PDA

View Full Version : Petit Crouton v2.0 Components

IvPalmer
09-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Greetings,

I am putting together a complete saber with sound for my closing project at university (I asked for help in a thread here, maybe some of you will remember). I'm using Petit Crouton 2.0 and the thing is, for my presentation, i'll surely have to explain every piece of that board, what everything is and how does it work. The manual explain some things, but it's mostly wiring schematics and I need to know about the components also.

So, I made this image to see if you guys could help me out!

1: ?
2: ?
3: ?
4: Sensor?
5: Sensor?
6: Sensor?
7: ?
8: SD Card station?
9: ?
10: MCU, obviously. PIC24 right? Anyone has details about it?
11: ?
12: ?
13: ?

Thanks in advance!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Since the board is the Intellectual Property of Plecter Labs/ISG, I seriously doubt they will share what each and every chip is and what it does.

In general terms, on the board, there is a LED driver, speaker amp, a central processor, a couple of sensors and some other things. I think it would be better for you to explain the functioning of the board as a whole, and things like the main LED is connected here, the speakers, there, the main switch does this, the aux switch does that, you can add accessory LED's here, and you can set various parameters by saving them to the microSD card found here... things like that, and how they relate tot he other parts of the saber. Good Luck with your presentation.

IvPalmer
09-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Since the board is the Intellectual Property of Plecter Labs/ISG, I seriously doubt they will share what each and every chip is and what it does.

In general terms, on the board, there is a LED driver, speaker amp, a central processor, a couple of sensors and some other things. I think it would be better for you to explain the functioning of the board as a whole, and things like the main LED is connected here, the speakers, there, the main switch does this, the aux switch does that, you can add accessory LED's here, and you can set various parameters by saving them to the microSD card found here... things like that, and how they relate tot he other parts of the saber. Good Luck with your presentation.

Thanks for replying! Any information I can get will be extremely helpful!
I figured I'd never get a complete description, that's why I asked here, I was hoping maybe someone knew enough about the board to have an idea of what each thing does.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for replying! Any information I can get will be extremely helpful!
I figured I'd never get a complete description, that's why I asked here, I was hoping maybe someone knew enough about the board to have an idea of what each thing does.

Without getting into specifics, for various reasons, anyone of the VERY few who knows what all the parts are won't be discussing them. This is why I "sketched" out the board for you in general terms. Sorry.

Machinimax
09-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Post removed.

Lord Dottore Matto
09-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I am indeed one of the people who "can" answer you. I will say that this is not the place for the discussion. If you want to ask specific questions that do not cross the line, I would suggest that you speak to Erv' directly. The best way to contact Erv' is via PM or you can PM me and I will help you get in contact. I will be watching this thread and if it gets out of hand, it will go away.

xl97
09-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Maybe take ANOTHER sound board.. (one that isnt sold & supported here).. to use as the 'topic/lecture' on its components..??

for example.. why not use a MR board? That way people can actually help you post what the components are.. and you can google it to find out its purpose/use.

I believe you have some of your 'picks' wrong..

also.. since you say that is the PIC24 chip... why ask for details? You can google the chip, look at its datasheet and get any 'details' you might want/need for it..

the only details beyond that are locked in the Erv Vault.. as its the code/firmware that 'makes it work'

good luck

IvPalmer
09-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the answers guys, with the general sketch I'll at least be able to get down to the university lab and make some research.

I am indeed one of the people who "can" answer you. I will say that this is not the place for the discussion. If you want to ask specific questions that do not cross the line, I would suggest that you speak to Erv' directly. The best way to contact Erv' is via PM or you can PM me and I will help you get in contact. I will be watching this thread and if it gets out of hand, it will go away.

I completely understand that you can't share specific information and, by all means, if I ask something that you consider inappropriate, feel free to remove it. I'd be very gratefull if you could get me in contact with Erv.

Maybe take ANOTHER sound board.. (one that isnt sold & supported here).. to use as the 'topic/lecture' on its components..??

for example.. why not use a MR board? That way people can actually help you post what the components are.. and you can google it to find out its purpose/use.

I believe you have some of your 'picks' wrong..

also.. since you say that is the PIC24 chip... why ask for details? You can google the chip, look at its datasheet and get any 'details' you might want/need for it..

the only details beyond that are locked in the Erv Vault.. as its the code/firmware that 'makes it work'

good luck

I already bought the PC and I'm from Brazil, wich means at least 2 more weeks of wait and a bunch of dollars in taxes (again) :(

Let me thing of some general questions then.

1. I'd guess the motion sensors are based in a accelerometer, not a gyroscope, right?

2. All the LEDs are controlled by the same driver?

3. The MCU is a 16-bit one, correct? Would make sense, more performance than an 8-bit and a good cost-effect option to a 32 one

4. I don't have a lot of knowledge in accelerometers, but if you have one, doesn't it excludes the need of motion sensors?

That's all I can think of right now, if I crossed the line in any of these questions, I'm sorry and please feel free to tell me so.

Thanks a lot guys.

xl97
09-30-2012, 10:32 AM
I think those are pretty safe, and already common knowledge questions..

1.) yes - accelerometer
2.) main LED needs a driver
3.) I believe so.. (did you look up the part number/chip type?)
4.) this does the job of the 'mechanical' motion sensors (ie: swing and clash sensors.. all detected/parsed by the accelerometer)

IvPalmer
09-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I think those are pretty safe, and already common knowledge questions..

1.) yes - accelerometer
2.) main LED needs a driver
3.) I believe so.. (did you look up the part number/chip type?)
4.) this does the job of the 'mechanical' motion sensors (ie: swing and clash sensors.. all detected/parsed by the accelerometer)

Thank you! Those will be extremely helpful already. I'll do some research on the MCU as soon as i get home, i haven't checked the series number yet.

About the SD Card. I'd guess the board has a memory and the SD Card only keeps the references to the sound files, or are they all stored in the Card also?

Thanks again!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Thank you! Those will be extremely helpful already. I'll do some research on the MCU as soon as i get home, i haven't checked the series number yet.

About the SD Card. I'd guess the board has a memory and the SD Card only keeps the references to the sound files, or are they all stored in the Card also?

Thanks again!

The SD card has the sound fonts on it and also has parameters that can be set by the user stored on them.

IvPalmer
09-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Lovely!

Thanks a lot for the answers guys, these alone will already be of great use. If I think of something else I'll let you guys know!

Lord Dottore Matto
10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Lovely!

Thanks a lot for the answers guys, these alone will already be of great use. If I think of something else I'll let you guys know!

If you want me to pass this info on ot Erv' just email me at: ldm.tcss_services@yahoo.com and I will get you in contact.