PDA

View Full Version : Xene's Bellicose rebuild (codename libertion of justice)

Xene
09-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Just to make this clear to any mods who may have an itchy delete button finger~I have cleared this with Strydur (Tim) and he did say I could post this~

Anyways this is a complete rebuild of a Bellicose purchased from another site that I accidently fried..
After said frying occured I decided to not just replace what was there but to completely overhaul the saber, inside and out :D I began by buying some parts from a local electronics store (A selection of LEDs,a bar graph LED and a illuminated switch (I realised later they were cheaper on TCSS XD))~

After which I did purchase the following from TCSS:

-Petie Crouton
-2 watt Bass speaker
-Speaker holder 4
-a selection of chassis disks and rods

I apolagise that I cant post pics right this minute (on Library internet) but I will as soon as I can ^^

As for the outside of the saber Ive already had the entire thing sandblasted, am adding a homemade PLI and a second switch as well as maybe some cutouts~

Pics added ^^ I apolagise for the dodgy phone quality~ they are of the saber hilt before, the old (fried) electronics, some of the new electronics (waiting on shipping from TCSS ^^) and the saber as it currently stands

koko kama
09-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Lookin good!

kinda reminds me of a Force unleashed 2 starkiller saber minus the wrappings.

Ty_Bomber
09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Wow, when you said stripped down you really meant it.

It does look like a starkiller promo (I am almost certain that that was the manufacturer intended) but I like the media blasted look. What are your thoughts on sound fonts and color schemes?

Great work so far, by the way. Retrofitting a saber is a great way to get into this hobby. I should know.

Xene
09-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Yup ^^

And Im not totally sure on sound fonts as of yet, the PC I ordered comes with light meat so ill stick with that for a while~may even try doing my own (doubtable XD)~as for colout Im currently going for a warm white, but since the cool white version of the LED Im gonna use can be driven brighter Im probably gonna use that when I can be bothered to buy it :D

And thanks~I hope it works XD

Xene
09-09-2012, 04:26 PM
@Koko Karma~Thanks :) I may be leather wrapping the bottem when Im done to see if it looks good ;D

Starwinder
09-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Awesome project idea! I was definitely tempted to purchase that same saber before finding my way here. Definitely an "inspired by" design of Starkiller's TFU2 promo sabers (which i prefer over the ones that actually made it into the game).
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Xene
09-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the support everyone ^^

Anywho the parts from TCSS arrived yesterday :D thank you Tim ^^ (and express postage XD)

and here they are :D (swell some of them XD)
TCSS parts
All parts together~
The selection of chassis disks and speaker holder
the two illuminated switches :D one latching DPDT the other momentery SPST(I think~)(does this combo mean I wont get lockup??)

Xene
09-11-2012, 04:39 PM
And the rest ^^

The speaker!!
hopefully what will become a PLI~
Experimental LED only 10mm wide bu apperantly the same lumen level as a SeoulP4
And the Petite Crouton!!!! :D

Sooo excited to begin :D

Ty_Bomber
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Very cool. Good luck with that led, experimenting is always fun.

Zzan
09-12-2012, 09:38 AM
the two illuminated switches :D one latching DPDT the other momentery SPST(I think~)(does this combo mean I wont get lockup??)

For the PC the main power can be either latching or momentary and controls the saber power on/power off
The aux switch must be momentary and controls lockup, blaster block.

You should be fine with your setup as long as you set the setting in the config for the main switch to be latching.

The only thing you would probably not want to enable would be APOP which makes it so that you need to press both buttons to power the saber off to prevent accidental power offs with a momentary main switch.

Xene
09-12-2012, 04:14 PM
That was extermely helpfulZzan ^^ I will have to remember to do that~
Actually on the note of the PC can it be used to drivea PLI?? I know Igniters can~If not Ill have to figure how to wire up mine~

Zzan
09-13-2012, 07:18 AM
The igniter has has 8 or 9 accent led pads which can be set to function as a PLI (you don't have to use all of them - it's configurable.) The PC has 2 accent LED pads, and the way they function is also configurable, but I don't remember seeing a PLI option, wouldn't be much of a PLI with only 2 LEDs though. Two very different sound cards, and in the case of the igniter you aren't technically "using" a PLI you are emulating one with accent LED's.

If you already have the PLI, you can wire it according to it's instructions to the power supply, not to the PC. The PC won't stop you from using a PLI, it just doesn't have one, or the ability to emulate one built in.

Xene
09-13-2012, 04:38 PM
I thought that may be the case ^^ (and mine didnt come with instructions XD or even mush in the way of specifications~so im gonna have to talk to the guy at the store I got it from about resistors ect~)And thanks for the info on the switches ^^

Xene
11-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Update ^^ finally have the switch holes and window cut out :D cleaning them up today ^^

Xene
12-13-2012, 02:32 AM
update with pics :D

sorry about the delay in posting everyone, been hetic the last few weeks ^//^

heres what it looked like after i dremeled out a window and drilled a switch hole, kinda rough ^^

after cleaning up the edges

after wet and drying the whole saber to get rid of the dings and scratches of my first dremeling attempt ^^ with buttons and led bar graph in ^^

close up of it ^^

how im going to hold the bar graph in place with the led

Xene
12-13-2012, 02:36 AM
and weathering!:D i really like how it turned out, i origionally was going for a well looked after look, but i lokied where it was going with the emitter scorches so much i decided to make it look as if itd been picked up off the battlefeild XD

any thoughts/critisims welcome ^^

shmoetech
12-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Lookin good Xene....really diggin your chassis for the PLI.

Starwinder
12-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Lookin great so far Xene! Definitely agree with you on the emitter weathering.

Darth Ryo
12-13-2012, 09:10 AM
+1 on the weathering!
And that bar graph chassis is inspiring, nice work :)

Xene
12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone ^^

@Starwinder-if you think thats good wait till you see the pommel ;D (though Ill see if I can get a better camera first~)
@schmoetech and Darth Ryo-I took a while to figure how I was gonna fit in a heatsink with it, but paitence paid off I think ^^

also to anyones who may be curious on how I did the weathering, i just used the drybrushing technique using a Tamyia (I think thats how its spelt) enamal paint called smoke, its a nick semi transparent grey that works well on aluminum as you need a few coats before it darkes a lot, and a little scorching using a lighter ^^

Ty_Bomber
12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Wow. This is turning out to be a really impressive build. The placement of the second switch is sharp, the use of chassis disks was smart, and the weathering has that perfect "gently used look to it. All around well done. Can't wait to see it all done.

Xene
01-05-2013, 12:48 AM
update~

due to a damaged switch i am no longr using 2 iluminated switches, but it will be replaced with a red actuating switch, also for reasons unknown the circut i was using for the pli was poodoo and so im just hooking up a blue blinky led. and im no longer using the chassis disks to hold the soundcard in as i need the space for cram foo~

Xene
02-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Finally almost finished :D soo happy/relieved

anyways here are some shots of the almost finished saber~(just waiting on new speaker)

Xene
02-05-2013, 05:41 PM

never again will I modify an ultrasaber XD

Hope youse like ^^