PDA

View Full Version : Ensuring i have this wiring correct

Kael-Duvar Hawkens
06-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Ok so the electronics for my lightsaber are a simple 4 AA battery holder a seoul p4 green led a 150 ohm 1/4w resistor 1 16mm anti vandal latching green ring switch and i 3.3 0hm 5w resistor

1. I should go from red wire on my battery to the 3.3 ohm 5w resistor
2. Then into the switch from the resistor
3. Then from the switch into the 150 ohm 1/4w resistor
4. From the second resistor into to the positive end of the seoul p4 green led and
5. Then the black ground straight into the negative side of the led.

I hope i have this right. If not please post either a diagram or just step by step instructions. I may or may not have the resistors backwards i cant remember.
Thank You

DarkarNights
06-23-2012, 12:49 AM
That is not right. The switch has separate leads for the switch and the green ring led. Basically you are making two parallel circuits using the two pairs of leads.

1) Red wire from battery split in two directions, to both the positive of the main switch lead, and to one of the green ring led leads (place the 150 ohm resistor prior to this lead).
2) Return a black wire from the other green ring led lead to the battery's black wire.
3) From the switch negative lead continue red wire to the 3.3 ohm resistor and then to the Seoul P4.
4) From the Seoul P4 return a black wire back to the battery black wire.

Also, please show what values you used to calculate your resistors, because I'm not sure if the 3.3 ohm is correct.

EDIT: I just realized the way I wired that would cause the green ring led to constantly stay lit as a power indicator (which is normal for a set up with a recharge port), however you might not want that behavior. So, if you wish the green ring to shut off with the blade do the following: Don't split the red wire from battery prior to the switch, but split it after it leaves the switch negative lead so it branches to the 150ohm/green-ring-first-lead and branches to the 3.3ohm/P4. Everything I mentioned for the black wires stays the same.

Kael-Duvar Hawkens
06-23-2012, 08:17 AM
I simply used the resistor chart on the website
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/wiringbuilder/wiring.aspx
I put in the 6v battery pack that i purchased, then the kind of led i had and it told me 3.3 ohm.

DarkarNights
06-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I think I know what it is. My calculation of a P4 Green with a forward voltage of 4.1V at 1000mA and a 6V source gave me a 2.2 ohm resistor, but the closest one in the store is the 3.3 so that's what the store calculator told you. It should work fine for you.

Kael-Duvar Hawkens
06-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Ok ive looked it over and im unsure firstly which of the prongs is the led ring, and the actual switch. Secondly how to tell which is positive or negative.

Darth Odious
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
The wiring charts are kinda outdated, I'd stick with the info on the P4's description page.

The 3.3ohm will give you 700ma @ 4.1v with a 6v battery pack
The 2.2ohm will give you 1000ma @ 4.1 with a 6v battery pack

The store has both resistors, and the AV switch, if you look on the side of the grey plastic, you should see NC1, NO1, C1. If that's on the left, the + LED tab will be the twisted one on top, and the negative will be on the bottom.

dustunite
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
7201top and bottom are LED others are switch you can use C1 with NO1 for switch

Kael-Duvar Hawkens
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I've looked and found the negative and positive ends. But there are two sets of prongs. A gold square set both positive and negative, and two straight silver prongs. Which is for the led ring and which is the switch?
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/slrback.jpg
Here is a picture of the bottom of the switch i bought

Darth Odious
06-23-2012, 03:49 PM
you could take a AA battery, hold a couple of wires on the battery ends, and touch each prong, to figure it out

Kael-Duvar Hawkens
06-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Ok i've tried it all, i had everything wired up and ready to go, i dry tested it and nothing. Im getting no power at all, nothing into the switch or the led

Darth Odious
06-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Try posting some pictures of your wiring

amwolf
06-23-2012, 05:32 PM
With that switch (just wired one up today) the outer gold set are for the switch, the long silver prongs are for the led. I don't know if there's a particular polarity to either set, as I just guessed and it all worked.

DarkarNights
06-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Amwolf is right. The switch leads have polarity, they are marked with a + and - next to the leads, very easy to miss, you might need a magnifying glass. The long silver leads for the led ring do not have polarity, I just keep the positive on the same side as the switch lead.

DarkarNights
06-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Ok i've tried it all, i had everything wired up and ready to go, i dry tested it and nothing. Im getting no power at all, nothing into the switch or the led

If you can post a picture we can tell you very quickly what you have done wrong.

Jay-gon Jinn
06-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Amwolf is right. The switch leads have polarity, they are marked with a + and - next to the leads, very easy to miss, you might need a magnifying glass. The long silver leads for the led ring do not have polarity, I just keep the positive on the same side as the switch lead.The led leads DO have polarity...led's are Light Emitting diodes, and as such, they have to be wired correctly, since a diode only allows current to flow in one direction. The markings on the switch are quite likely for the led, not the switch leads which do not have a polarity.

DarkarNights
06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the correction, I had that backwards thinking the markings were for the switch. I'm glad I wired mine the right way. :D

amwolf
06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
And I'm off to get a magnifying glass.