PDA

View Full Version : "Parts I had Lying Around" The Qui-Bane

Darth Jared
09-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Hey guys! I just recently go interested in this whole saber-building thing again. So, I figured, I just go through all the things I left behind from the last time I built, and low and behold: MHS Parts! I saw I could fit the parts together into a Darth Bane/Qui Gon hybrid (mostly Darth Bane.) So, I have all of the MHS parts at the ready, I just need the electronics. What kind of saber will this be, you may ask. Nothing fancy. A simple direct drive saber. I have no choice but to hold off ordering the "innards" on Friday. So, you may also be asking, "Why posting this so early?" Well, the simple answer is, I need a little bit of advice. I painted the saber a plain matte black color, but I'm starting to think a metallic or "shiny" black will look better. So, that is the question I pose to all of you. Here's the saber:

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u441/DarthJared12/Qui-Bane/69100cc4.jpg Let me know what you guys think. I know. It's my saber and I should choose myself. But, I really want to get the advice of some more experienced saber smithin' mastas! Lol.
As far as the blade goes, it will remain purple. I feel purple is a neutral color. Bane had a purple saber. Mace had a purple saber. I can be a "good or bad" saber color, if we're being simplistic. And I feel that purple allows the user (me) to choose his (my) path, if you will. Let me know what you guys think! It would mean a lot!
====Darth Jared

Lucien Kane
09-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I am by no means a smithing master... but I would like to see a brass or copper, or even gold looking shroud on this.

Noyl Wendor
09-05-2012, 05:11 PM
:) Dude, I like that. very cool idea for a mix ;) Of course I am a Darth Bane fan as well as a Qui-gon fan. So I'm all about this hilt ;) From what I see you have a good start. The flat black gives it that older feel, and it balances well with the silver.
But, have you considered weathering it from what you have on it now? Maybe pretty cool to give it that "used and abused" look ;) Just a suggestion on my part. I actually have an extra Qui-style BH left, I may go this route myself. :)

Yoshi-Taka
09-05-2012, 05:41 PM
I agree with Lucien. Give it a nice electrum look to it and make it look regal.

Darth Jared
09-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Good suggestions, keep them coming! I really appreciate it. This is strictly a "what I have around the house saber." I want to do the shroud, but I don't have any sort of metal to forge it out of. I do, however, have some PVC. So, I'll probably use that and paint either a gold or copper color.
====Darth Jared

Crystal Chambers
09-06-2012, 04:43 AM
Nice...I love when spare part hilts turn out good. I'd go for some brass or copper in those emitter rings only. It would work great with purple, or most colours for that matter. If you decide to go with an overlay/shroud, which I don't think is needed then go metal with some 1.5 sinktube. I know you may not have it laying around but it's easier/cheaper then making another TCSS order and way cooler then plastic.

Darth Jared
09-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I respect your opinion Chambers. I really do. I wouldn't have asked for it if I didn't. But I REALLY got attached to the shroud idea, and I must say, it's looking good. But I did follow the gold ring idea. It looks good. As for the shroud, I did use the PVC, and it looks much better than what I expected. I'm guessing that once the saber is lit up, a tiny bit of the purple light will shine through the shroud and look really cool. Everything is almost done, and I'll post pictures of the nearly finished hilt when I'm done. I'm really excited for this saber, because it'll be my first custom saber. My first "brainchild" if you will. I've made sabers before, but they've been movie replicas. So, yeah, I'm very excited for this saber. Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming if you can think of any more. I really do appreciate any suggestion. Thanks!
====Darth Jared

Darth Jared
09-06-2012, 05:24 PM
**EDIT**
Well, I made the shroud, but, it just didn't look right to me. I thought it would look cool, but the blad holder just doesn't scream shroud to me. The rings of the blade holder are currently painted gold, but, I can't decide if copper would look better. I've always considered my self more of a Sith, and I think copper speaks Jedi to me, at least, so they'll probably stay gold. But, the blade SHALL remain purple. That's the only constant here. Thoughts?
====Darth Jared

Crystal Chambers
09-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Maybe stripe the bare aluminum parts on either ends of you ribbed sections somewhat like your center piece. They look a little bare. I don't think this saber needs much to finish it. It's just a matter of finding that certain something.

Darth Jared
09-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I was thinking that myself. I think copper would look good.

Darth Jared
09-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Well, here's what I have now.
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u441/DarthJared12/Qui-Bane/277b0c4d.jpg
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u441/DarthJared12/Qui-Bane/e8c08ae6.jpg
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u441/DarthJared12/Qui-Bane/83b894c1.jpg

As I said before, I put the shroud on, and it just doesn't look "right." I'm still open to suggestions, but I'm REALLY happy with how this saber looks now. Let me know what you think!
====Darth Jared

Lucien Kane
09-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm really partial to copper/brass shrouds or undertones. I think they give a very cool Old Republic look to a saber, and I think with this particular color scheme it will go perfectly. Maybe a minimalistic shroud... Something that doesn't cover much. I dunno I'm starting to ramble.

Besides I'm biased anyways lol!

Zahc Zi Phan
09-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Sweet dude. I like!

Darth Jared
09-12-2012, 02:35 PM
**UPDATE**
Parts shipped yesterday, expected delivery is tomorrow. Stay tuned.
====Darth Jared

Darth Jared
09-14-2012, 03:10 PM
**UPDATE**
The parts arrived today. I had tim to make the blade, but won't have time to wire up the saber tonight. I tested the blade in a operating saber, and I must say, this is EASILY the most evenly lit blade I've ever made. I'll post pics later!
====Darth Jared.

Darth Jared
09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Hey guys! Sorry for the delay. I've had a very busy last few days. The saber is done and all, I just don't have time today to take and upload pics. I will, tomorrow, though. I promise.
====Darth Jared