PDA

View Full Version : Speaker wire

TuxedoCartman
07-09-2012, 07:30 PM
For all the reading I've done on these boards, this is one topic I'm really surprised to have never come across.

Does wire gauge really make a difference in quality of sound at the scale we're working at? I mean, would I be better off using 24 gauge wire with the 2 amp bass speaker (or lower), or can I get by with 28 gauge or ribbon wire? What results did you all have with your speaker setups, and what wire did you use?

DarkarNights
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110104142001AARgsmd

From what I understand, yes, heavier wire does improve sound quality, but it's really only noticible when using long lengths of wire (talking like 50 feet). At the such short lengths we use, mere inches, I doubt the human ear would notice any difference.

Silver Serpent
07-10-2012, 05:14 AM
I don't think you'll notice any difference in sound quality with 28 gauge wire over 24 gauge.

That being said, most of us use 26-28 gauge wire for everything. It's more due to size constraints and flexibility. I have some 24 guauge I grabbed from RS a while back. It does the job, but it's terribly inflexible. I personally wouldn't use it for any cram-fu builds (or anything other than a stunt).

TuxedoCartman
07-10-2012, 06:27 AM
That's what I was hoping to hear. I use 28 gauge or smaller for everything except battery connections, and sometimes for the high-power LED Engin. But I'm working on a real showpiece saber, and wanted everything to be perfect, so thought I'd see what opinions were on speaker wires, in case it made a difference. I'd hate to spend this much time and money on it, and have it end up sounding like an old-school Hasbro cheapie. ^_^

Jordandau
07-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Not in the length we use. That's why most audio cables come at most in 25ft sections. Anything after that is when you'll notice a degradation.

Evilpancreas
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I used 22 gauge and never had any issues. Besides you get a thicker wire that won't break easily like thinner wires.