PDA

View Full Version : Hello from sunny San Diego

BigT_SOTF
06-25-2012, 03:52 AM
My name is Anthony, but please feel free to call me T, for short. I've been making lightsabers and have had a website in one incarnation or another to display my accomplishments since 2003, but just in the past couple years have I attempted more than belt props.

In the spring of 2012, I acquired a metal lathe. I'm learning the operations, capabilities, and limitations of the lathe, and slowly putting them to use. At the time I write this, I have a handful of hilt projects I'd like to complete before the end of the summer. If only we could upgrade to a 36 hour day, then I'd have plenty of time for everything. :shock: Seeing as I've nailed one major piece of machinery I've been drooling over for years, I'd love to have a mini milling machine and the use of it's potential, but it's an expense that will have to wait for several months. I still have my trusty Dremel and assorted files, but a mill would complete my little machine shop and nicely compliment my lathe.

I've been snooping around the forums for the past few months, but finally decided it was time to register. I'm looking forward to taking part in and contributing to the community.

--T

Evilpancreas
06-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Welcome, welcome, welcome! Maybe you should let me have a test run with your lathe......

Jedi Mynock
06-26-2012, 10:09 AM
awesome! i commute to SD from Temecula every day. wouldnt mind seeing what you can turn out! (see what i did there? turn? lathe? eh... i tried.)

but seriously welcome to the boards! just remember its a TCSS forum so try to keep product mentions, links, etc. limited to stuff sold in the store here. and NO posting anything for sale! there are... other places for that.
so that said, let us know if you need help igniting some of those creations! i could even stop by and lend a hand or two on my way home.

darren1970
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Welcome mate.

I have access to a lathe at work ( woodwork/metalwork teacher ), but only just finished my first saber build. I may get a bit more creative with the next one.

Interested to see your work.

Peterryan
06-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Welcome the all guys. My name is Ryan from germany. I am also new to Thecustomsabershop Forum.

Archangel_Gregory
06-27-2012, 03:19 AM
Well welcome welcome one and all... I'm fairly new as well and also inSANe DIEGO... sunny sandy eggo... there seems to be a few people around from out here.

Grey

Evilpancreas
06-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Peterryan, please remove the links in your signature or you will run into trouble.

BigT_SOTF
06-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. It's great to come across a few others in the general area with the same interest.

I've been buying electronics at random from Tim for the past few months. I love the mini tactile switches--so small and unobtrusive--and the RebelStar and LEDEngine LEDs are awesome.

I have a website, but I'm not here to advertise or peddle my wares; I agree, there are other places for that. I will double-check the forum rules to make sure linking my website in my sig is ok. My website needs an overhaul, though; I've not updated it in at least four years. :shock:

I'd like to start an A-Z build thread on at least one of my upcoming hilts. I don't have anything complete at the moment other than a couple hardware sabers I've been using for swapping LEDs for testing and such. I did a learning run on turning parts for a Revan replica, and it looks great overall in the rough, but doesn't fit together very well and is pretty clunky-feeling (that helped me learn that you "take twice off" when turning, but I got it down to a science, now, considering I had no clue what I was doing before). Sadly, no one will ever see my first Revan prototype, but I'll make another one eventually that doesn't feel like a lemon.