PDA

View Full Version : PVC & Oak Lightsaber Pike

captain_mills
08-16-2012, 08:17 PM
I decided to start a new thread instead of jumping into the last one I had, since they are, in essence, different. My thread about saber pikes and some basic questions is located here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?14709-MHS-and-a-staff-saber-Questions-prior-to-build

Anyway, I spent about $15 on supplies at the LHS and put together this saber pike for my 13 yo son. It measures a total of 56 inches from tip to tail, and will feature a 24-inch (26-inch total with 2 inches sunk into the blade holder) blade I'll purchase from TCSS. Since it's just PVC and is not made to last forever, I will pick up an Obi-Wan or Mace electronic lightsaber from Wally World for the econo soundboard. I wired up my first saber last year with one of these econo boards and I was pleased with the outcome. My son wants an amber blade, so I'll stick with the LEDs from the econo board and stick in an amber disc I got last year from TCSS... When I feel I want to put together the ultimate saber, I'll look to getting a better quality soundboard. In the mean time, I have the main frame done, and the pics are below.

Pic #1 - The whole saber together, 56" in length, 1" and 1 1/4" pvc, a 1" oak dowel, and a simple sinktube shroud.
Pic #2 - The blade holder, with the shroud, and an 8" section of 1 1/4" pvc for the electronics.
Pic #3 - The grips, made of 1" pvc with the 36" oak dowel running up the length for strength.
Pic #4 - The end, mostly for decoration, made to look like it matches the blade end, with 1" and 1 1/4" pvc.

The pieces of PVC are secured to the oak dowel and to each other with 8-32 x 1/2" hex head screws. I used a 9/64" drill bit for the threads and a 3/8" drill bit to sink the heads. The screws can be seen but sit relatively flush with the pvc. I stuck the TCSS blade into this saber's blade holder to insure a snug fit, and it works perfectly (the ID of the 1" pvc matches with the OD of the thick walled blades). I'll be doing black and aluminum paint for the saber, and will post pics as I finish the paint and the electronics...

comments, questions, and crits are welcome, as usual! :)

madmaxx
08-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Nice Captain.It will look great when its done.Keep us posted