PDA

View Full Version : new chassis battery question

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-08-2012, 12:47 AM
So these are some of the new chassis available at the store:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Acrylic-Chassis-Disc-for-14500-packs-P764.aspx

My question is:

will 4 AAA 1000mAH NiMH Rechargeables fit into them? is there a chassis system that accommodates these?
If not, what do I need to do?

DarkarNights
07-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Here is a 4 AAA holder http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4AAA-Battery-Holder-with-JST-connector-P724.aspx

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Here is a 4 AAA holder http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4AAA-Battery-Holder-with-JST-connector-P724.aspx

Let me rephrase: Is there a compatible chassis system for my batteries without the standard black holder? Basically, I'm trying to make it easier to slide out the batteries to be changed, as well as later when I out in my PC.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-08-2012, 09:49 AM
All the chassis disks that accommodate batteries are for rechargeable battery packs not for battery holders.

There are some speaker mounts that can attach 2AA or 4AAA size cell battery holders but those are separate modules not made to be attached to the chassis disks. I'm looking at a couple I have right now and I'm not sure if it would even be POSSIBLE to attach them much less practical.

The 2AA battery holder speaker mount has a 'tongue' into which one might - in theory - be able to drill and tap a 4-40 threaded hole [?] if one could drill precisely enough [probably not by hand lol] but its a very short thin tongue of a brittle material so not much material to work with and would have to connect to other chassis disks 'hanging' by a single 4-40 rod so might not be strong enough connection for a good chassis [?]. Maybe if Strydur revised the design with a full length tongue that would fit into an adapter disc at the opposite end that other chassis disks could then be connected to with the standard rods it might be adaptable to the chassis system [?]. But he might not consider it worth the trouble since more people nowadays seem to want packs and in hilt recharge not holders at least if you go by what most sabersmiths build and sell on FX-S. Personally I like battery holders but it seems I'm a minority.

Looking at the 4AAA battery holder speaker mount one might - again in theory - be able to drill 2 4-40 threaded holes and mount the holder so they would be where the battery holder openings wouldnt be but there is no tongue so no extra depth of material to work with like the 2AA one's tongue provides and have room for the speaker even though 2 rods might seem better than one for attaching to chassis disks...and anyway a 4AAA holder is for low power alkalines and can't use the 2x14500 Li-ions that would be better for a PC 2.0 esp with multi-die LEDs using FoC. Might work for a stunt setup though?

Jordandau
07-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Doubt Tim will add nimh support for chassis. The space they take up is extreme compared to li ion.

DarkarNights
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
The 14500 is equivalent in size to an AA, so those disks would theoretically hold single AA cells, but how would you connect them to the circuit? There is no disk option that would hold AAA cells. And once locked into the chassis, they won't be easily removable. Really if you want removable batteries the best option are battery holders. If you want your batteries inside a chassis the best option is a recharge pack with in hilt recharge port. Now what you could do if you wanted an all in one chassis, is build a short chassis and attach the battery holder to the back of the chassis with glue or Velcro, this would be some serious cram-fu though. Also I noticed you mentioned adding a PC down the road, well the PC was designed to best run off of 7.4V Li-ion packs, so I would design my setup around one of those if it was my build.