PDA

View Full Version : Neutrino wiring check

Kaide
08-25-2012, 02:40 PM
7531Could some one take a look at this diagram & let me know if I got somthing wrong? This is the first time I have tried to wire one of these novasound neutrino boards.

mrknify
08-25-2012, 03:43 PM
aaahhh the colours!! lol...

Noyl Wendor
08-26-2012, 01:19 AM
looks good, just remember your resistors for the AV switch and crystal chamber LED's ;).
Also mind how you "tweek" your settings for the main LED on the neutrino. The main LED can be pretty bright, and the extra load from the 7.4 power solution can sometimes heat up the board. Of course this is personal experience from one board of this type, one time out of 5 :)
Other wise nice set up.

Darth Xusia
08-26-2012, 06:55 AM
The recharge port doesn't look correct. You have both positives going to the board.

Noyl Wendor
08-26-2012, 10:39 AM
The recharge port doesn't look correct. You have both positives going to the board.

^ Yep DX is correct :) (@ DX nice catch :))
here's a little somthin somthin for recharge hook up
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?2235-Recharge-port-hookup
3 "pins" on the recharge port. 1 goes for board "neg" (left pin) one for battery "neg" (lower pin, middle) and one for battery and board "pos" (right pin).

TrypWyr
08-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Also this: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?14572-JediMasterTim-s-Wiring-Diagram&p=213165#post213165

Best diagram for recharge ports, IMO. Pretty to look at too... ;)

Noyl Wendor
08-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Also this: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?14572-JediMasterTim-s-Wiring-Diagram&p=213165#post213165

Best diagram for recharge ports, IMO. Pretty to look at too... ;)
Nice :) I'll mark this one as well ;)

Arryck Corso
08-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Pretty to look at too... ;)

Good call TrypWyr. I love sloth's drawings. They're amazing.

Kaide
08-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Just an update...got the parts in today from Tim.

& thanks to your help got it all wired & seems to work. The AV switch needs a resister on this set up, but the Crystal chamber LED does not seem to need one.

Noyl Wendor
08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Cool. If you have pics of the board...and saber it goes in I would very much like to see them :)

Kaide
09-03-2012, 08:23 AM
sure, i'll make a post once i finish the saber. Still waiting on the switch, the LED was not working on delivery so i had to get a new one. Also my plans for the chassis didnt work out, so i rigged one up from the blade of a toy lightsaber i had...so its not that pretty :-P

Anyway, its called The Duelist

Yoshi-Taka
09-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm an avid fan of the Neutrino.

Kaide
09-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Well, not sure if that will be possible now...The Saber was looking great and working amazingly well. But out of the blue, a day before i was planning to ship out the saber, the neutrino board apparently failed. They made a loud double beep sound then would not turn on again after that. The board is still getting power, i can feel it heating up. All the peripherals work after testing (speaker, led, etc.). The main LED will even still turn on and even has the blade shimer effect still. But no sound and after 3 seconds it does the beep thing again and turns off.

Btw, this is the second neutrino that has done this to me. The first one was simply a battery, a switch, one LED, and the speaker....nothing fancy at all. I has assumed that I burned it out while solduring it.

So quick review, dont bother with the Neutrino...wait for the Nano Biscotti from TCSS or just get the PC2.0

Kaide
09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
None the less, here are some pics before the board failed.

The damage to the shroud on the crystal chamber is intentional. The person im making this for wanted it to look cared for, but well used.

Yoshi-Taka
09-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I've used the Neutrino very successfully twice, without incident. What batteries did you use? You probably cooked the board. As far as I remember the specs, it's only rated to go up to 7.2v max so if you used a 7.4v li-ion pack, you probably fried the board(s). I use 4AA NiMH with the Neutrino and have zero problems. I haven't tried li-ion batteries with it yet, but I know what works well so far.

That said, I'm looking forward to the Nano Biscotte, whenever we get it, but the Neutrino is still a great board.

Kaide
09-06-2012, 08:22 PM
The first one was just 4AAA (6v)...The second was 2 trustfires (7.4). Odly enough the 7.4 lasted longer

Yoshi-Taka
09-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I've been running mine at 4.8 and I've had no problem. How long did the boards last? It's possible you got some faulty boards or something with the soldering, idk.

Kaide
09-06-2012, 09:10 PM
The first one with the 4 AAAs failed in seconds after first boot up. The 2nd one ran off and on for about 2 days, over all run time no more then 20 min total.

Kaide
09-06-2012, 09:15 PM
As for over powering the board....that should not have been the issue. Nova Conseptions puts a max of 9v for it & recomended from 4 to 7.6v. Here is a copy/paste from their stats page for the board

Power In (VIN Recommended): 4.0V to 7.6 V @ 1.5A (MAX LED).

Power In (VIN Absolute Minimum): 2.6V (May be insufficient for certain LEDs)

Power In (VIN Absolute Max): 9.0V

Yoshi-Taka
09-06-2012, 09:17 PM
That's odd. I'd talk to whomever you got them from. I've had zero problem with my Neutrinos. My bet is faulty boards.

Kaide
09-06-2012, 09:22 PM
I got these from their official ebay listing. Where did you get yours from?

Kaide
09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
hum...i wonder if it was the LED av switch that did it...i used the diagram i posted at the top of this thread on both to wire the LED in the switch. The only difference is insted of wiring the LED in the av switch to the battery directly, i wired it to the + - Battery pads on the Neutrino

Can any of you wiring gurues take a look at it and let me know if this might be the cause?

Kaide
09-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Here is a terrible diagram i drew up real quick of how i ended up wireing it

Noyl Wendor
09-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Well I'm not a wiring guru, but I have done a couple of neutrino boards.
So I must ask, what LED (for the blade?) are you using? The boards I've worked with before were also rated to 9v. So there should not be too much of an issue, but as I said previous its possible the board won't take that sort of juice.
One more really important Q, what setting did you have your LED "intensity" set at? Depending on the setting, and what LED you are using that could possibly make a difference in how hot the board gets.
BTW, I dig the hilt :) very cool. I'm not much on curved hilts myself. But when I see a nice one, I do comment on it ;) well done.

Kaide
09-06-2012, 10:10 PM
I used a green lux rebel sold in the TCSS store, and i had the intensity set to 3 or 4 i believe (cant tell now b/c the menu wont boot either).

Thanks for the complements!!

This is my first curved hilt and took alot to figure out how to pull it off. Used a Rainbow vacume wand and attached it to 1.25 MHS adaptors. Then put some rubber rings on it about 1" apart & dipped the entire thing into Plasti-dip. The adaptors work, but were an extreamly tight fit that took some filing and a little bit of hammering to get them in.

Lucien Kane
09-06-2012, 10:15 PM
what kind of speaker were you using?

Also amazing hilt sir I love it!

Kaide
09-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Here are a few more pics, showing the curved handle, the trigger grip, and some of the "battle" damage

Kaide
09-06-2012, 10:20 PM
what kind of speaker were you using?

Also amazing hilt sir I love it!

2w bass speaker
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/2w-bass-speaker-P662.aspx

Lucien Kane
09-06-2012, 10:22 PM
That might be your problem as well as I believe the card is only rated for a 1.5w speaker, I'm not sure that would elicit such a response though.

Noyl Wendor
09-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Hmm...I do think that it (the board) may have been too overpowered. Have you tried stripping the board down and setting it back up with a lower forward voltage and no extras?
Or is the board a complete "no-go"?

Kaide
09-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I have not tried stripping the board yet. It starts for 3 seconds w/out sound then shuts off. The blade still lights up w/ shimmer effect still during that 3 seconds

Its late now, but i will try it this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.

Noyl Wendor
09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
:) cool, I would like to know what happens.

Starwinder
09-07-2012, 07:46 AM
That might be your problem as well as I believe the card is only rated for a 1.5w speaker, I'm not sure that would elicit such a response though.

That's correct. 1.5w speaker is the max for the board. That's the official word anyway. Not sure if that's the source of your problems but hope it helps if you do decide to start over.
Great hilt btw!

Kaide
09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the complements!

Too late for me to Change it now. Tried booting it without the speaker plugged in & same issue with it not booting up fully. I had assumed the FVolt of the speaker pad being 1.5 just ment that the 2w speaker would just not work as well as it could.

AlaskaBat
09-08-2012, 12:57 AM

That's not going to affect it at all.
You can have a 10w rated speaker on there if you can find one small enough. All that 1.5w means, is that the built-in audio amp on the board puts out roughly 1.5w RMS. A 2w speaker is ABOVE the rated wattage, so there will be no damage to the cone. Besides--the problem is not a blown speaker anyway.

Kaide
09-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Thats what i was thinking Alaskabat. Only thing i can think, is that the board must have shorted out. Maybe it was not secure enough inside the hilt or somthing. Now that i think about it, both board crashed right after testing the clash sensor (whacking it against the couch)

madmaxx
09-08-2012, 05:18 PM
i have used 4 novasound boards and 1 neutrino now and i have had 1 of the 3.0's turn up faulty(im in australia) so it could be the board.In my case the main LED wasnt working period and after afew wiring and multi meter tests i worked out that it was the board so i just ordered a new one beacuse i had it for afew months before i used it so no refund i figured....i am about to try and hook up a 10w gggg led to a neutrino board this week some time so i will let you know if it works properly but as for speakers.. i cant help you on that. I would say if you can buy another one and chalk this up to experience

Kaide
09-08-2012, 08:30 PM
ya, i just went ahead and ordered a PC... still waiting to hear back from novaconceptions.

Lucien Kane
09-08-2012, 10:22 PM
That's not going to affect it at all.
You can have a 10w rated speaker on there if you can find one small enough. All that 1.5w means, is that the built-in audio amp on the board puts out roughly 1.5w RMS. A 2w speaker is ABOVE the rated wattage, so there will be no damage to the cone. Besides--the problem is not a blown speaker anyway.

Makes sense to me... I appreciate you clearing that up. I was curious about that. I just figured since it was the only thing out of the ordinary it might be the issue. I'm the type though if something goes wrong with a product I always assume that I did something wrong first, and only after exhausting every possible means do I consider a faulty product, but I break everything lol.

Anywho thanks again for shedding some light onto that situation for me, I was confused about that anyways, I used a 1.5W speaker in my Neutrino build and I thought the speaker was overpowered by the sound the card was dishing out. So on my next build I'll be using a 2w speaker.