PDA

View Full Version : Petit crouton wiring question

Xene
09-13-2012, 05:00 PM
I remember reading a thread a while ago (cant remember where it was) and someone said putting the wires through the holes on a Petit crouton was bad but I cant remember why~

Im asking this cause Im using these chassis disks from TCSS http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Acrylic-Chassis-Disc-for-PC-20-and-14500-stick-pack-P769.aspx
And the only way I can think of to wire it up is to push the wires up through the bottem and solder on top~I know someone who does this sort of thing for a living and they say there shouldnt be a problem with doing it like this~if you do it very carefully~is this true?

Weaver
09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure if it's all through-hole wiring that's a no-no, on the Petit Crouton, but it's definitely not advised for the speaker connections. There were several people complaining of malfunctions which were found to have through-holed their speaker connections and unknowingly shorted the connections against the SD card holder. This is one of the reasons I prefer a certain other card, which has its connections arranged along the outside of the board.

Through-hole is bad for the PC. I'm sure if you search the boards, you'll find the threads I'm talking about. I'm not sure where they are.

Xene
09-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I was planning on running the speaker wires off the edge anyway~it was mainly for the switches ect~And does anyone know why its bad to run them through?

And I did try searching but like you cant remember where they are~ ;)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Erv' does not recommend soldering through the hole. Besides, if you are using a those chassis disks, wiring the board on top shouldn't be a problem at all.

Here is a quote from Erv' from FX-Sabers on the subject:

"soldering wires "flat on pads". I think I also mentioned "flat on top"* too but I didn't mean to avoid the underside.
Flat on pads is a personal recommendation and a rule of the thumb :

problem 1) beginners tend to over pour solder in the pad holes, and in certain area of the board, solder leaks under and create shorts. Pre tin the pad with little solder to just start filling the hole. Wait to cool down. Add some more quickly to have a bumpy-chubby-roundy pad, then solder the pre tinned wire

problem 2) having the wire totally inserted in the hole makes it difficult to remove when servicing the board (what ? you need to desolder wires on the sound boards ? really ?* :o* ;) )

problem 3) : having wires soldered perpendicular to the board require to be bent to be aligned with the board. Laying flat make alignment and insertion in the hilt easier."

Xene
09-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Really? wouldny having to bend the wires around/over squish them a lot and put stress on them?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Not if you plan it out ahead of time and do it right.

Xene
09-13-2012, 05:40 PM
hmmm~thats going to be fun~

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-13-2012, 05:43 PM
hmmm~thats going to be fun~

Most good builds tend to have some fun involved in them. ;)

Jay-gon Jinn
09-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Really? wouldny having to bend the wires around/over squish them a lot and put stress on them?You don't need to "squish" the wires to solder them to them to the board. The solder itself will form the bond between the pad and the wire if you do it right.

Kevin Starwaster
09-14-2012, 12:58 PM
I not only did mine throughhole, I soldered in headers so I can easily detach wiring. Except for speaker and rice.

It worked fine. The wires I soldered on top of the speaker pads broke though so I'm thinking of tring to solder two headers on top of those pads but they're not smd headers so I'm not sure if they'll stay on securely. Maybe I can use needle nose to flatten the pins...

Anyway, one rule of thumb is if you have to ask if you can then maybe you shouldn't try it until you have more experience. That aside, if you do it right it's not a problem.

Weaver
09-14-2012, 04:42 PM
"Headers"?

Zahc Zi Phan
09-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Hmmmn. That's interesting. The petit crouton 2.0 I got from TCSS a few weeks ago came with several connections pre-soldered, and most of them were "through the hole". I had to fix the aux switch positive, which came undone, soldered that through the hole, wired up the second accent led, the ground pad was being a beach so I de-soldered that, forked the ground wire to take another wire, and soldered it through the hole too. Then I finished the R.i.c.e. port soldering, stuck it all in the hilt, and viola! It all works like a charm. I may not be the example of how to flawlessly build a saber, just sayin the petit crouton is pretty sturdy in my experience so far. It survived me at least.

Kevin Starwaster
09-15-2012, 06:30 PM
"Headers"?

Those pins sticking up off a circuit board that you plug cables onto are 'male headers'.

I'd include a pic if I weren't on my iPhone and hadn't just awoken. Do a google image search for male header. First link. That's what they are.

Edit: oops I used bent not straight. It's more compact that way.

Weaver
09-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm happy taking your word for it. I was just curious. I'm sure I'm fine with not running any part of "male header" through Google. >_>

Kevin Starwaster
09-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm happy taking your word for it. I was just curious. I'm sure I'm fine with not running any part of "male header" through Google. >_>

Uhm yikes! I didn't see it that way..... though FYI nothing unusual showed up in the results... though I do have safe search enabled :P