PDA

View Full Version : 2W Bass Speaker question

Darth Noir
07-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Does it wire like the regular premium speaker sold on the store? Also what are the dimensions to it. Couldn't find a post solely about these two questions.

Kevin Starwaster
07-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I have both of them but only wired the 2W. They wire the same though, there is no - / +; no polarity to either the speakers or the speaker pads.

Dimension wise, the 2W seemed to me to be just a wee bit wider but their listed dimensions are the same. Might be because the 2W speaker I bought was in the bargain basement section as it had a mild defect, I dunno. (their dimensions ARE listed in their store descriptions so you should look more carefully next time ;) )

174fps
07-20-2012, 04:43 PM
The 2w bass speaker I have does list polarity on the magnet. For the premium speaker, I use a PV battery and touch the terminals and see which direction the speaker moves. If it goes out, then the speaker is in phase, if it goes inward, the polarity is reversed

Evilpancreas
07-20-2012, 05:59 PM
I wired one up without paying any attention to the polarity. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

174fps
07-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Like any speaker out there, it will work just fine whether wired correctly or wired backwards. If wired backwards however, phase/soundstage/spectral balance etc will be completly out of alignment. Volume will suffer, long with the ability to properly hit intended frequencies, especially those less than 250 Hz. For what we do (with small size and small powered drivers) you are not likely to see much of a difference, but I used to compete in sound quality with car audio, so things like signal phase/polarity bug the crap out of me if not done right, and yes, I can tell.

Silver Serpent
07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
It's a big issue if you have two speakers out of phase with each other. With just one speaker, you're not going to notice a difference.