PDA

View Full Version : How static-sensitive is the PETIT CROUTON...? I touched it...!!!

Zahc Zi Phan
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Hey y'all, most likely a dumb question. I talked to Erv at plecter, and he warned me to use an ESD safe station to solder the PC it because it's static sensitive. That makes me nervous, as I've touched it a couple of times. My question is straightforward:
For those who have experience with the petit, what are the chances that I've already fried it just by touching it!? I haven't touched it alot, but I've turned it over in my hands a few times. I was usually careful to hold it by the bundle of wires (pre-wired version from TCSS), but I know I've touched the board itself a few times...

Crystal Chambers
09-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Unless you've been doing doing the moonwalk in wool socks on shag carpet you should be ok. lol It is best to make sure you haven't built up a charge before touching it though. Touch something metal and you'll loose that charge. I'm not sure if this is the best way but I've done several PC installs with no issues.

If something does happen try to reformat your SD card first and most times it should fix any static issues since I hear the SD cards are the most sensitive part.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can back me up or add but I wanted to put your mind at ease over it.

Weaver
09-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Electrostatic discharge isn't usually a problem, but it can be. Crystal Chambers suggests a good method, in my opinion. I always touch a large metal object (one that is in contact with the floor) before handling any of my electronics components. I haven't had an ESD incident yet.

The ESD-safe soldering station is a good idea, still. We're talking about the difference between "probably not" frying your stuff, and "absolutely never" frying it.

Zahc Zi Phan
09-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Haha moonwalking on a shag carpet is my specialty tho!! I used to be the master of shocking people with static, so much so that I saw the spark jump an INCH once, and it FRIGGIN HURRTT. Haha. Aww. So no dancing like footloose right before soldering!? Lol.

I wired up some of the non-sensitive-to-static pieces today, and the whole thing works great. I'm going to wait for the ESD safe setup to get here before touching the board tho. Just in case.

Weaver
09-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Good on you for taking precautions. I have seen people do some mighty...uh...questionable...things in my day, fully believing at the time that it was ok to do. Humans seem to be creatures of one extreme or the other: Either they're cautious to the point of paranoia, or don't seem to care much at all. I believe in "usage of necessary force", so to speak.

It's all well and good to take precautions, but there is a point of diminishing return. As an example, I worked at a big-box retailler a while back. To clean up a tiny bottle of nail polish which had been dropped, these people wanted me in full chemical spill gear. We're talking face shield, elbow-length chem-resistant gloves, apron, etc, etc. They even had this...stuff...which is designed to soak it all up. Even after that, policy dictates that, because it's mildly flammable, that it has to go into this miniature bomb shelter they have rigged up in the back. It's nail polish, folks. It's not going to be a repeat of Nagasaki.

This all comes from people doing breathtakingly unwise things, of course. Policy is set, after the disaster passes, by people who assume that the task was just too difficult to complete without blowing the safety portion of it way out of proportion. This is why we have instructions on all our products. Have you ever thought it might be a good idea to blow dry your hair while you're still in a running shower? Not me.

A lot of this mess can all be avoided if people just do what's sane and logical, given the circumstances. Even the simple act of asking for help, if one does not understand or know what to do, is lost on a lot of people. If I see something I've never seen before, I look it up. Pretty simple task, now that we have the internet. Getting an idea of what you're dealing with before acting can save a lot of grief in the long-run. And, contrary to the safety regulations, each problem is unique and different, requiring its own solution. This is why I had to go in with HazMat to get nail polish off the floor. There are no catch-all answers.

With all that said, ESD-safe soldering stations are probably a very good idea. I got my Igniter wired up without one, but that's because I took necessary precautions (i.e. discharging by touching a metal surface, prior to handling the board). It's all a matter of finding out what's needed, rather than going in with full air support and artillery to back you up.