PDA

View Full Version : Diffuser

Erik
10-29-2005, 07:36 PM
I've seen some debate on TFN at Loreen's tutorial section. Is there a noticible difference in using 1/2 vs 7/16 Poly E? Also, do you have a technique for helping the diffuser straighten out? It seems like many methods could be used, but how to get it straight before applying heat?

Strydur
10-29-2005, 08:00 PM
when I tried using 1/2" od inside my tube I was never able to get it inside without applying something to help it slide and then it was still a pain. It also magnifies any scratchs inside the tube and doesnt look all that great. The ones I sell and use do make a slight smacking sound when hit against something but its not that bad. I put the polye over a metal rod and then use the heat gun to straighten it.

Tim

informalmyx
10-29-2005, 11:23 PM
lol strydur could you make a tutorial for straightening PolyE something quick or maybe just a pic of the setup you use so we could get a general idea [:p]

<center>http://home.earthlink.net/~myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

GeluKhanGharr
11-02-2005, 03:36 AM
I have seen some 1/2 PolyE at Lowes in 10' sections that was straight, not in coils. Again the problem of fitting it in the Polycarbonate tube is still there, but someone suggested sanding it. Haven't tried it yet, buy I will. Tim's PolyE fits in just nicely, but as he mentioned, they do make that claping noise, and I'd love to get rid of it because it overshadows the Hasbro sound module.

GeluKhanGharr
11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Ok, I tried it, it sucks. Clapping noise? What clapping noise? http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/54.gif

Born of Sith, seduced by the light side.

DannMann99
11-16-2005, 09:12 PM
how do you mean it sucks. Did it still not slide in, or did it diffuse too much because of the sanding?

GeluKhanGharr
11-17-2005, 01:32 AM
It requires WAY too much sanding. Once in, it's ok, but not worth the trouble...more than 2 hours

Born of Sith, seduced by the light side.

GFORCE13
12-10-2005, 04:28 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I've seen some debate on TFN at Loreen's tutorial section. Is there a noticible difference in using 1/2 vs 7/16 Poly E? Also, do you have a technique for helping the diffuser straighten out? It seems like many methods could be used, but how to get it straight before applying heat

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The first 2 blades I made were using this tutorial, the only problem is the PolyCarbonate she recommends is only 1/16" Th. and I had one of them break right at the hilt due to excessive flexing by Nate( I told him it was unbreakable[:(]). But all of Tim's PolyCarb is 1/8" Th. and should hold up better.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Stan Johnson
12-15-2005, 10:36 AM
I think I read that Loreen uses hot glue to keep the end cap on, am I right? I think I also read that someone's endcap fell off because the glue melted when left in a hot car. If I am correct about Loreen's method of hot glue, then this is another reason to just stick to Tim's tutorial.

There are those who call me Piemaster

GFORCE13
12-16-2005, 03:35 AM
http://boards.theforce.net/Costuming_and_Props/b10019/15796050/p1
Actually her design doesn't even use an end cap just silicone, as far as using the 1/2" OD PE Diffuser it slid right in Tims 3/4" Polycarb with no sanding required and is straight without any clapping sound at all.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Strydur
12-16-2005, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't assume this is always the case. I have ordered 1/2OD PolyE and couldnt get it to fit without some serious work and lubricating it. But 1/2"OD from one store can be allot different from 1/2"OD from another store..so you might get lucky.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

GFORCE13
12-17-2005, 01:55 AM
Thanks Tim you are probably right, there is probably a variance from one batch to another, I just got Lucky.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Jedi-Loreen
12-19-2005, 03:04 AM
<font color="purple">Hi guys!

Boy, I should have joined this Forum sooner![:p]

I no longer use, or recommend, hot glue to seal the ends of blades, it gets soft if the blade gets warm in hot weather and can come out. I've never used, or even talked about, an "end cap" of any kind.

I've been using silcone, but I have a few of the acrylic half balls I bought last year when placing an order with USPlastic and never used, that I may put on my last few blades I need to retro-fit for myself.

I am now using 1/8" walled polycarb. tubing that I'm getting from a local supplier and am in the process of redoing all my own personal blades, and many of the ones I made for local friends, getting rid of the 1/16" tubing and bushings. I am offering to give people back their now empty 1/16" tubing if they want to make "practice" blades out of them by putting wooden dowels wrapped with colored paper or something inside them. (Some people like to save their EL blades for night fighting, or just demonstrations.)

Apparently, my polycarb. tubing has a slightly larger diameter than Tim's, because I have very little trouble getting my 1/2" diffuser tubing inside it. I think it probably makes for a stiffer blade.

I do, however, have some trouble fitting my blades into some sabers that have very tight blade holders. I just sand them down and polish them a bit. Extra work for me though. [V]

I have pretty much retired now though, after I make a few more blades that I've promised. Once I've used up the 2 cases of polycarb tubing that I bought, that's it, I'm done. I never wanted to end up going into any kind of business anyway, but people saw my blades, and how many that I had in different colors, back in 2003, and began asking me to make blades for them, which is how it started. [8)]

If people ask me about making blades now, I'm starting to send them over here, to Tim.</font id="purple">

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

Luke-SkyMarcher
02-03-2006, 09:50 PM
ah, I know exactly what is meant by sanding diffusers... I have had three blades I have ordered from Tim that the 1/2" diffuser fit in pretty easily without sanding. Two took a little while, but not long enough to not seem worth it. The last two I have been working on have been horrible... I almost think the smaller diffuser would have fit in without rattling at all.