PDA

View Full Version : First saber, did i miss anything?

professorcake
07-13-2012, 08:08 AM
My order...

1" Thick walled Trans White PolyC 40" long (36 inches +$0.50)
40" LED blade diffuser for 1" thick walled blades
7" Fluted with guarded style switch hole
POM3 Pommel style 3
Screw on LED blade holder style 4
Shouldered 1" thick walled blade tip with reflective disc
8-32 x 3/8" Set Screw
BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire
RSLM Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module
Luxeon Rebel Star (Green)
SPST Latching Guarded switch with silver button

Think ive got everything i need here, already have plenty of various voltage/sized lipo batteries from RC hobby, I know I have to drill/tap the blade holder, anything else im missing?

What do you guys think? Will it be easy to see in a normally lit room?

Thanks!

Silver Serpent
07-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Looks like you have everything you need.

I *highly* advise against using lipo batteries in a saber. They're a lot less tolerant of impacts and are prone to cause fire/explosion if they've been knocked around.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=34628.0 is a good read on the subject (though it gets a bit ugly at points). Feel free to read and make your own informed decision.

http://youtu.be/VswaFOrVM6I Li-poly fire! Yeah, you can do the same with li-ion, but it's a lot more difficult due to the hard metal shells they use with li-ion.

professorcake
07-13-2012, 08:30 AM
thanks for the super quick response! I wont be bashing my saber around its mainly for costume/display so I will start with lipo. However you are right LiPos are definitely more volatile than other packs and if i plan to start bashing my saber around maybe ill switch to a different chemistry. I am quite experienced with LiPo so I will head over at the post you mentioned and drop my 2 cents.

professorcake
07-13-2012, 08:35 AM
What kind of run time you think I will get with an 800mah pack?

Silver Serpent
07-13-2012, 08:47 AM
For a display piece, you should be ok. I'd still avoid in-hilt recharge, for safety reasons.

Run-time on paper? You should get about 48 minutes of runtime. Expect slightly less.

That thread on FX-sabers has been done since March. No point adding anything to it.