembly from the parts and do coloring, etc..

I would probably also provide a 2D drawing with some basic dimensions. I have thought of offering this a few times and what would be really cool is to offer full sized posters with the sabers name, etc.. but since I do not have a poster printer I decided to just see if anyone would be interested in this.

jedimastergarcia87
10-23-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm down. I got a build in mind but I can't do anything right now. Do we just PM you if were interested and send a pic of what we want done?

Strydur
10-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I just added a CAD services item to the services section.

Jev Moldara
10-24-2012, 07:20 AM
I'd much rather see a full 3D render of the saber, but that's the CAD guy in me speaking.

patolcott
10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Being able to have a poster made of a finished lightsaber would be awesome. I would most definately pay for that you could get really creative with it depending on how good you were with photo shop. But like Jev said also having the option to see a full 3d render is good too

Crystal Chambers
10-25-2012, 04:28 AM
Is it just me or is the perspective backwards on the angled view? It looks smaller at the emitter then the pommel. It give me the illusion of a taper towards the blade.

Jev Moldara
10-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Being able to have a poster made of a finished lightsaber would be awesome. I would most definately pay for that you could get really creative with it depending on how good you were with photo shop. But like Jev said also having the option to see a full 3d render is good too

I have further thoughts on the matter, bus since I'm still relatively new and do not wish to anger Strydur or alienate myself on this board, I shall keep them to myself.

Is it just me or is the perspective backwards on the angled view? It looks smaller at the emitter then the pommel. It give me the illusion of a taper towards the blade.

It's not you. The image you're talking about looks like it was done in parallel projection as opposed to perspective projection.

For those not aware, the difference is that a parallel projection is a 2D representation from an angle, whereas a perspective is more of a 3D(ish) view.

The reason the saber looks tapered is because of the parallel projection. Given that (according to the side section view below it) the saber is indeed wider at the pommel than at the emitter, and with the beveled emitter, the image does give the illusion of a greater taper than is actually present.

Wow, I just went into full lecture mode, didn't I?

Strydur
10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
You must be thinking some pretty harsh things if you cannot say them without fear of angering me lol.. Feel free to send me a E-mail as I am all for constructive criticism.

Crystal Chambers
10-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the "perspective" Jev. lol

I'm actually a graphic designer myself but not familiar with the software used here and having an image without proper perspective seems odd to me. Personally I like the look of MHS builder better myself at this point.

Jev Moldara
10-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the "perspective" Jev. lol

Not a problem. This is what I do for a living, and it's always good to share my knowledge.

I'm actually a graphic designer myself but not familiar with the software used here and having an image without proper perspective seems odd to me. Personally I like the look of MHS builder better myself at this point.

Well, the Cad Services and the MHS builder use the same basic software as I understand it, which is Solidworks. The difference being that (again, this is only how I understand it. If I'm wrong, I'm sure that Strydur will let me know) the MHS builder uses snapshots of a 3D part based on orthographic projection (front, side, top, etc), whereas the CAD Services uses snapshots from any conceivable angle.

Strydur
10-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Not a problem. This is what I do for a living, and it's always good to share my knowledge.

Well, the Cad Services and the MHS builder use the same basic software as I understand it, which is Solidworks. The difference being that (again, this is only how I understand it. If I'm wrong, I'm sure that Strydur will let me know) the MHS builder uses snapshots of a 3D part based on orthographic projection (front, side, top, etc), whereas the CAD Services uses snapshots from any conceivable angle.

Correct...and you cannot rotate the MHS builder like you can the 3D PDF.