PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Sabers

clahey83
08-02-2012, 09:48 AM
i was hoping to get some feedback on a couple of saber builds im hoping to be able to build by christmas for my brothers.

both builds will have the short nickle-plated AV momentary switch, speaker mount V3, 2 AA batt holder to hole 2 trustfire 2400mAh batteries, a 2W bass speaker, white P4 (and colored disks so my brothers can pick their own colors lol) and economy hasbro qui-gon sound boards.

im REALLY hoping that the sound boards will fit onto the top of the AA battery holder because that will help with making sure i have enough space in the hilts.

if you guys have any ideas or comments let me know! whenever i get stuff in to start building i will make sure to post pics

Silver Serpent
08-02-2012, 10:00 AM
The only 2400 mAh batteries I see in the store are 18650 sized. Those will not fit in the AA battery holder. You want the 14500 sized batteries for that holder. Fortunately, with the P4 white, you won't run into any current issues with the 14500s.

Off the top of my head, I don't think the econo qui-gon will have any trouble fitting on top of that pack. You should be good in that respect.

clahey83
08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
thanks! youre a lifesaver lol

Johannes Huber
08-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi!,

One thing you may want to check is whether the 7.4 volts generated by the dual Li-Ion batteries will be ok with the econo boards. I know from peronal experience they seem to be ok with 6 volts from 4 AA or 4AAA batteries (I've been using the Vader MR cards this way), and I'm told they will run on a single 3.7 Volt 18650 (Am in process of trying this), but I recall someone mentioning that 7.4 volts might be too much for the card (unless a resistor is used). You might check with one of the economy card experts on the board just to make sure.

Silver Serpent
08-03-2012, 07:49 AM
You use a 5v regulator with the 7.4v packs and the econo boards. They're shown in the wiring diagrams in the following thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial

clahey83
08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
oh im already all over that lol. im an electronics student at ITT Tech

clahey83
08-15-2012, 05:58 AM
sorry for the double post. my last post WAS a couple fo weeks ago and i have a lot of new ideas that i would like feedback on

ok, so i have completely re-designed the sabers im building my brothers for christmas. im hoping to put nano biscottes in them assuming i can afford them by christmas (and we are still waiting for their release). they are both each going to get a 18650. they both are ALSO getting RGB tri-rebels. i decided i will put a 3-position slider switch somewhere on the chassis that is easily accesable so they can switch between the 3 colors on the RGB (that is why i decided to go with a kill key. its to prevent damage to the sound board when switching colors) i will still be including a set of color filters with each saber too just in case they still want to mix colors, and because they are rediculously cheap. i fully realise that there is NO need for an aux switch with the NB boards. those are being installed to make upgradability in the future an option (future christmas presents lol)

if you see any comments or concerns let me know!

on a different topic i posted on the thread for my first build that i planned to start upgrading and changing the look soon. i still plan on doing so, but i want to do what i can to finish these 2 sabers first... and like most of the rest of us, funding is the main thing slowing me down. i have decided on how i will rebuild it though and have picked a name. there will be MAJOR upgrades and i think you guys will like the end result. i will take lots of pics of everything in the process of the upgrade and will post a semi- build log when everything is done

*edit* another idea i have the each sabers setup is to get an LEDengin RGBA and a seperate flash driver for a flash on clash effect. the flash driver will be wired into that amber die. also im keeping my eye out for a rotary switch small enough to mount onto the body of a saber. if ive read up on the NB properly i just have to resistor the die properly between the switch and each die and i should be able to enable these sabers to change flors on the fly! this would be possible (from waht i understand) because the NB does not have any voltage controller like the CS and PC boards do.

Darth Nater
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Might try and find pics of some similar builds on getting switches over ribbed or fluted sections to come off clean. I dont have any advice, just something I noticed on the pic there that caught my attention.