PDA

View Full Version : A blade question

xen999
09-08-2012, 06:01 PM
What kind of retail store would sell polycarbonate tubes? I don't really know what these tubes are normally used for, so I'm not sure where to look for it... I checked a local hardware store and the clerk didn't seem to know what I was talking about, he only could think of poly-B piping tubes which simply won't do. Do I need to look for a store specializing in plastic?

amwolf
09-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Let me think... a store... that sells polycarbonate tubes... hmmm... try here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-Thick-walled-Polycarbonate-40-long-P150.aspx

Zahc Zi Phan
09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Due to forum rules, no one can provide you with Information on where to get supplies if they are for sale on the TCSS website. Thought I'd let you know before someone less tactful chewed ya for it. However, I can say:

Poly carb tubes are somewhat hard to find, and very likely to cost you more elsewhere than here. Any cost you offset by finding them cheaper somewhere else will most likely be negated by the time you find the right film and tips (can't find saber blade tips at a hardware store) and etc. The stuff Tim sells here is really affordable compared to everywhere else. It's all already set up to work with a saber (if that's what you want it for) and can be cut to your specified length for only .50 extra. There's a good selection to choose from on the store.
-Zahc

xen999
09-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Let me think... a store... that sells polycarbonate tubes... hmmm... try here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-Thick-walled-Polycarbonate-40-long-P150.aspx

Very funny. I meant a store I could find locally, to avoid needing to order online... I have nothing against TCSS and normally I wouldn't mind buying stuff here, but I'm really short on time and I'm also not a US resident meaning shipping is fairly expensive (especially for unusual parcels size such a 40" tube...) making it not so worthwhile.

Due to forum rules, no one can provide you with Information on where to get supplies if they are for sale on the TCSS website. Thought I'd let you know before someone less tactful chewed ya for it. However, I can say:

Poly carb tubes are somewhat hard to find, and very likely to cost you more elsewhere than here. Any cost you offset by finding them cheaper somewhere else will most likely be negated by the time you find the right film and tips (can't find saber blade tips at a hardware store) and etc. The stuff Tim sells here is really affordable compared to everywhere else. It's all already set up to work with a saber (if that's what you want it for) and can be cut to your specified length for only .50 extra. There's a good selection to choose from on the store.
-Zahc

You misunderstand me. I'm not trying to perfectly replicate the kind of lightsaber and blade you would find here. So far, I've pretty much built everything from scratch using only hardware parts, substituting the kind of high quality parts you would find here with cheaper uglier parts (with the exception of all the electronics), but I'm quite content with what I have for the time being. The blade material is the only part that's been eluding me, and having being unable to find a proper substitute with similar proprieties that's more commonly found, I went back to the idea of using polycarb but can't locate any, hence my initial question. However I understand the rules are the rules (thanks for pointing that out btw), so thanks anyway.

Lucien Kane
09-09-2012, 12:22 AM
You aren't going to find many, if any materials with similar characteristics to polycarbonate. You definitely aren't going to find polycarbonate tubes with tips elsewhere, and the prices are going to be more than it would be for you to purchase them here.

I have researched a lot of the things that Tim sells here, (I'm poor I have to penny pinch) the fact of the matter is, Tim does a great service here, he runs a good business, and is able to sell things for a fair price. It's very difficult to beat Tim's prices. Unless you know someone in a certain field, or work in a certain field, you're better off eating the one time cost here than buying anywhere else.

Now if you're talking about buying bulk that's a different story, but as you said you just need it for this one project. You'll want to buy a blade here, you won't find better prices or a substitute material that will suffice for your applications. Once again, this is coming from someone who looks around for cheaper prices, Tim is the man with a plan.

ARKM
09-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I have never seen polycarbonate tubes in any store. You would have to find a plastics retailer which would be more of a warehouse type of place than a "normal" store. Often, those places only sell in bulk but some sell individual pieces. Obviously not every town is going to have a plastics retailer so good luck with your search. The yellow pages are your best bet.

Boj-Vaati Mau
09-09-2012, 05:12 PM
To the above Jedi, listen you must! A tale of woe, I have for you. In my local area, found the tubes of polycarbonate, I had. This did I, as the blade from TCSS, screwed up I did. The tip, unavailable it was, then fabricated one, I did from cabachon and disc. Worked, after a fashion, this blade did but looked as good, it did not. More time wasted, and aggravation induced, in this method there was! A case, for the quicker and more seductive route, this is! As an example of what not to do, I am!