PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the U.K

Ben-f
09-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi all, I am looking into building my first saber and am still reading all I can on this forum. You guys have got some awesome looking sabers and a lot of knowledge I hope to be able to come close to some of them. I'm going to throw my self in at the deep end as I want a saber with sound and FoC and all the bells and whistles and am currently building up a wish list. It's a bit daunting but I'm really looking forward to it.

Ben

shmoetech
09-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Welcome, its good fun and best of luck!

Silver Serpent
09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the forums! A few bits of advice:

1. Read, read, and read some more. Nearly every question you will have has been answered before. We're much happier to answer questions if you've tried to find the answer for yourself first.
2. I know it's tempting to want to make a saber with all the bells and whistles for your first. It's generally better to start simple, and upgrade the saber as your skills improve.
3. Watch your pocketbook. Not just on saber parts, but on tools as well. This isn't a cheap hobby, though it's not nearly as expensive as some others.
4. Play with the MHS builder http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php to get a feel for your design.
5. And above all, have fun while you're here!

Ben-f
09-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the forums! A few bits of advice:

1. Read, read, and read some more. Nearly every question you will have has been answered before. We're much happier to answer questions if you've tried to find the answer for yourself first.
2. I know it's tempting to want to make a saber with all the bells and whistles for your first. It's generally better to start simple, and upgrade the saber as your skills improve.
3. Watch your pocketbook. Not just on saber parts, but on tools as well. This isn't a cheap hobby, though it's not nearly as expensive as some others.
4. Play with the MHS builder http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php to get a feel for your design.
5. And above all, have fun while you're here!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I intend on reading constantly but no doubt I will still have some questions. I can't help I enjoy a challenge and like throwing my self in to something. I'm an electrician by trade and used to be a car panel beater and sprayer so I'm hoping my metal working and electrical skills will help me with this.

Darth Ryo
09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
It surely will ;)

Welcome, enjoy digesting all the info around here, and best of luck with your build!

AlaskaBat
09-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Welcome aboard!
Be prepared to open your wallet very wide in this hobby. Besides the obvious saber supplies, there are some special tools you'll need. Make sure to research those, too. A great place to start, are the sticky threads.