PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Rebel wired for silver.

CGompertz09
09-16-2012, 06:12 PM
While I don't want to step up to the complexity of the LEDengin 10watt yet, I want an LED for a silver blade. (either just to have or for my next hilt). Seeing as most people wire up the LEDengins blue and white dice to mix for silver, I wondered if the new Tri-Rebel BBWs could be done similarly. Also want to get my idea of wiring up for this straight. The thought in my head is that to wire the dice together in series is that you would bridge the positive and negative pads of the Blue and White dice that are closest to one another, and then wire the other positive and negative to a JST connector like the current MWS LED module. Then probably running it at about 1000mAh. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Weaver
09-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Not sure on your intended wiring, but I will say that the LED Engin 10Ws are not that hard to wire. I ruined my first one, of course, but after careful practice and study, I managed to rig up my second Engin (an RGBW) on the first try. I used a Weller 20W fixed-temp iron with a conical tip, standard Radio Shack flux, and silver-bearing solder (teeny, teeny stuff). These diodes are much more resilient than I was led to believe, although the aluminum base does radiate heat away from the solder pads at an annoyingly efficient rate.

There are videos on YouTube, articles on the forum here, and articles on other forums which will help you out. I wouldn't try to talk you out of the Rebel, except it's just not that much more difficult to get the quads up and running, and I'm sure you'd enjoy the extra options. My saber has an Igniter in it, with the color mixing addon, so I was able to get my silver color dialed in to the exact shade I wanted. Depending on the card you're using, it may be as easily done in your setup.

In any case, I wish you success. That first real ignition on a fresh saber is the greatest feeling I've ever had. I hope you get what you're after.

Kaide
09-17-2012, 11:34 AM
While I don't want to step up to the complexity of the LEDengin 10watt yet, I want an LED for a silver blade. (either just to have or for my next hilt). Seeing as most people wire up the LEDengins blue and white dice to mix for silver, I wondered if the new Tri-Rebel BBWs could be done similarly. Also want to get my idea of wiring up for this straight. The thought in my head is that to wire the dice together in series is that you would bridge the positive and negative pads of the Blue and White dice that are closest to one another, and then wire the other positive and negative to a JST connector like the current MWS LED module. Then probably running it at about 1000mAh. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Ya, that should work. That's how I wired my RRW tri rebel & used the 3rd LED for flash on clash. If you use a PC it will regulate the V. If you're not using a board that can regulate the V, then you need to make sure you give it enough volts to power both LEDs in the series.