PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Mount Question.

Darth Derg
07-31-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm looking at doing the attached build and I was wondering if I would be able to mount the speaker behind the sound holes in the pommel with or without a tcss speaker mount, or if I Would need to incorporate it into my chassis. I'm asking because I can shorten the grip section and save a little space and cash for the rest of my build.

Thanks

Darth Derg

amwolf
07-31-2012, 04:43 AM
If you were using a V2 mount between the pommel and the choke, you'd have to heavily modify the V2 because of the internal shape of the choke - basically cut it off behind the thick section so it would still lock into place. It'd be independant of your chassis because of the choke unless you integrate the choke into the chassis. Or Put the speaker in the grip area and use the choke/pommel as a long resonance chamber... That pommel has predrilled holes to let the sound out.

Darth Derg
07-31-2012, 10:29 AM
That's what I figured. I'd have to make my own mount, or modify a V2 or V4...The V4 looks even bigger than the v2, but the images are a little hard to tell with small items sometimes. I'm really hoping to shorten the grip section by putting the speaker near the pommel and use the choke as a rear resonance chamber ala a speaker cabinet. I'm also thinking about possibly using the sound holes as an outlet for light and mount a matching colored accent in the center of the pommel. I've thrown more designs around in the last 5 years since I first found TCSS than I know what to do with. But I can never seem to love one enough to buy all the parts lol. This rear choke idea has been a stable on again off again part in my designs. I'm hoping to finalize my design and order all the parts right after my wedding in September. I think a PC2.0 loaded saber will make a nice wedding present to myself :D

Evilpancreas
07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
I put the speaker really close to the pommel and it is VERY loud. I only use a chassis to hold the soundcard; for nothing else. Keep in mind that a resonance chamber doesn't have to be that large. Good luck with the wedding!

Darth Derg
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
The resonance chamber in the choke is just kind of a fringe benefit. I'm thinking the choke in that position will be more comfortable for me. I've always known that MHS was for me, She's got her eyes set on a Dominix V3 LE, and outside of having one custom machined, she can only get that style with that length from one place. I think I can convert her for her second saber, but she's dead set on that dominix. Kinda like she's dead set on me lol.

If I use a cut off V2 speaker mount, or a piece of 1.25" PVC I should be good to mount the speaker in the pommel and keep my grip shorter? an 8" Section seems a bit long, I was thinking if the speaker's not in the grip I could take a page from a few other playbooks I've seen and do a Tsuba on the saber, like this one:7404

EDIT::: Another question that's popped into my brain, If an av switch is mounted in say, activation box style 2, would there be clearance under part or all of the components for a battery to sit? Wondering if an 18650 stick pack will work.

Jay-gon Jinn
07-31-2012, 11:13 PM
you can make a speaker mount out of pvc, I've done it a few times myself. I used 1" electrical conduit pvc. It is measured for it's size by the I.D. rather than the O.D., and the 1" will fit right inside the female threaded portion of the MHS parts:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Chrome%20Saber%20X/100_8893.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Chrome%20Saber%20X/100_8895.jpg

As far as whether or not an 18650 will fit under the box style 2 types of activation boxes, I'd have to say no, at least not without some modifications...I have a saber on my workbench right now that will barely fit the 14500 side-by-side pack underneath that box, even with the short style AV switch. The recharge port tabs are in the way, but I would guess if you were to shorten them (or bend them enough) an 18650 might fit underneath.

Darth Derg
08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
7408Thanks Jay! I've seen you give advice countless times since I joined this forum about 5 years ago, and yet again you hit the nail squarely on the head. I was figuring I'd have to make a ring to mount it in out of PVC, I was even thinking Conduit piping would be suitable. I'm also considering with the space limitations I'm looking at with an 18650 stick pack( I can find 3-3.2 Ah 18650s, but can't figure a way that 14650 could be put into a saber and beat the 18000 series batteries even slightly for either size or capacity. I'm wanting a decent runtime since I'll be coming out swingin a 10W LEDengin Deep Red Single Color with FoC.

I believe I'm gonna be looking into mounting my aux switch 20 in the Tsuba to save a little space, and maybe mount the recharge in the end of the chassis since it won't be terminated at the speaker the saber'll just come apart at the choke....Gotta love MHS!

Man, My Scottish heritage is showing with the shape of this saber.The looon handle's gonna give it a Claymore look.

EDIT::: New design with more speaker room and the 18650s in the choke, would this arrangement work? Also, 2 prospective(Squared and rounded) Blades I'm working on out of Aluminum Flat Stock.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-02-2012, 09:16 AM
That would definitely allow the 18650 stick pack to fit, even if it was partially in the gear extension. It probably wouldn't affect the resonance of the speaker too much...the saber I posted above has nearly zero space behind it for a "resonance" chamber and it's plenty loud enough. With the pvc ring method, or if you decide to forgo that for a TCSS speaker mount (you'll have room for one with the gear piece), the entire hilt becomes the resonance chamber for the speaker. I usually drill and "back-vent" the MHS mounts just for this reason, and I can tell you it does make a difference in the volume and tone of the saber.

Darth Derg
08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Would that be a v2 or a v4 speaker mount? I'm almost decided on a shroud design and the parts to make it happen the second order I do will be for the rest of the guts and sound.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Would that be a v2 or a v4 speaker mount? I'm almost decided on a shroud design and the parts to make it happen the second order I do will be for the rest of the guts and sound.I think both would fit just fine....is go with the v4 and the high bass speaker.

Darth Derg
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd prefer the V4, Coming from someone who flaps his pants with 1200Watts and 4 10inch speakers on a regular bassis(t) lol The bass speaker seems more up my alley. That and it looks like a speaker rather than some sort of black hole/singularity. My only other nagging quiery is what the length of the area between tsuba and choke section should be in order to accomodate my 2x18650 pack Petit Crouton AV switch and recharge port. I'm gonna try and mount the Switch 20 in the Grenade extension but I'm having trouble visualizing how to do it the way my brain is telling me would work best. I'd love to have it mounted inline with the AV switch on the high point of the grenade with only the black actuator sticking out.

EDIT::: just realized with 7" of grip and activation box 9 as close to one end as possible I should have part of the narrow inside of the choke to supplement the resonance chamber. I could possibly get away with 6" i think, but the res chamber will be shorted. I think it'll be loud enough that way, if not I can always bore out the holes a little. The bright side is with the batteries in the choke, it should seal airtight and give the speaker a nice body of air to press against. I love a low sithy sound, and sealed enclosures usually turn out good on the low end :D This should be a fun first build