PDA

View Full Version : Dim and blotchy :(

Mobius
08-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I an working on a Jedi costume for the 501st legion. I chose to go with the Luke ANH with removable blade but I am disappointed in the blade luminosity and uniformity. I once had an Anakin and I remember the blade being bright, uniform, and even having a better scrolling effect. Here is a pic I took this morning in mild lighting (its the only way I could get the blotchyness to show)
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x121/krhurrl/c86abb58.jpg
Does anyone happen to have one or two known good anakin led strips they can part with and know if it would work to direct swap?

I don't want to do the lux conversion because I want to keep the scrolling effect but I want the blade to look better than it does now.

Thanks

Evilpancreas
08-05-2012, 08:56 PM
You can check out one of makotsai's ( I think that's how his name is written) tutorials on making a much brighter LED strip.

Mobius
08-05-2012, 09:39 PM
I may consider that in the future but at the moment funds are tighter than usual and considering this board hosts many many folks that have converted many a saber I figured I could find at last one here that was unwanted or unused.

Thanks

FenderBender
08-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Check out FX-SABERS forums for converted sabers for sale. You won't find them here.

However, if you're patient, you can take that blade apart and desolder and bridge the resistor pads on all of the LEDs. This will increase brightness by about 30% or more. Though your battery life will suffer.

One question: You're making a "Jedi" costume for the 501st? Or is it the 'newly' formed Sith Anakin?

Mobius
08-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I should specify I am not looking to buy a converted saber... I have done conversions before and am familiar with how to do it. I wish to keep the multi led and scrolling effect. I am only looking for one or two bare led strips that folks have removed from sabers that they converted and no longer have any use for to try to replace the dim and blotchy strip that came factory in mine.

On the topic of costumes... I have considered doing Sith anakin but I don't have enough hair and don't really want to shave my beard and mustache. So I'm doing a basic Jedi for the rebel legion.

Evilpancreas
08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah don't ever at any point shave off a beard or mustache. Jedi code man.

shmoetech
08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Or sideburns, long live Elivs Jedi's.......

Jordandau
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
It could possibly be your batteries. Change 'em out for ALL brand new ALL one brand batteries. The better (more $$) kind the better they'll fare.

Mobius
08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
I've been using rechargeable aaa nimh batteries... They are Duracell 1000 mah and have seemed pretty solid so far. Do you think I should use something different?

Silver Serpent
08-07-2012, 05:03 AM
NiMH batteries are only 1.2v each. I believe those sabers were designed to run on alkalines @ 1.5v each. Try some ordinary alkaline batteries and see if that solves your issue.

Mobius
08-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Will do... thanks for the heads up!

Mobius
08-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Tried new batts and it seems about the same. I was really hoping that would rectify the issue.