PDA

View Full Version : EL Blade

forum_jedi
09-06-2012, 08:46 AM
I wasn't really sure where to put this, so forgive me if this is the wrong place. It old have asked this question in the EL forum, but it does not look like it has been active in some time.

I found an EL saber hilt at a Flea market. It is very nice and got it for $25 dollars. However, it needs a blade. Are there any venders who are still selling 3/4 inch EL blades? A google search led me to a lot of sites that do not appear to be active any more. Or should I attempt to build my own?

Lord Dottore Matto
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
I think TCSS still has some. You can contact me for pointers as well.

forum_jedi
09-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks. I just received the last of my materials in the mail today. I will see how the construction goes before attempting a purchase through TCSS, just because it seems the sickness that most have on this site has infected me as well.

I also bought the materials to make my sone an LED saber out of PVC.

I appreciate the offer for the pointers; I am likely to need them.

forum_jedi
09-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Well, I screwed something up. I tested the EL wire after soldering it to the mono plug and it lit right up. I was very excited. I then folded the wire, inserted it into the the polyE, put the polyE into the polyC, secured the plug with the set screw, and inserted the blade into the hilt.

I then turned on the power, and the blade did not light up. Also, the EL wire in the hilt failed to light up as well. The switch still lights up nicely, and if I take the blade out provide power, I can see some lit up wire through the hole in the mono plug, but the rest of the wire is dark.

I guess I am going to dismantle the entire hilt and and the blade to try to figure out what the problem is. :(

shmoetech
09-22-2012, 03:20 PM
sorry dude...that sux.

forum_jedi
09-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I'll figure it out eventually. I need to get it done soon because I want to make three PVC sabers with LEDs before Halloween, so my kids and I will all have sabers. Time is getting short.

shmoetech
09-22-2012, 03:29 PM
well best of luck to you my friend...would try to help but don't know anything about EL wire.

forum_jedi
09-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I got it working! It looks awesome! I don't think I would duel with it; the blade feels rather fragile.

shmoetech
09-25-2012, 02:21 PM
and the pictures are?????

forum_jedi
09-25-2012, 02:32 PM

It's a little blurry.

shmoetech
09-25-2012, 02:47 PM
looks great! and even more impressed due to u looking like your only 8......lol just kidding

forum_jedi
09-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Good guess with the age. The kids were very surprised and excited. We will begin the PVC builds this weekend!

shmoetech
09-26-2012, 04:16 AM
and the addiction has begun....lol