PDA

View Full Version : A strange post, this will be. Also, hello CSB, I finally made a post!

Scourch
10-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Totally meant TCSS, no idea what CSB is. Custom saber buddies, lol? Well anyway, hello everyone, first time poster. So let's just get into it!

So about a year or so ago, I ordered some parts, and bought a Hasbro lightsaber, and gutted it. Then... it fell by the wayside, collecting dust. Now with Halloween approaching I was rummaging around and found the old parts, and here they are!
(Sorry about the quality)

[[A note: The glass lens for the LED I now realized was not in the pictures. I have it, so, that's accounted for as well as the heat sink. That's in the hilt itself right now.]]

So here is why the post is kind of strange. I can't remember what the hell I was doing haha. At the time I did, but it's been a while. Fortunately, most of the board is labeled and with it's original parts still soldered there, I have a pretty good idea of what goes where. All I am wondering is, does it seem like I missing anything? I'm pretty sure this is about all I need for a real basic build with some sound. The other thing I can't remember is, why did I order some resistors?

Anyways, I'm gonna try piecing this thing together tomorrow night, hopefully I won't break anything. This close to Halloween, it'll be hard getting parts!

[[Edit again: I figured out where one of the resistors goes. I was going with a direct drive approach, since this was my first time. So, I guess one is going from the battery pack to the LEDs. Still not sure about the other one yet]]

Ari-Jaq Xulden
10-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Everybody gets one: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial&highlight=2010+hasbro

Scourch
10-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Everybody gets one: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial&highlight=2010+hasbro

Right on! This looks like just the thing. I'll update with a pic of the hopefully finished saber tomorrow!

Looks like this is the build I was/am going for. http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/Wiring%20Diagrams%20and%20reviews/Economy%20Boards/2010ModifiedBasicrev01-10-2011.png

But I don't have that PNP transistor. Is that something I will need?

Lord Dottore Matto
10-19-2012, 12:42 PM
You need it if you want it to be bright at all. You can get it at Radio Shack.

Scourch
10-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Already went and got it, but thank you! So I was practicing my soldering skills...man, it is not easy. It's a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. How much can an electrical board take with heat? I tried so hard not to touch it all, but a few times I did. Thankfully this was a practice board, but still. I imagine I must have ruined it at that point, yeah?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-19-2012, 04:30 PM
You should be touching the board for maybe a second, tops. You should not have the tip touching the tabs for any longer than that. And yes, it isn't easy and it does take quite a bit of practice.